Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
starting issues, Post restoration

FINALLY, I have my '86 951 up and drivable after nearly 4 year restoration. Tomorrow I'm off to the alignment shop after a total suspension rebuild, including adjustable M30 front struts, 17" Cup one wheels and rebuilt steering. One issue that's puzzling me is that It takes forever for the car to start. It's got fresh 93 octane fuel, all new fuel system components throughout, and just did a pressure and leak-down test per Clarks Garage parameters. All is good and within prescribed limits. One lifter rattles for a bit (after sitting for a couple of weeks) and then pumps up but outside that, I'm stumped. The idle speed is 1,000 RPM, AFR is 14.7 and the engine runs strong. The AFM is working properly, all new vacuum system, replaced intercooler, ignition system, belts, rollers and front engine seals.

Looking for some of your help out there.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Only time I had starting difficulty issues was when my FPR and Damper were starting to leak.

Your leakdown test should have confirmed that this is not an issue, however.

Can you smell any fuel in the vacuum lines?

If your fuel pressures also check out then it doesn't sound like that is an issue either.

About the only thing I can suggest is to double check your speed sensor gap - I have found that to can cause unusual running behaviour.

How long is your "forever to start" actually taking? Cold? Hot?
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again

Last edited by kdjones2000; 07-24-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Old 07-24-2018, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You are idling a tad fast too.
I am with Keith on the sensor as it is a mag pick up type, so if the gap is larger than normal the rpm at which the signal from the sensor gets large enough to be processed by the analog section in the DME goes up. So does the cranking time, hence longer for the engine to catch.
Its a thought....
BTW do you have access to a digital O scope?
Sox
Old 07-24-2018, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I set the sensor gaps early in the resto. I don't have a scope. Engine has been run occasionally during the resto but all the fuel system components are new. I'll see how it starts tomorrow after sitting overnight and a couple of road miles today. I do remember that the speed sensor was chewed up because of a missing shim in the sensor. I did install a new one and reset the gaps, then.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 07-24-2018 at 08:03 PM..
Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Measure resistance of IAT and ECT at DME connector.
Do they match values in manual for temperature?
Old 08-23-2018, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: