Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
My First Super Car '85 928S

No stranger to old Porsches here. I've owned many 924S and 944. Also been through a couple 914s. Co-owner on a track Boxster and now I'm into my second Cayman daily driver. But I've been lurking and peeping at 928s and this one just kind of feel in my lap.

It popped up on Craigslist without a price and a very sparse description. I suspected it was a diamond in the rough and when I went to look at it - yes sir! So a retired carpenter had bought it from his landlord who had left it sitting for 17 years in a warehouse. The landlord had a mechanic working on it and got tired of waiting (and paying) and decided to sell it to his tenant.The mechanic had found rodent damage to wiring and had done some repairs. I saw a new fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plug wires. The grey interior looked pretty rough with a lot of dust but when I pulled back the front seat covers a bit - I could tell the leather was holding up really well. The car had a new battery and I put the hot lead back on it and the dash is lighting up, headlights raise and turn on, turn indicators and even the OE radio is making noise.

The exterior looked pretty good with original paint Garnet Red Metallic. There's a couple small dents in the left front fender but nothing major. No broken windows or mirrors although the drivers exterior mirror is loose on the stalk. Seals look really good for the age of the car with only the drivers window scraper showing cracks.

The owner tells me the mechanic couldn't get it to crank with the ignition key but had bridged the starter and it turned over a couple times. And now I'm thinking this could be a fairly easy fix. The purchase price is $2200 and I have to admit, that's a good buy even if it's a non-runner at this point. So I tell the man I'll be back Saturday with cash and a trailer.

So today I arrived to pick it up. Two of the dry rotted tires won't hold air but that's okay - I've got a wench in my trailer. I did jack the front end up, remove the belly pan and put a ratchet on the crank pulley. I spun it around a couple times and there's plenty of compression. Meanwhile the seller gets that mechanic on the phone and he confirmed the repairs I observed. He says he dropped the tank, dumped the fuel and it didn't look too bad. That has me optimistic the injectors and fuel lines aren't clogged (nothing a little Techron won't fix). Anyway, I get the car loaded and back to my garage.

Note that I found this one only about 20 miles from my house. I've traveled hundreds of miles to buy Porsches in much worse shape!

Unloading with the bad tires was a challenge but eventually I was able to roll the beast into the garage. First thing was put on some 15" wheels with good tires off my 931. This 928S came with BBS 16" and I like those.

Next I'm cleaning the interior and that's when I realize just how special these 928s are. The craftsmanship is far superior to 924 or 944. This 928S has the all leather option and it's literally leather everywhere! The dash has some deformation around the vents and one bad crack on the instrument pod but otherwise - no cracks or tears. I'm using leather cleaner conditioner and will probably go over everything a couple times. The carpets aren't too bad. No signs of interior water leaks. Dry floor pans. I found the owners manual and the original dealer price sticker! $52,817 for this car to the original owner from Porsche Audi of Broward.

So my next step is to replace the timing belt as I've got no idea how old that is. There's no contact using the key but I suspect that because it's the alternate key and this car has factory alarm. I'll be reading up on how to disable that tonight but for now, I very pleased with my latest Porsche rescue!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Welcome. Really nice car. Make sure you replace all the rubber fuel ines, including the ones by the firewall....these things like to burst into flames.
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 08-26-2017, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Timing belt prep

Yesterday I prepared for changing the timing belt. I dropped the cracked and sun-baked chin splitter, brake ducts and fan shroud. That is the first fan shroud I've seen that splits in half! Bravo Porsche engineers! I also pulled the air filter, cold flow intakes and air distributors. I found the rodent damaged wires under the air filter. It's a harness branch with 3 red with stripes wires. No sign of what those attach to. Also noted extensive gnawing on the under hood insulation pad. I should have the timing belt on Wednesday. While I'm waiting, I'll probably pull the front seats and give the carpets a good shampoo.

Last edited by The Glademister; 08-28-2017 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: wrong photo
Old 08-28-2017, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Original dealer sticker

That was A LOT of money back in 1985!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, $52,817 would buy a decent house back then. I was lucky on mine to get one with only 37K original miles and one owner. I like to see these cars restored to original if possible. I get many compliments on mine. People leave notes on the windshield, "I would like to buy this car", or "what kind of car is that", etc. The styling is better than the 911 and almost looks like a new car today. Those Shark head lights are really unique.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborman View Post
I like to see these cars restored to original if possible.
That's the plan on this one at this time. I've been doing strip down, performance modifications lately on 914 and 924S but this one deserves original. I've also got a '82 931 on the back burner but that's a very extensive project needing engine rebuild, body work and paint. Hopefully I can get this 928S on the road and slowly add the cosmetic parts while I drive and enjoy it.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
They are fun to drive and being 6'3" I am comfortable once in. Hope your restoration goes well and you can enjoy the car. Mine is all stock except for the radio, but I kept the original in a box. I even have the cargo net, Porsche gloves when changing a flat, owners manual, most of the tools, but not the window sticker.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
It's a rodents world and we're all living in it!

I'm always amazed at the stuff under these old Porsches seats when I pull them. This one had a complete waste bin for acorn shells under the drivers. About 2" deep! Then passenger side gave me some real problems. It would only move about 2" front and back with the electric motor. It was in the back position so I was able to extract the front seat rail screws but even after pulling the drive cable off the motor and turning each with vice grips - it would bind up. So I sprayed the rails and threaded rod really well with PB Blaster and started working it back and forth. I discovered that one slider was ahead of the other and that was contributing to the binding. If you spin the manual hex and the gears slip - you're only moving the outboard side, which I suspect someone had done. I was finally able to get the seat all the way forward to remove the rear screws and pull the seat. Another factor in the binding was the threaded rod was somewhat corroded (Coke spills or mice urine) and general funk stuck in the threads. So after cleaning that off with brake cleaner and lubing well, the passenger seat appears to work as well as the drivers. I vacuumed the floor pans out and this weekend I'll do multiple carpet shampoos and condition the leather seats before re-installing.

I'm also going to defeat the Porsche alarm system while the seats are out and do a thorough inspection on the wiring panel. There will probably more chewed wires back there and it's so much easier to work with the seats out.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Of mice, belts and alarms.

I dived into the belt replacement having almost all of labor day week off from work. That removing the belts was mostly routine but some surprises this being my first 928. The complexity of belts, pulleys, etc. is fairly intense. Going by the shop manual I locked the flywheel off at what I thought was TDC (nice markings on the crank pulley, not so much on the camshaft sprockets). Anyway, when I relaxed tension on the timing belt, the camshafts moved off the marks I had scribed on them (having not found the factory marks). That had me puzzled and concerned. It took me a while to figure out that it was valve springs pushing the cam off. Later that night I found an excellent write up for 32 valve 928 timing belt. So those marks are on the backside of the cam sprockets, crap. And... you've got to set the crank shaft plus 45 degrees to get all the valves closed. You think they would have written that into to the shop manual. So yesterday I put the old timing belt back on, making sure my scribed marks lined up, released the flywheel and got the crankshaft spun to plus 45 degrees. Then made another set of camshaft marks for the REAL TDC and plus 45. I'm going to re-build the belt tensioner as the boot was completely toast. I'm also replacing the water pump and tensioner pulley. Most everything else looks pretty solid on the front of engine. I did drop off the starter and alternator at a local shop for cleaning, testing and rebuild (if needed). My experience with cars this age is those are going to fail soon after getting the car running so might as well just knock that out.

So while I'm waiting on parts for the belt project, I also strip out the map tray and glove box to get to the alarm module. Not knowing exactly the location, I found a massive mouse nest inside the console. Sucked that crap out with a shop vacuum and observed no apparent damage to wiring in there. These mice must have had a good food source and didn't develop a taste for wiring insulation. Located the alarm module, disconnected and jumped the pins on the plug. Turned ignition on and the instrument panel looks much better without all the warning lights on.

Once I get everything back together, I might attempt a start. Although the idle control valve is disconnected, I should be able to get the engine to fire up briefly with ether. That would be a real confidence booster!

Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Tested all the ignition and fuel pump relays last night. Interesting that they are all the generic multi-purpose relay. Anyway, the fuel pump is just making a thunk when I jump the relay socket. Odd, because it's a recent replacement part. I'll confirm 12V and clean the ground. I looked at the PET and apparently there's either an internal pump in the tank or a filter but no indication of when that changed. The same appears to apply to the accumulator. If I can get by without the internal pump, I'd much prefer that. That part is super expensive. I had to replace one on my 931.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like a lot of work. But you will definitely know that car when you are done.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Belt madness.

After receiving the ordered parts, I started in on the water pump replacement. Nothing unusual there and the pump that came off was probably good for a while yet. I noted that the coolant and chambers looked very clean. I suspect this car has had at least one coolant change at some point. Taking it just an hour or two in the evenings, I started by rebuilding the tensioner, putting on the new belt, applying tension, rotating the crank, checking timing marks, re-tensioning, etc. Satisfied that everything was lining up correctly, I then put the covers back on, installing the new rotors and distributors. Friday, I set aside the whole evening to put the accessories and belts back on. The first issue was the new belt for the power steering put is too short. Crap! Then I discovered that one of the mounting ears on the AC compressor is broken off. Another crap! I figured I could at least get the alternator back on so I could start cranking the engine but that new belt is not only too long... it's 5-row instead of 6-row. That's the last time I'll buy belts at O'Reilly! I checked the Porsche PET against the O'Reilly parts and there's definitely a difference. Perhaps those two belts fit the S1 928? Anyway, I cleaned up the AC compressor today and I'm trying JB Weld on that mounting ear. I'll give that a couple days to cure and then I'll try to install everything with the old belts on the PS pump and compressor.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
PTO day yesterday and I spent about 4 hours working on this project. I got all the belts installed except the AC compressor. The JB Weld didn't have the strength to hold that broken mount. So after putting all the hoses back on, throttle control mount, plugs and wires - I'm ready to crank this beast. Note that I've installed a re-built starter and alternator. Fully charged battery with charger on boost, turn the key and all I've got is the starter relay clicking. So I read several posts regarding starter wiring, ignition switches, etc. but I haven't metered voltage at the starter yet. I've tested all four relays related to starting and ignition using the horn circuit (simple and reliable). Tips on next steps much appreciated!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
glademister - you can have that mounting lug welded back on - mine was done before i got the car and it has held up well - might want to rebuild the compressor while you're working on it - they sell kits for that - i did mine - not too complicated
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honerboys View Post
glademister - you can have that mounting lug welded back on - mine was done before i got the car and it has held up well
+1 I had it done also.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Any update, did you get her cranking over?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Back together and cranking.

Burning up another PTO day yesterday and I first took the offending rebuilt starter back to the shop. Wrong terminal for the ignition 12V. Apparently the solenoid is different from OE so when bench tested, it's fine. Back at my garage, I reinstalled the starter and decided to fix the chewed wires going to the idle control valve. That involved removing all the intake runners and injectors so in I went. I also found some loose vacuum hoses off the throttle body which I fixed with some extra hose I had. Splicing the wires involved laying on top of the engine (painful) but done. I noted a fried connector to the crank sensor so that will need to be replaced. Meanwhile, a email to a trusted Porsche parts source reveals that the intake gaskets are NLA so after some throttle body clean-up I'm ready to put everything back together. When complete I'm cranking the engine, spraying ether and it's occasionally stumbling but not catching. Jumped the fuel pump circuit and cranking but no improvement. No tach bounce either. This morning I read a few posts regarding this starting condition and that's given me a few ideas.

And thanks for the tip on getting the compressor welded gentlemen. I actually had another forum member send me one for shipping costs only. I'll install that next time I'm into the front of the engine.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
The valley of rodents

So I went back into top end to change out the reference sensor. I probably could have changed that without removing the intake but I knew there was a real mess under there. Understatement for sure. Oil, dirt and mouse nesting big time. After I cleaned all that up I removed a couple parts for better access to the sensor. That came apart trying to pull out so I had to drill out the remains. The magnet inside is super hard and I broke several small drill bits. I was finally able to drive the last 1/2" down into the bell housing and gave the crank a turn which dropped the pieces to the bottom. Last time I changed one of those I did it during a clutch and flywheel job. So much easier to drive it up and out. You can bet I'll be putting some anti seize on the new one. And while drilling my chuck buggered up the heater control valve so I'll have to replace that. I did note that the vacuum line going to the transmission is floating loose and I found another vacuum line off the FPR with was probably contributing to the no start condition. And of course all three rubber mounts on the throttle body/AFM assembly broke so I'll have to replace those. All those parts went to my bench for clean up. While I'm waiting on parts, I cleaned up the front fender liners and found the drivers side partition had some repairs to what appears to have been damage in a bad collision. Makes me wonder if that fender is a replacement. I did a better fix with some scrap sheet metal and pop rivets. Note that this car is intended to be a driver... not concours.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Fahrenheit 451

And ladies and gentlemen - it lives! After getting some critical parts, I put the intake back together this morning and started cranking. The engine came to life after trying several throttle positions. At first I had to give at least 1/2 throttle but eventually the idle control valve kicked in and it was able to settle into a decent idle. I noticed some smoke coming up around the driver side exhaust header which smelled like burning leaves. I figured that would roast off and continued applying throttle. Then I noticed the smoke was getting quite heavy and looked down around the header and there's flames down there. Crap! The shop fire extinguisher put those out. I shut down, pulled the battery lead and got the car up on jack stands to check the damage. Amazingly there was none. Mice nesting on the drivers side engine mount had caught fire. So I cleaned up all remaining materials and blew off all the fire extinguisher residue. The engine fires right back up and after I get the air filter parts back on, I'm ready for the first road test. The transmission goes right into drive with no issues. Reverse was a little more dodgy but eventually that settles in as well. I got stuck a little bit down the road for a few minutes but after cranking and trying different throttle settings again, I get the car moving at speed. I parked back at the house and gave the car it's first wash in my care. I love that feeling when I can get a car this neglected running and back on the road. I'll probably get some Sea Foam and blow that through the intake before I change the oil and filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZgOWNpt9k

Old 10-13-2017, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations, and that is a fantastic feeling isn't it? Well done.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: