Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Air pump filter and Fuel filter - Where are they???

Hi All,

Sorry for my novice questions, this is the first time I'm replacing service parts myself.
I bought a service parts kit, changed the air filter, the big orange one which was easy enough and the spark plugs which was a pain and took ages, i had to remove the air filter tray to access some spark plugs.

Now i need to change the air pump filter, i believe it is called, it is a small round mahle
air filter but have no idea where it is.
Same goes for the fuel filter.

i would be grateful for pictures pointing them out cos i'm such a novice and easily confused. Thanks in advance.

Porsche 928 S2 4.7 Auto Euro Spec 1984 Grand Prix White with Red leather Interior. Original car, no Mods.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Atop the radiator and in the back near the fuel pump. Donít forget the stupid expensive fuel strainer in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufrob View Post
Atop the radiator and in the back near the fuel pump. Don’t forget the stupid expensive fuel strainer in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi,

I found the location of the fuel filter on another site, i need to take the rear driver side wheel off as my car is right hand drive, but please correct if this is wrong.

Sorry rufrob but your answers are not clear enough, but thanks anyway.
in the back near fuel pump didn't really help, sorry.
I'll check the radiator for the filter but dont think its on top of it, but there are a few bits around it i will have another look at, but if anyone has a better explanation I would be very grateful, thanks.

Also I don't have a fuel strainer as it's not a service item.
Is it necessary for me to change the fuel strainer?
Also is it easy or hard to change the fuel strainer?

thanks

Porsche 928 S2 4.7 Auto Euro Spec 1984 Grand Prix White with Red leather Interior. Original car, no Mods.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The fuel filter is right at the rear, beneath the bumper under a metal cover, it's the fuel accumulator under the wheel well I believe! Here's a pic of where the filter sits behind!

At the rear of the tank!
Old 10-11-2017, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What year car are you working on? The 87 and later cars had the air pump filter located at the top center of the radiator. My 85 had the air pump filter located on the right front inner fender just foeward of the engine and below the engine air intake tube. It was in a blue metal can with tubes connecting it to the air pump. My air pump system is not currently installed so I can't get a picture.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam928 View Post
The fuel filter is right at the rear, beneath the bumper under a metal cover, it's the fuel accumulator under the wheel well I believe! Here's a pic of where the filter sits behind!

At the rear of the tank!
Hi Adam,

ahh, ok. great pic, thanks for that.
i was going by an article on another site, not sure if i should mention the name here, but here is the pic i was referring to:

Old 10-11-2017, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76FJ55 View Post
What year car are you working on? The 87 and later cars had the air pump filter located at the top center of the radiator. My 85 had the air pump filter located on the right front inner fender just foeward of the engine and below the engine air intake tube. It was in a blue metal can with tubes connecting it to the air pump. My air pump system is not currently installed so I can't get a picture.
Hi 76FJ55,

i have a Porsche 928 S2 4.7 Auto Euro Spec 1984 Grand Prix White with Red leather Interior. Original car, no Mods. Sorry i did not state this in my original question, i guess i should state this in my title. I only have it as my signature. I'll take a pic of my engine bay and post in the morning, maybe that would also be better, thanks.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hi All,

I have a Mahle KL 21 Fuel Filter and a Mahle LX 279 Air Filter which is a small round thing.

I did a service today, or part of it. Oil, the big standard air filter, spark plugs and oil filter. wow first time i've done it myself and wow. I'm in pain. The wife had to help me with a couple of the spark plugs with her little hands! not that mine are big.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2017, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yes, generally having your car in your signature is sufficient, but for some reason the signature line doesn't display when I'm looking on my phone. With an 84 it should be on the right inner fender well as I described earlier in my previous post.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
No problem cross-referencing sites as materials.

In tank strainer is not a regular service item but at this age they do need to be check at some point, ask how to do it before attaching it as there is the possibility of damaging the tank if not done properly.

Dont be shy with questions.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76FJ55 View Post
Yes, generally having your car in your signature is sufficient, but for some reason the signature line doesn't display when I'm looking on my phone. With an 84 it should be on the right inner fender well as I described earlier in my previous post.
thanks, then its better if i put it in the title or message body, thanks for the info.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdskip View Post
No problem cross-referencing sites as materials.

In tank strainer is not a regular service item but at this age they do need to be check at some point, ask how to do it before attaching it as there is the possibility of damaging the tank if not done properly.

Dont be shy with questions.
Hi, Then i'll not bother with the fuel strainer at the moment. a few other bits to get done first.
Would like to see pics of your 'ugly' 1974 911 as i think you may be mistaken about the 'ugly'!!!

Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Hi All,

This is the front of the engine bay, i'm trying to locate the small round air filter for my 1984 928 S2 Euro spec. thanks.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
hey tiger - i answered this on your other thread but i'll put it here too - the air pump filter is right in the middle of this picture

Old 10-14-2017, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: