Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Wipers out of sync

Hi All,

Its a 928 S2 4.7 1984 Euro Spec right hand drive

I was driving in heavy rain and somehow one wiper hit the other and caused my problem.
The wipers are now out of sync and i cannot seem to get them back into sync
The problem was with the left wiper blade which hit the right one.
I cannot get this back into sync and it may have affected the right one now, im not sure. The right one seems to be playing up but the left one will not sync so keeps hitting it anyway.

Unrelated to this problem the wipers also dont park. I got used to putting them off at the right time to keep them in the parked position. So it would be handy to get this fixed also.

any help would be much appreciated, thanks

tiger928
Old 10-01-2017, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
remove the wiper arms from the car first - clean the splines on the wiper shaft - i believe the park position is controlled by the wiper relay on the fuse panel - that should be either cleaned or replaced - once that is replaced the wipers should park when the switch is turned off - you need to know where the park position is before you can fix the out of sync issue after - as for the out of sync problem - one or both of your wipers has slipped on it's shaft - re-install the wiper arms - position them where they should be when parked and tighten up the shaft nuts
Old 10-01-2017, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by honerboys View Post
remove the wiper arms from the car first - clean the splines on the wiper shaft - i believe the park position is controlled by the wiper relay on the fuse panel - that should be either cleaned or replaced - once that is replaced the wipers should park when the switch is turned off - you need to know where the park position is before you can fix the out of sync issue after - as for the out of sync problem - one or both of your wipers has slipped on it's shaft - re-install the wiper arms - position them where they should be when parked and tighten up the shaft nuts
Perfect, thank you very much for this information. My car is due for its MOT in the afternoon and will fail on this, however I will order a new relay first thing as the intermittent function does not work, neither do they park. I will try and give it a clean but doubt that will work.

Your diagnosis looks perfect to me regarding the wiper having slipped on its shaft. Im quite positive this will work and will try this first thing in the morning.
I cant thank you enough. Thanks

tiger928
Old 10-01-2017, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Hi honerboys,

Just to be sure i have the correct relay could you check it for me please:

Intermittent wiper relay

this is the part number i have.

thanks again

tiger928
Old 10-01-2017, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
not sure about the relay number - after considering my answer further i might be wrong about the relay controlling the park position - that might be controlled by the wiper motor itself - the relay might just control the intermittent wiper - check connections at the wiper motor itself - be careful as if you do have a bad connection there and you suddenly "fix" it the wipers will try to park themselves - that rotating wiper arm can cause serious injury if your hand or arm is in the way - if you want to try it you can open the relay up and clean the contacts - sometimes they get clogged up with carbon and if you clean them up they will work for a while - could do this to test and get everything back in order - then get a new relay - but again i'm not sure the relay is the problem
Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
ok - instead of guessing at it i went out and pulled my relay - and yes the relay does control the parking of the wipers - so my original answer is how i'd proceed - but do try to clean up the contacts inside the relay - i've done this many times to different relays and it will sometimes cure the problem - and that relay number you have is the same as mine
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Quote:
ok - instead of guessing at it i went out and pulled my relay - and yes the relay does control the parking of the wipers - so my original answer is how i'd proceed - but do try to clean up the contacts inside the relay - i've done this many times to different relays and it will sometimes cure the problem - and that relay number you have is the same as mine
thanks honerboys, thats very kind of you to have gone to the trouble of checking your own relay. I have ordered one but it did also occur to me it could be the motor, but the relay being much cheaper is worth a try so i can find out also. However the name of the relay does make it a little confusing as it is called the intermittent wiper relay. However very possible that it also controls the park position and the different speeds of the wiper. If not then it must be the motor, however this does seem to be running well. But i will find out this way.
I can always sell the new relay should it not be the relay that is at fault. Ive ordered it from Germany, there are some used relays available here but they are not much cheaper than a new one so i ordered a new one, i dont need to confuse anything any more by buying a used relay that may be an issue, even though this could be unlikely.

I will take your advice however and check my relay and give it a good clean. If it is not the relay i will sell the old one and install the new one, at least i will have a new relay. I just need to fix the problem asap as i cannot legally drive the car as the MOT has expired without me realising. The car will fail the MOT on the wipers though it is a silly test as many safety features are not tested and some are.

Also though the tyres are checked for some reason the MOT testing station and my mechanic missed both front tyres being incredibly bald and dangerous. I did even inform my mechanic the car seems to be slipping when i take it out of the garage and making an odd noise. He claimed there was a reason for this. I then went out for a late night drive and the car slipped around a corner. I was very lucky no one else was on the road as i lost control coming out of a bend. Luckily nothing happened but i didnt understand how this could have happened. I checked the tyres and they both fronts were well and truly finished and this was not recent. I immediately changed the tyres and the slipping / noise stopped when i take it out of the garage which has been the case for about 2 years. Anyway this was a big, big shock to me. I could easily have had an accident and i would have been liable for having such bald tyres. Also this could have caused serious damage to the car or others! How this was missed by both garages i have no idea and not once but numerous times was test driven by my mechanic and the tyre tread depth is an important part of the MOT with the remaining tread depth noted! I lost faith in them and would rather learn and come here to check faults myself. I really only drive 1,000 miles a year.

The information here is invaluable. I've ordered service parts also, all recommended service parts from this forum and saved over 50% just on the parts then i will do the work myself saving even more.

The relay will take a few days to turn up, i will then try to clean my old relay and report my findings here when done.

tiger928
Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,

Wipers out of sync fixed now. wasn't the relay, new relay didn't fix the intermittent wiper
not working either, so i have a new spare relay which i can keep for the future.
I actually do want to collect a spare of all the relays just to test in case i have other issues.

I was about to take the wiper off its shaft but i noticed the nut was a little lose, at first i actually
thought i was using the wrong size as the rachet seemed to just slip but it worked on the driver side which i had used to get the right size. then i thought it had a different size nut, then i realised it was loose when my brain started to work. So, all i did was tighten it and done, wipers no longer out of sync.

so still have intermittent wipers not working but this may be the motor and the wipers don't park anyway for now i'm used to timing it right to park them and the car doesn't get much use especially in the wet however occasionally it just starts to rain as happened when it broke. i guess it just came loose and caused the issue.

Porsche 928 S2 4.7 Auto Euro Spec 1984 Grand Prix White with Red leather Interior. Original car, no Mods.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: