Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Connector stuck on the camshaft timing gear

Well, I finally found the source of a nasty oil leak, and fortunately it coincided with having to tension my timing belts that I did in May so it's worked out well. One small hitch I've run into though, the connector that attaches the plastic bit for the ignition coil does not seem to want to come out of the camshaft timing gear. I've already scuffed the metal trying to pull it out with pliers after applying a healthy dose of PB Blaster, which has me worried, and there's not a lot of room to even pull it straight out. I ran a blow torch over the gear to heat up the surrounding metal to loosen it up to no avail. I'm worried about trying to twist it to loosen it up given that it's attached to the camshaft and could potentially damage the valves if it slips and hits one of the pistons. Does anyone have any tips for pulling this stubborn bit of metal out? Any advice would be appreciated! For reference, here are pictures from the site's guide demonstrating the part and step in question.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
That one can be a real tough thing to remove.

If you have to, use vicegrips and twist/pull it out. You can still file it clean afterwards, as it doesn't have to be perfectly smooth as all you are doing is fitting the rotor onto it afterwards.

If you are worried about valves touching, turn the crankshaft back by 30-40 degrees to move the pistons down and away from the valves. When you want to line things up later, get the camshaft into TDC, and then rotate the crankshaft back up to TDC.
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 08-25-2018, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check out the method I used....
Waking up MadDog
Sox
Old 08-25-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Does anything go into that hole in the middle? I wonder if it would make sense to have the hole tapped once you have it out so that you could use a puller on it next time.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: