Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I hit a bump and now my drivers side window won't work

So I hit a pothole. The window was down at the time, and now just stays down.

Could it be the switch, the motor?
I've taken the door apart, am not sure the best way to test things to start.

It's a 1978 928

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had to replace my window switches. Common problem. Can you hear if the motor is trying to run? Does the other door window work? Did you check the fuse? Are you getting power to the switch or to the motor when switch is pushed?
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 02-21-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It could be that a connection was knocked loose at the motor in the door. Also, the bump may have caused an already failing motor to fully fail. It is not a fuse, as that would affect both windows (I assume the other window still works?). Also, test the switch too - could be that the window switch failed, which may have had nothing to do with the pothole hit. Check the window switch first, as that is easier to repair or replace, as the case may be (I always try to fix hem first)

The window motors are very easy to repair. There are lots of write-ups on how to remove the door panel to get access to the motor. While some people do, I DO NOT remove the whole window regulator when I repair these motors. The motor pops off with just 3 or 4 bolts, slide out, take to the bench, and open it up. Usually it is filled with old, yellow hardened grease at the main gear. Clean it out real well. Re-lube with a good silicone grease (the white stuff). Also, clean the magnets at the windings. Be careful when you pull apart so that you do not lose or bend the springs. Then reassemble and install, and you are good to go.
78 928 5 spd "Blumaxx" (Minerva Blue; featured in issue #100 Hemmings Sports & Exotics)
05 997 (Meteor Metallic Gray over terra cotta)
06 Mustang GT (Legend Lime)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linderpat View Post
It could be that a connection was knocked loose at the motor in the door. Also, the bump may have caused an already failing motor to fully fail. It is not a fuse, as that would affect both windows (I assume the other window still works?). Also, test the switch too - could be that the window switch failed, which may have had nothing to do with the pothole hit. Check the window switch first, as that is easier to repair or replace, as the case may be (I always try to fix hem first)

The window motors are very easy to repair. There are lots of write-ups on how to remove the door panel to get access to the motor. While some people do, I DO NOT remove the whole window regulator when I repair these motors. The motor pops off with just 3 or 4 bolts, slide out, take to the bench, and open it up. Usually it is filled with old, yellow hardened grease at the main gear. Clean it out real well. Re-lube with a good silicone grease (the white stuff). Also, clean the magnets at the windings. Be careful when you pull apart so that you do not lose or bend the springs. Then reassemble and install, and you are good to go.
Those window switches are pretty crappy. Mine went out at 38K miles. Good luck on finding the problem.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Garage
Thanks guys!
I need to try and dig in again. Probably the old, switch the switches to start...
Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had one of my windows stuck down once, turned out to be a relay...
Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
since your having window issues I would suggest to remove the window arm assembly from the door.

To do this ,
remove the door panel ,remove the armrest and write the mirror wire locations next to the switch for easy reference
the vapor barrier,
tape the window up with some blue tape,
NOTE if the window is down then once the roller is free push the window up to get it out of the way.
then remove the 2 wires,
Note the location, write it on the door so you will have a reference.

remove the 4 bolts that anchor the arm to the door then slide the roller out of the window channel.

with the window up slide the arm to the rear opening and remove it.
take the 4 torx bolts from the motor case and gently work the motor and/shaft gear out of the gear case.
once this is done get Kroil or PB blaster and spray it into the arm pivot and the gear case .

put the arm in a vice and work the motor housing back and forth, it will probably be very tight.

Note the spray will eventually start to loosen the corrosion in the arm pivot,
after its free you will then feel the spring assist this will drive the gearcase to one side once this is happening then add some lubrication oil to the pivot and inside the gear case, work it in.
Get some deoxit 100 and spray it into the motor end where the brushes are, spray some oil into the motor ends to lubricate the shaft.
Put some wheel bearing grease on the spiral gear and insert it into the gearcase.

NOTE attach a set of jumpers to a 12v supply to test the motor/arm.

Spray some oil onto the door latch mechanism inside the door and work it in .

NOTE Now is a good time to replace the door check strap.

Inspect /repair the 2 arm stops they are metal blocks with what will be brittle plastic ,
Mark the positions of the blocks, remove the screws,
Find an old tire cut a small piece out of the sidewall of the tire put it into the opening of the stop block so it sits about 4 MM higher than the metal,
the metal block has boss that holds the rubber in place.

Get some weldwood brush on cement and a clear shower curtain from BedBathBeyond,
this will be used for the vapor barrier make the drip panels first that drape inside each opening then cover the whole door.

If the door panel clips are broken get 12 white and 16 black clips this should be good for both doors.

Also get the modellers instant superglue in 2 oz bottles.
one bottle of thin and one of gap filling.
put the glue around the weakened clip holes and let the glue dry for about 2 hours
this will make the panel solid again.
fit the clips to the door panel.

Install the motor to the window channel and bolt it to the door. connect the wires.
Lubricate the armrest anchor nut clips so the screws go in easy.
fit the vapor barriers, poke holes into where each clip hole is so the clips will go in ,
a phillips screwdriver works good for this,
trim the barrier around each screw hole for the armrest.
Fit the door panel .

Get the window switch and open it put some deoxit 100 into the switch contacts ,
look at the back of the switch to verify that one of the contacts has not melted and been pushed out from the switch housing.

If so get a soldering gun and heat the contact from the outside and push it in ,
then let the housing cool it should restore function,
if not replace the window switch.

Last edited by Mrmerlin; 02-23-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Always good advice Stan, but I never pull the whole mechanism out. Much easier to just undo the motor and pull that out, leaving everything else in place.
78 928 5 spd "Blumaxx" (Minerva Blue; featured in issue #100 Hemmings Sports & Exotics)
Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
Ed please follow these instructions so you can replace the arm stops and service and lubricate the arm pivot and motor .

NOTE you can not service the arm pivot ,motor gearcase with the arm inside the door, or fix the arm stops
and that is the main reason the windows go slow and thus the reason why the window switches melt.
It takes about 3 mins to remove the window arm assembly from the door and few mins more to put it back in.

Last edited by Mrmerlin; 02-23-2018 at 07:14 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Was having the same issue with my '84. Turned out the window switches in the center console was the problem. Taking them apart and cleaning the contact areas with 1000 grit sandpaper, bending the metal tabs slightly for better contact then applying DeOxit cured the problem. Be aware there are tiny springs in there and easy to lose. Placing a towel around the area prior to disassembly to catch any springs attempting escape will spare considerable grief later on.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Stan I agree with what you said if those things are a problem, in which case the whole mechanism must be removed to service the parts. I have not had that problem though, and after repairing the motor on several of my sharks over the years, I did not have further problems. The biggest issue I see causing motor failure is that hardening of the grease in the motor gears inside of the housing, or the brushes getting worn on the copper winding. I just pull the motor out - real easy, 4 bolts, then completely disassemble it, clean it up, and reassemble, and they work as good as new. I always just remove the motor and not all of the rest of the window regulator and rails. I've not had problems with those parts. YMMV.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Garage
Thanks everyone for the detailed information! Especially Mrmerlin!!

Now I just need one other thing... motivation...
Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
In Case You Need It...

The "bump" may have masked the sound of your window falling to the bottom of your door. -That's what happened to me.

Here's how I repaired it, with pictures:

Window Regulator Rebuild
Old 04-02-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: