Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Last time I checked attention to detail was a good thing!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)

Total admiration for taking on a project like this!
Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)

Garage
Nice job building that LS powered 928. I have never liked the look of the 928, (too bad - my problem). Unfortunately and lucky for me, is that build is way beyond my technical ability. I do have rolled fenders on my 88 924S SE with the Porsche adjustable sport suspension and recently found a nice set of 968 16 " Wheels (7 " front & 8" rear) and it has made an almost perfect handling car even better. I would like to see you try an LS swap in a 911 with the blown engine (due to IMS bearing fault) which is something I would really like to see. That would be my dream car some time soon. Cheers from the "great white north"
Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJW View Post
Total admiration for taking on a project like this!
Thanks, itís a lot of fun and others have paved the way to make it a little bit easier.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker16 View Post
Nice job building that LS powered 928. I have never liked the look of the 928, (too bad - my problem). Unfortunately and lucky for me, is that build is way beyond my technical ability. I do have rolled fenders on my 88 924S SE with the Porsche adjustable sport suspension and recently found a nice set of 968 16 " Wheels (7 " front & 8" rear) and it has made an almost perfect handling car even better. I would like to see you try an LS swap in a 911 with the blown engine (due to IMS bearing fault) which is something I would really like to see. That would be my dream car some time soon. Cheers from the "great white north"
Renegade makes LS swap kits for both the 911 and the 944. Look them up, they have a gallery of the conversions.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Just a quick word of advice from a guy that has spent the last couple of years playing with a friend's LS7/968....Remove all Porsche related items from the equation. If it has anything to do with powering, starting, running, cooling, or fueling the engine please-Please-PLEASE make it yourself. Do not trust anything Bosch or Porsche. Sure, run the 044 fuel pump if you'd like, but please make your own harness free of the inevitable hell that is an LS powered Porsche. Start with a stand alone engine management, push button starter, ignition switch....everything....Ask me how I know.

Anyway, it all looks good so far. Keep it up.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Off Subject -

I realize this is off subject and chasing rabbits a bit but speaking of Renegade 911 V8 Kits - There was a Wide Body 911 with a V8 conversion at the Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, TX a few years ago that didn't fare well on their "Open Track Days" event. Perhaps it was not set-up correctly but it appeared that the ass end was just way too heavy in the corners. A couple of the naturally aspired 911's consistently ate it's lunch lap time wise. I dynamited a cylinder in my 930 when I missed a gear coming out of turn 11 trying to impress the real race crowd. Nothing generates sympathy like limping past everyone spitting smoke and sparks. This put poor ol' Well Hung off his feet and on jack stands for quite a while.

Just me (as a rank amateur) - but I don't see how the 911 chassis can be balanced out even with an aluminum V8 hung off the back ? The center of gravity seems too high. After a fresh engine rebuild - a 930 can get plumb scary real fast and is pretty much all you can handle even in the relatively mild basic factory boost-intercooler configuration. When twin turbo's are mounted - in the proper hands, I think it can give just about any tricked out car on the road a run for it's money.

OK - I'll duck now

Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 10-11-2017 at 06:08 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

Awesome build mate. One of the Porsche club GB members over here stuck a late model Corvette motor in a 944 and ended up with a very fast bit of kit. I always thought the 928 was over-engineered for it's own good and a GM V8 just the perfect swap. But why stop there, go twin turbos and turn it into a promod killer with the 4" exhaust just behind the front wheels. I can see it now!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatzcatz View Post
Awesome build mate. One of the Porsche club GB members over here stuck a late model Corvette motor in a 944 and ended up with a very fast bit of kit. I always thought the 928 was over-engineered for it's own good and a GM V8 just the perfect swap. But why stop there, go twin turbos and turn it into a promod killer with the 4" exhaust just behind the front wheels. I can see it now!
Funny you mention the twin turbo's. I have another LS3 crate engine that I bought and getting ready to replace crank, rods and pistons, so I can twin turbo with a pair of Borg Warners that came off Indy car engine. The motor is going in a sand car. My engine builder buddy says to throw a blower on the LS3 for the 928, simple clean and easy 100 hp addition on pump gas at 6 lbs.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

Garage
Performance Blower vs Turbo -

Hey Blagave - It seems like a blower would be the perfect performance enhancing boost for your build. Your twin turbo sand car sounds like another great project.

Do you think a twin turbo set up on a 928 would have any real estate issues ? I ran across a beat up single turbo CIS 928 on Craigslist last year that had a really unorthodox looking intake and exhaust set of pipes. Since the exposed monster turbo sat up front between the water pump and radiator, the heat under the hood must have been very difficult to control.

Keep us posted on your build.

Michael
Old 10-13-2017, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas bray View Post
Just a quick word of advice from a guy that has spent the last couple of years playing with a friend's LS7/968....Remove all Porsche related items from the equation. If it has anything to do with powering, starting, running, cooling, or fueling the engine please-Please-PLEASE make it yourself. Do not trust anything Bosch or Porsche. Sure, run the 044 fuel pump if you'd like, but please make your own harness free of the inevitable hell that is an LS powered Porsche. Start with a stand alone engine management, push button starter, ignition switch....everything....Ask me how I know.

Anyway, it all looks good so far. Keep it up.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Anyone contemplating an engine swap with a 928, This is the best advice you will ever get!! Keep the rolling shell, junk the rest.

this build is phenomenal, wish I had 10% of your fabrication skills.
'82 928,2002 4.3 lexus quad cam VVTI V8,5 spd Auto.(at the front)BorgWarner 3.08/1 LSD-at the back-Weisach retained,Transaxle gone.Borla exhaust,XSchops Cayenne big brakes front ,968 front brakes rear.Mk4Supra m/s & servo. Alloy rad,1380kgs(3036 lbs(53%F/47%R))

Last edited by Plexus928; Yesterday at 07:57 PM..
Old 10-14-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)

Made aluminum radiator tank. Have a few more bungs to weld on for more lines, but waiting to figure out all the hoses.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Welded in aluminum plugs to delete door locks and decided to delete the door edge lights as well.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)

Picked up used 1989 928 door lock assemblies. Will switch out with vacuum controlled ones which will allow for electric actuator remote control door locks. The new actuators have the plunger connection 90 degree off fron stock, so I cut the plastic arm and had some aluminum tubing that happened to be perfect fit for the plastic to slide into. I expoxy the piecess back together. I also had to drill out the hole to fit stock pin, sand down thickness so plastic arm would slide over plunger arm.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)

Garage
Very cool
Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)

Made the mount for the emissions canister that comes with the E-rod motor. Going to mount where the power antenna is in drivers rear wheel well. I will delete the power antenna and build new aluminum cover.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)

Garage
Warning Lights -

Hey Blagave - Are you planning to keep all the original 928 instrument pod warning lights (alt, brake fluid, brake pads, tail lights, coolant, etc...) ? It didn't look like you left a place for the float sensor in your newly built aluminum radiator coolant reservoir ? You are obviously a hell-of-a fabricator by the way.

Michael
Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Blagave - Are you planning to keep all the original 928 instrument pod warning lights (alt, brake fluid, brake pads, tail lights, coolant, etc...) ? It didn't look like you left a place for the float sensor in your newly built aluminum radiator coolant reservoir ? You are obviously a hell-of-a fabricator by the way.

Michael
Good eyes....you are correct, I did not include the water level sensor in the radiator tank. I asked that question to others and they said why do you need it, just check the water level by removing the cap. I can always add it if I can figure out the thread size, but as of now not going to add.

Yes, I am going to use the Stock 928 wiring, cluster / warning lights. I have sensors for oil, temp, etc. that are suppose to plug into the stock wiring. I am deleting some of the non essential electrical items to simply, but nothing more than that. I don't have the ability to re-wire the car with new modern electrics like some others are doing. The goal is that the car remains Porsche 928 other than drive train, so you can buy OEM parts for the car or OEM parts from GM for engine and trans. I always think of resale and want anyone to be able to take the car to mechanic and have fixed with off the shelf parts.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: