Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche 928 Used Parts For Sale & Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
What's on YOUR Hood?

Refinished OEM Black Hood Crests / Badges

Pelican Forum Members Christmas / Holiday Sale!!!!!

I've made a few of these for friends in the past and have a number of additional crests for sale. I usually sell these on eBay for a "buy it now" price of $125. Christmas / Holiday special is $100 shipped.

This is a full size OEM Porsche Hood Crest, carefully bead blasted and refinished in low gloss / flat black baked on enamel. Each piece is bead blasted to remove the cracked, faded or chipped cloisonne / colored enamel. It is then sprayed with a coat of self etching automotive primer to ensure proper paint adhesion.

The primer coat is followed by three coats of automotive grade enamel. Each coat is baked on after application to guarantee durability of the final finish.

Your crest will also come with a new OEM emblem gasket (Porsche Part #90155921520) and two OEM emblem retaining nuts (Porsche Part #99959142303).

The perfect accent for your Porsche. A great match to the black model designation on your car or the black crest center caps on your wheels.

The pictures of the used emblem and the refinishing steps are not pictures of the actual badge you will receive. I can PM or email a pic of the actual item for you if interested. The refinishing pics are included to illustrate the process that each piece goes through.

You should know that all Porsche Hood Crests (901, 996 prefix etc.) are all the same size and are interchangeable. The difference in part numbers reflects subtle changes to the badge design (lettering, border etc.). This crest will fit models to include 911, 924, 928, 930, 931, 944, 951, 964, 986 (Boxter), 987 (Cayman) and 993. This will not fit 356 models as the badge is a smaller size and mounts with a single post.

CORE OPTION:

Please note I do offer a core exchange option. If you send me a used OEM Porsche Hood Crest (not an eBay knockoff or counterfeit) with both mounting posts intact (not loose or missing), and free of gouges in the face metal I will credit $15 towards your purchase of a refinished emblem. Emblems with cracked, faded or chipped enamel / cloisonne are perfectly acceptable. I do reserve the right however to refuse a core emblem after inspection if it is in unusable condition. Shipping expenses for sending the core to me are at your expense. If the core is in unacceptable condition it will be returned to you at my expense. Please send me a message through eBay if you wish to pursue this option. Reimbursement for your core will be sent with your purchase.

PAYMENT:

Paypal is the preferred payment option and ensures immediate shipment of your purchase. You can pay through Paypal even if you do not have a Paypal account.

Please note that I have been a Pelican member for over 6 years, an eBay member for over 10. My feedback on eBay is 100% with 525+ positive feedback. I have also bought and sold parts on numerous occasions here on Pelican with no issues.

SHIPPING:

USPS Shipping is included in the price of the item.

MOUNTING TIPS:

It can be difficult to stretch the factory mounting gasket around the emblem. Making the gasket pliable is the key to an easy installation. Gently heat the gasket in a container of hot tap water for 10 minutes and the stretch it around the emblem before mounting it on your Porsche.

CAUTION!!! PLEASE NOTE:

When mounting this piece make sure that the retainers are firmly screwed onto the mounting studs but DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM. If they are too tight the tension between the mounting studs and the crest may pop the studs off the back. There is also a chance that you can pull the mounting surface (the hood sheet metal) inward creating a dimple effect. I would suggest that instead of over tightening the retainers you apply a small amount of black 3M Trim Adhesive between the crest and the gasket as well as between the gasket and the mounting surface of your Porsche. A 1oz tube of the adhesive is 3M part #03602 and available at most auto parts stores or online at retailers such as amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03602-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B000CCFXYY

I will not be responsible for replacing the crest if you ignore the suggestion above, over tighten the retainers, and "pop" the crest off the studs.

Last edited by intrepidagent; 04-21-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Making a few more of these this weekend. PM me if you would like one for yourself.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Here's a crest in two tone Cerakote (not paint). Flat silver highlights and satin black lowlights. It's now on the front of fellow Pelican member "Rarlyl8's" car:

A crest in "Stainless" Cerakote on a 931 vented badge panel:

The color is a very good match to factory rear silver model designations.

Here are a few pics that Rennlister "C5Driver951" sent me of a flat black painted crest after installation on his 911TTS:

If you are interested in anything similar to the crests pictured above, or you have a custom request please send me a PM. Painted crests are still $100 shipped with a new OEM gasket and two OEM retaining nuts. Cerakoted crests are $130 shipped with a gasket and nuts.

Best Regards: Jim
Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Here's a few pics of a few additional two tone pieces I made recently. Here's another two tone Cerakoted crest in bright stainless and military black. It went out yesterday to Pelican Forum member "sennasixty8" :

Here's a newer style crest......known as the "993" style with bright stainless Cerakote raised portions and semi gloss / satin black painted "lower" areas. The black portions look glossy due to the flash but are less reflective in reality:

If you're interested in anything please send me a PM!

Regards: Jim
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

I have had to update my pricing slightly to cover an increase in the cost of core crests and time needed to work with cerakote. I have been asked by a number of fellow Rennlisters to provide a listing of available options and pricing. I have also increased the price I will pay for a useable "core". Instead of the $15 core credit for a useable crest I will now pay $25. Please see below:

Here are the options and costs:

Painted Crests:

a.) Black - Flat Black, Satin Black or Gloss Black - $110 shipped

b.) Silver / Aluminum - Flat or Gloss - $110 shipped

Custom colors and / or stock Porsche colors by request. Please PM or email me for a quote.

Cerakote Crests:

a.) Single Color - Dark Stainless, Light Stainless or Military (Satin) Black - $125 Shipped

b.) Two Tone Combination - Cerakote "highlights" and painted "lowlights" - $140 shipped

c.) Two Tone Cerakote - "Highlights" and "Lowlights" in Cerakote - $150 shipped

Custom colors and / or stock Porsche colors for a "Two Tone Combination" by request. Please PM or email for a quote.

Please PM or email with any questions or concerns.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

I was able to make additional crests this week using cerakote and caerakote / paint combinations. Please PM me if interested. Here's a few new pics sent to me this past week:

A gloss black painted crest made for an eBay purchaser. He requested a gloss finish to match the gloss black mirror housings on his Cayman R:

A Rennlister requested the 993 style crest pictured above. It has light stainless cerakote highlights and semi flat / satin lowlights. Here's a pic of it on his 911:

Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
What's on YOUR Hood?

Here's a sneak peek at what I've been working on lately:

I have been working on a type of "filled crest" but have rejected the idea of working with fired enamel. Since this is a "hobby business" for me I'm not at the point where I want to invest in the equipment required to work with that material. Secondly I utilize used crests with faded, cracked and chipped enamel for cores and have found that fired enamel......well....fades, cracks and chips.

For some time I have been looking for a material that replicates the look of fired enamel but is UV and weather resistant. I have experimented with a few but have narrowed the choice down to one particular type of resin that is used in marine applications. It is intended for use in, on and under the water so therefore is UV / weather / salt resistant.

I have posted a few pics of what I’m currently working on. These are “experimental “ pieces and not examples of what the finished product will look like. Here’s an experimental piece:

Once the resin was brought down to “fill” level and polished I media blasted the left hand side of the crest pictured below. I also experimented with how far I could take the material down before the metal on the crest showed through. You can see that it does show through in the “filled” areas. I plan on taking the prototypes to a metal plater to see what types of plating can be applied to the base metal on the crest. Since the cost of precious metals (gold, silver etc.) has hit the ceiling over the past few years this may prove to be cost prohibitive. Additionally I don’t yet know which plating material will hold up best to prolonged exposure to the elements. There are other options besides precious metals….rhodium, anodizing etc. I want to see how the polished and blasted finishes will come out once plated. That way I can offer both a high gloss and matte finish plated crest.

Additionally I drop tested the piece over 50 times from a height of six feet before a small piece cracked off to the right top side near the “E” in PORSCHE. I believe that exceeds what most pieces will endure in normal use barring a front end impact.

Here is another prototype polished. Again note that there are areas where the solid black fill is thin. I kept removing material on this one to see how far I could take it down before the backing metal begins to show through.

My goal here is to produce what would be considered a jewelery quality crest. Hopefully I'll have a better idea of the amount of time these will take to create these as work progresses. I'll also have a better idea about the final cost once I take the prototypes to a metal plater. The product I use to fill the crest is available in other colors so custom crests will be available.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Here's a GREAT pic of a matte black crest that currently rides the front end of Rennlist Member mzn50's 997:

Thanks for the pic Matt!

I'll be able to make additional crests as I'll be off of my "real" job for a few days this week. Please let me know if you're interested in one.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Still time this weekend for me to make additional pieces if anyone is interested. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

I made a few of these over the past week. Stainless Cerakote highlights and Military Black Cerakote lowlights. $150 shipped:

I can also finish the lowlights in flat / satin paint for $140 shipped.

If you're interested in one of these or another color combination please let me know!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Planning on making a few more this weekend. Please send me a PM if interested!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

I'll be taking orders to make a few more this weekend if there is interest. After that I'll be taking a month or so off from refinishing them asI have to devote some time to the "honey do" list. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
steve 911T

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidagent View Post
I made a few of these over the past week. Stainless Cerakote highlights and Military Black Cerakote lowlights. $150 shipped:

I can also finish the lowlights in flat / satin paint for $140 shipped.

If you're interested in one of these or another color combination please let me know!
i got mine this morning here in europe.... what shall i say..... it marvelous, realy realy happy

thanks again
steve
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

I have a few custom ordered crests to work on this weekend. If anyone else is interested please let me know.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Porsche Crest Looking for a Black Hood Crest

Hey Intrepidagent,

I was looking for a black hood crest and was wondering if you still made these?

M
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpi1mpi1 View Post
Hey Intrepidagent,

I was looking for a black hood crest and was wondering if you still made these?

M
Yes I am. PM sent.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

I put up a small album on Photobucket of a few different styles / combinations of crests I've made for customers here:

Refinished Porsche Hood Crests pictures by jtyurg - Photobucket

I'm planning on making additional pieces this weekend if anyone is interested. Please shoot me a PM if you would like one on your Porsche
Old 06-26-2012, 03:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Here's a pic that a customer from Rennlist sent me of his 997 Turbo and his refinished crest installed:

Just picked up additional used core crests to use for refinished pieces. Among then was two of the newer 996 style crests. Please PM me if you're interested in one or having one made from the 901 style pieces.

Regards: Jim
Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Making a few for customers this weekend. Please let me know if you're interested in one !
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
What's on YOUR Hood?

Finishing up a number of orders from the past week over the weekend. If anyone is interested in purchasing one for their Porsche please send me a PM. Each piece includes a new OEM Hood Gasket and retainers. Here's the price list again for reference:

Painted Crests:

a.) Black - Flat Black, Satin Black or Gloss Black - $110 shipped

b.) Silver / Aluminum - Flat or Gloss - $110 shipped

Custom colors and / or stock Porsche colors by request. Please PM or email me for a quote.

Cerakote Crests:

a.) Single Color - Dark Stainless, Light Stainless or Military (Satin) Black - $125 Shipped

b.) Two Tone Combination - Cerakote "highlights" and painted "lowlights" - $150 shipped

Custom colors and / or stock Porsche colors for a "Two Tone Combination" by request. Please PM or email for a quote.

Please PM or email with any questions or concerns.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: