Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Blagave - Anytime I send a heavy item through UPS or Fedx I always have a large tag attached with "Caution - Fragile". Then as I turn it over to the shipper - I ask if they will mark it as ""Throw Under Handed Only".

How in the world would UPS have delivered a blow with enough force to crack your bell housing ? The only way I could see it happening was if the torque tube and bell housing had been shipped as one piece, the assembly was stood on end with the bell housing raised and then dropped against a concrete floor.

Good Luck, Michael
Yes, the entire TT, bellhousing and axle were all put together. I wasnít impressed with the quality of the packaging. I ship aircraft parts all over the world and know first hand what a UPS loader can do to a box. I think we have sourced a replacement bellhousing so should be good to go.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

Mounted the metal trans mount to modified stock aluminum cross member to trans. There are a few steps in attaching the new aluminum mounts to transmission which isnít to difficult, but drilling the additional bolt holes can be challenging. I used a right angle drill with 1/8thĒ pilot hole and the then drilled from opposite direction with larger drill. Also, you want to snug all the bolts and attach metal cross member in order to get everything to fit. After fittment, remove cross member and tighten bolts and reattach cross member. I am using a hydraulic motorcycle lift stand to help me raise and lower the trans and torque tube in position. I do 99% of my build by myself, so this helps me out, canít imagine how the other guys do if without.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
nice!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Well, after a full day and 3 times in and out, I finally got the trans and torque tube in place.
The resason for the drive train going in so many times is to see where it hits the tunnel. You have to bend the heat shield tabs up so the TT will clear. You also need to cut a couple ears off the differential and take a large hammer and pound some clearance in the tunnel. I am doing a rear seat delete so the little intrusion is not an issue in the rear seat area and doubt it would effect the rear seat pads. The differential comes very close to the the battery box and scraped my aluminum cover. Pissed me off so I cut the corner of the battery box out and plasma cut a piece of tubing in half and welded in. You donít have to do this, I just wanted the clearance.
Still need to hang suspension, the new mounts are very close to the inboard CV flange.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Few more pictures

Old 10-28-2017, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)

Frustration peaking on my build. Received replacement TT housing for cracked one today and it is the wrong one. They sent the bell housing for TT to engine instead of to trans.
Cut notch in tunnel to clear shifter clamp. Made up wire harness on trans for VSS, reverse lockout and reverse lights. Also, modified a battery tray to fit in battery box. Using a Optima red top battery.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Made a bracket for the VSS and reverse lockout to mount to. Also finished up mount for battery.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Installed steering rack and noticed the steering shaft was touching the header flange. The flange is over sized compared to the exhaust flange that bolts to it, so I ground some clearance.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Started running the wire harness and plugging things together. The accelerator is electronic and has a 2Ē wide connector. With the assist of Dinsdale, took the connector apart and ran harness through the throttle cable hole in firewall. I drilled out the rubber gromet and reused to seal.
I watched a video online on how to remove the pins and you donít need any fancy tool, just a pin or something small to release the pins. Took a total of 10 minutes to disassemble and reattach.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Garage
Steel Toed Toes -

Hey Blagave - In one of the pictures showing the Torque Tube/Trans test install there is a bare foot along side a stylish soft toed shoe. I thought I was the only one who worked on their cars in such obvious comfort. Or are those OSHA compliant steel toed toes ?

Great build documentation -

Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 11-06-2017 at 04:48 PM..
Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Blagave - In one of the pictures showing the Torque Tube/Trans test install there is a bare foot along side a stylish soft toed shoe. I thought I was the only one who worked on their cars in such obvious comfort. Or are those OSHA compliant steel toed toes ?

Great build documentation -

Michael
Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Had the A/C condenser flushed and installed new receiver drier. Mounted back in car so i can figure hoses and fittings.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)

Installed proper flywheel, pressure plate and disc.
Installed the drivetrain and heat shields.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Garage
Factory heat shields?

Thanks for the update
Old 11-12-2017, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdskip View Post
Factory heat shields?

Thanks for the update
Yes, everything is stock. I had to cut approx. 1Ē off the rear shield were the parking brake cable runs to drivers side.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)

Installed rear suspension and axles. Everything went together fairly smooth, only had to massage one bracket.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)

Been working on the fuel system. I picked up some fittings that allow me to weld on to the existing metal fuel lines and have AN-6 fitting. I am taking the fuel pump supply line and using the connector mated to AN adapter. I will go from there to the pressure regulator, out of regulator to fuel rail on manifold. The bottom of the regulator has return, which will go into the cooler and then out back to fuel tank with stock line. All lines will be pressure tested. I have the setup for the AN side, just need the metric plug.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)

Going to mount the fuel regulator on fire wall. I fianally was able to remove the engine lift plate so I could put the manifold back in place. Found good location for reg. Just need to notch engine cover.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)

Installed hurst short shifter.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)

Mounted Fuel Regulator on fire wall. Made up -6 AN fittings SS braided fuel lines. I use a handy kit that allows for easy SS line into AN fitting and allows pressurizing the connection. Install adapter, pressureize and put in water to check for leaks.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: