Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Winter is coming

Time to start those indoor projects!

Mine is a new center console to house my Android head unit.

I know many attempts have been made making these, usually by making modifications to the original plastic pieces, or by coming up with something made of sheet metal, or by making complex molds and vacuforming a 'flush' top to house a dual din radio.

My unit is actually single-din with a 7" screen, making my task a bit easier. I will be repairing my radio harness so that it incorporates the current ISO plugs (PO chopped off the original plugs and wrapped the whole mess in gooey friction tape), which just happen to directly plug into my new unit, which includes wifi and the ability to do a lot of neat stuff through Bluetooth, such as engine management, external cameras, etc. it also has navigation built in.

Rather than having something flush, which looks like somebody screwed a board on top of the existing console in most of the designs I've seen. My idea is to try to make mine with a material that can be easily molded and shaped: PVC foamboard , aka "Sintra," "PA Light," etc. which I'll fill with the paper wrapped foamboard from Dollar Tree to keep costs down. Since it's easy to mold into shapes with a heat gun, I hope to retain some of the elements of the original console top to maintain some originality that Porsche might have done 5-10 years ago, had they continued production of the 928. In that spirit, my plan is to NOT alter my original parts, other than to carefully remove the gauge holders, so that they can be saved for a later date to put back again as needs be.

So, there's my hopes and plans. Success or failure, I'll document my progress here.

Last edited by Mal81; 10-29-2017 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Cain't spell fer sh---
Old 10-29-2017, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Center console template

Basic layout of what I'd like to do.

For some extra wiggle room, I've nixed the original center locking switch and warning reset for separate switches placed below the clock, oil temp, and and A/F gauges.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Planning to make the final opening for the shift boot smaller. Maybe make it round, or would that be too weird?

Also, the original clock is recessed in the console top panel. My plan is to make it a sandwich construction with the final top panel wrapped in leather and attached to the lower layers with Velcro, in order to keep that effect.

Last edited by Mal81; 10-29-2017 at 04:30 PM..
Old 10-29-2017, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal81 View Post
Since it's easy to mold into shapes with a heat gun
Not to rain on your parade, Mal, but what's gonna happen when your closed up car is parked in the summer sun?
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 10-30-2017, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepson View Post
Not to rain on your parade, Mal, but what's gonna happen when your closed up car is parked in the summer sun?
It will become more "contoured," Lol.

Seriously, though, it should be fine. If not, I'll redo it with metal and fiberglass, or something. -There are others using this stuff in automotive applications.

Normally, one shouldn't read an msds until after finishing a project (or else it wouldn't get started) but I did look it up:
http://www.sgpweb.com/_datasheets/266_msds.pdf

Last edited by Mal81; 10-30-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
hey mal - so are you cutting away those holes for the gauges and eliminating the ash tray and moving the gauges down to where the ash tray was? - let us know how you like that head unit - i bought a cheap single DIN unit and while it does have almost everything a modern car has it's screen is tiny and it does not have a NAV system - it will answer the phone and blue tooth with my phone so for now it works - if yours works well i might try something on the order of what you're doing - keep us posted
Old 10-31-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Honerboys,

Yes, the gauge holes inside the console, but not the top piece, in case I decide to go back later. I will need to remove the ones in the console carefully. The ashtray will disappear also. There might be room for a cubby hole to store a .45 next to a Bible, but at this point I'm not planning on doing anything more in that area.

As to the radio, this is my third purchase of one of these units and have been using them for about 6 mos. The screen is 7 inches, diagonal. The screen options range from 6.2 to 10 inches. My only complaint is the screen resolution could be better, though Im sure they will improve that over time with future models.

The snob in me planned to remove the brand from the screen, but they are fiercely proud of their product and I must say the support has been excellent. To do so now seems like sacrilege.

It is a mechless design (no DVD. or moving screen), single-din, and shallow mounting depth, making it easier for this application. The screen can be positioned up and down by moving the mounting tabs held on by screws on the back, but it *does* protrude quite a lot, however, which makes my desire for a slightly recessed look a bit harder to pull off. Features include Android 6 and up, WiFi, Bluetooth, SatNav, Radio, and the ability for connectivity to stuff like mobile cell data, OBD II Bluetooth dongles, etc. -It's basically a small Android touchscreen computer. I forget the exact specs, but it streams video over the Internet well.

The brand is Joying. I bought mine for about $180 on FleaBay.

Last edited by Mal81; 11-01-2017 at 06:58 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
hey mal - maybe you could move that radio "clip" porsche put behind the radio and re-design the new unit install cage so the head unit could be pushed further back into the console? - i have a garmin gps that will sort of fit in the ashtray when it's open - small screen and i have to get it out and put it away when not i use - an all in one unit that fits would be nice
Old 11-01-2017, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I could, and might wind up doing that. My plan is to put the AC controls (as others have) where the radio normally sat. The radio itself takes advantage of not having a DVD player built in and has a very short chassis, giving me a few extra inches to play with behind it.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Pics of the head unit and some of its features...
Size comparo:

As you can see, it's about the same as the AC controller

Pic of the back of the screen and the adjustible mounting tabs:

The other head unit is a Pioneer deck with flip up screen

Old 11-01-2017, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Action pics of the unit I installed in my UAV about 6 mos. ago:

Old 11-01-2017, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The wife has had some extra duty for me on the weekends, so haven't been able to do much until this afternoon.

PA Light is a dream to work with. -It's so easy a Cayen... ::ehrm:::... I'd better not go there.. �� Anyway, these are some pics of shaping out a mockup for the first layer.

Last edited by Mal81; 11-11-2017 at 05:38 PM..
Old 11-11-2017, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Trial fitting it to the car. Having done that, I decided to move the switch gear above the two gauges for egonomics.

It's also a bit busy with the screen against the HVAC controls. I'll try moving it down in the next go.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Since I'm removing the Porsche gauge bracket from the console, I thought I should print a replacement out of ABS. I'm also taking Honerboys suggestion of mounting the radio deeper in the console with a spacer bracket, hoping that I can maintain the original depth and contour of the Porsche faceplate. I'll upload the .stl files here once I've got a finished product that fits well.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Version 1 of the Tri-Gauge bracket ready to print in ABS. I've been having some printing issues with ABS on my printer, so will likely have to make several attempts.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Whoops! I put in the wrong dimensions for the switch gear. I'll have to fix that with the next print.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
The first print peeled off the bed. I made some changes, and coated the build plate with some hairspray. I wish I could be better equipped for printing ABS. Fingers crossed for a good result in about 16 hrs.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: