Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
road trip 2

so ..seeing as how the car ran so well a couple of months ago on our trip to new mexico we thought we'd try something a bit longer - last week we drove out to san diego for a visit with relatives - the car ran great and we had no problems (well minor ones) -it cruised at 85 all day (8 hours - we stopped in mesquite nevada on the way there and st. george utah on the way back - it used a quart of oil the whole trip, which sort of surprised me since it didn't seem to use any going to new mexico - but i guess that would fall under normal consumption for a car this old - gas mileage was about 19-20 - again that seems normal - i was more paranoid about getting a flat out in the desert so i took 2 cans of fix-a-flat and a 12 volt inflater - happily neither was needed - the car drove ok but there is still a bit of shake above 85mph - it had a shake on previous trip so before we left i had the front rotors turned, front wheels balanced, and an alignment done and there was an improvement but still a little shaky - the steering wheel shakes a bit but i'm not sure it's the front end - it could be the rear bouncing and transferring that to the front (make sense to anyone?) - i should have had the rear tires balanced and rotors turned before i left - the shake would come and go according to speed - smooth until 85, bad at 90- 100 - then it would smooth out again until it was full out then it shook again - to tell the truth i've had the mini van over 100mph and it felt more stable - it sounds like a wheel balance thing but what does the forum think? - i would think this car should be rock solid from 0 to wide open top speed - what do you think i should try next? - the minor issues:

1 : soon after we left denver my wife complained about the seat belt tightening up on her while we were driving - i..of course..dismissed it as she just wasn't used to the car - well i did pull over and i'll be damned if the seat wasn't sliding itself forward - seems there is some kind of short that only happens when someone is sitting in the seat - i pulled the slide switch and that "fixed" that - i'll have to look under the seat to see what the deal is

2: for some unknown reason the rear hatch would not open with the key - it always has since i've been driving it - would only open electrically - more work

3: i'm running some old, but with good tread, tires on this car - coming back we ran into some serious rain in utah - we were cruising along when i got that sickening feeling in the wheel that i was no longer in contact with the road - i haven't hydroplaned like that since my old vw bug days -had to slow it way down untill we got to the colorado border - new tires might be in order - depends on whether i'm keeping the car or not - a decision to be made in the spring

all in all the trip was fun and the car drove great (except for shake) - my wife actually likes driving in this car since it drives like a bigger car

Last edited by honerboys; 09-20-2017 at 07:42 AM..
Old 09-19-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
By Guess and By Golly - Spare

Hey Honerboys- My wife and I also enjoy traveling in our Miss Purdy and have taken an assortment of routes from Texas out toward both coasts. Like on your trip to "Kalifornia", we often have had to deal with a few of the typical 928 glitches but nothing so far that has required an emergency AAA roadside service call.

While coming down hill out of Colorado during our latest road trip I stayed right in amongst a pod of vehicles averaging 80 - 90 mph and got about 19 mpg. One other point that others might (please) comment on when it comes to crossing a long hot desolate stretch of desert interstate with a 928 collapsible spare tire under the back deck -

What is the best solution or option other than my current "By Guess and By Golly can of Fix-A-Flat", air compressor and a cell phone ?

Michael
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I would guess your shake is probably tire / wheel balance. I recommend you get new tires , as you mentioned, and have them balanced on the car. This has cured my issues more than once in the past:
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My thought on supplies taken along on a road trip: If you have the supplies with you, you will never need them and not use them. It's only when you don't take the supplies, that you will need what you didn't bring along and should have.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 09-20-2017, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
AAA card is the best tool in my toolbox, always.

Glad it was a good trip!
1974 914 (3.2L swap underway)
1984 928s (S4 engine and suspension), 1987 928S4
Old 09-21-2017, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
michael - i not only took 2 cans of fix-a-flat but a tire repair kit (tire plugs and installation tools) along with the inflater in case things got really bad - i don't know of a better solution - i guess with the 30 year old collapsible spare you could at least move the car - but i'm not sure at what speed i'd be comfortable with - i don't have the spare - i once had 2 of them but they went off with the 944's when i sold them - i guess you could put a full size spare in the rear area with seats folded forward when on a long trip - take up lots of room though - and yes stepson, what you say is true - i tried to think of supposedly minor things that could go wrong and take "fixes" for them with us - i'm ok with calling for roadside assistance for a major breakdown - but i think it would hurt my "car guy" pride to have to call for something like a flat - kind of like running out of gas
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Network Native

Shakes above 85 make me think its beyond a tire balance, but whatever it is, its a rabbit for long term owners to chase.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
danglerb - so what do you think it could be? - i tried coasting down the mountain with clutch depressed...car still shook so i don't think it's anything in the engine or clutch area - i had already replaced the tube bearings so i don't think they would be the culprit - tranny?? - everything in the rear seems tight suspension wise - drive shafts don't have excessive play - only thing left i can think of would be balance and/or brake rotors out of true - i would sure like to figure this out - while i don't often drive above 85mph sometimes when passing or accelerating to merge on a highway i will -
Old 09-24-2017, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
ok a follow up to this trip - after we returned from california the car went back to being a once or twice a week driven car - so i put maybe another 200 miles on it since we've been back - i wanted to change the oil before the weather got real cold - while i'm under there i see that the left front tire is worn down to the steel belts - now as i said these tires were old but they still had about 5/32 on them so i figured they would be good for this 2500 mile trip, then i'd replace them - also as i said i had an alignment performed 2 days before we left at a local shop that was recommended by a friend - they assured me they knew how to align this car and told me everything was within spec - so we were cruising around at highway speeds (sometimes a bit more) on these tires blissfully ignorant of what was happening where the rubber meets the road - this picture might explain at least some of the vibration and hydroplaning - i called the shop and they couldn't have been nicer - explained that the regular alignment guy was out that day so a replacement did my car - they were sorry and would happily refund the $90 i paid them - so today i got 4 new tires installed- now i have to find a place to align it - i drove it straight home from tire shop and parked it - don't want to put any miles on the new tires until i can get a good alignment - anybody got any suggestions in denver area? - from what i read on here even a porsche dealer might not know much about these cars anymore - i don't know that they did lift it but would lifting the car before aligning it cause the camber to go negative like that - i now can see just by looking at the car both front wheels are slanted out at the bottom

Old 11-24-2017, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Front Tire Wear -

Hey Honerboy - Like many 928 Porsche owners, including myself, we've discovered - there are some shops around that aren't familiar with the proper alignment procedure for the 928. The front tires can not be raised off the ramp's circular Zeroing discs during the equipment setup because our front suspension tucks in and away from the normal "straight down the road" position. If the generic alignment procedure continues from this point, the "tucked front end" components will result in a terrible toe out. This will rapidly destroy the the inner edges of both front tires once you're back on the road.

I did have one tire shop compensate me for their self inflicted error on one of my early 928 purchases. Before I was able to talk to their tech, the shop manager about had me convinced that I needed a complete front end rebuild.

Here is a brief overview of what to look for -

https://members.rennlist.com/captearlg/928align.html
Good Luck, Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 11-25-2017 at 07:54 AM..
Old 11-25-2017, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I would say the alignment was improper and those tires look old and warn out. Not all shops know how to align the 928.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 11-25-2017, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: