Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
87 951 project

Hi everyone, I thought I'd start a thread here for my 87 Turbo. I've had it for about 4 years now, and have been amazed at how incredible it is when it's running well and how miserable it is to work on when it's not! I do almost all the work myself on my cars (also have a 97 Boxster and a 75 914), but the 951 has by far been the biggest challenge, both in terms of difficulty and expense.

Here it is the day I bought it for $2500, running and driving (what could go wrong?):
[IMG]20150916_074416 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

And a more recent shot:
[IMG]20151126_094358 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm hoping to cover the projects I've completed plus the most current ones. I'll start with the suspension work I'm doing right now. After driving around with worn out struts, it was finally time to upgrade. Yellow Konis and a Paragon coilover kit with 250# Hypercoils should work out nicely.

[IMG]2018-03-10_10-50-54 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20180423_175101 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Out with the old, and some butcher work to install the inserts:
[IMG]20180423_202116 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Duplicolor Schoolbus Yellow is a great match for the Koni yellow:
[IMG]20180425_172415 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Assembled:
[IMG]20180426_071454 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Installed:
[IMG]20180427_180719 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

With the fronts taken care of, it was time to move on to the rear suspension with a dreaded torsion bar swap, and of course new Yellow Konis. More to come. Cheers!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So, I'm working on the rear suspension right now. It's going pretty slow, but I'm not exactly trying to hurry either.

Konis and 28mm torsion bars:
[IMG]20180505_155907 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dropping the rear suspension:
[IMG]20180810_115352 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once I got the spring plates out, I could see the bushings were distorting, so I ordered some new bushings made by Rennline. More on those later.

In the meantime, I had the enviable task of removing the old bonded bushings. Sawzall to the rescue, then razor blade and sanding:
[IMG]20180821_183140 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

I really wanted to send all this stuff out for replating, but I just couldn't swing the expense at the moment. So I ordered up the Eastwood Golden Cad paint kit. There's an art to it, which I haven't mastered, but it's an improvement. I think it'll look good when it's all back in the car, and if it doesn't, well you won't be able to see it anyway!
[IMG]20180828_194537 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

The torsion tube caps were looking pretty dingy, so I used Napa Aluminum Brightener. Brush it on, let it react for about 30 second, rinse with soapy water. It's quite a difference before and after!
[IMG]20180825_204554 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2018, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Ah, the memories....

Looking good so far.
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 09-01-2018, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

BTDT and glad I did.

during the build of my 951 for DE I did not initially upgrade the suspension. had to build the car from a rolling chassis and boxes of parts.

first year running DE definitely showed the deficiencies in the stock suspension.

so next year a full suspension upgrade, INTRAX kit from Lindsey racing, along with a lot of polybronze and monoball bushings, and M030 swaybars. in my case this kit went coil over on the rear.

now handles great. too bad the clutch broke at the last DE. full SPEC competition clutch kit when build. suspicion is the clutch fork. I do not look forward to this job.

good luck on your project.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
Ah, the memories....

Looking good so far.
Thanks! I'll be glad when the rear suspension is a memory too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
BTDT and glad I did.

during the build of my 951 for DE I did not initially upgrade the suspension. had to build the car from a rolling chassis and boxes of parts.

first year running DE definitely showed the deficiencies in the stock suspension.

so next year a full suspension upgrade, INTRAX kit from Lindsey racing, along with a lot of polybronze and monoball bushings, and M030 swaybars. in my case this kit went coil over on the rear.

now handles great. too bad the clutch broke at the last DE. full SPEC competition clutch kit when build. suspicion is the clutch fork. I do not look forward to this job.

good luck on your project.
Yeah, my car won't be to your spec, but I'm building it as street/track car so we'll see how it evolves. I've been using my Boxster for autocross and some time attacks, and it's pretty impressive, but I prefer the dynamics of the 944. Looking forward to having it set up for such use. M030 sways are on the short list, as well as RE71s for my square setup 17x8.5 wheels.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Isn't this a great learning experience? I'm just coming to the hopeful end of my resto 951. Yours looks great. I love that blue color.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am still struggling with the "memories" of my waking Maddog up project
Sox
BTW how did your alignment come out after the strut replace? I measured marked and was very careful, but the car was not drive-able after I put it back together. Had to do a "string" alignment
just to get it to an alignment shop.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
Isn't this a great learning experience? I'm just coming to the hopeful end of my resto 951. Yours looks great. I love that blue color.
Thanks! The Nautic Blue Metallic is quite a nice color, and I think with some good paint correction I can get it to look even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnail View Post
I am still struggling with the "memories" of my waking Maddog up project
Sox
BTW how did your alignment come out after the strut replace? I measured marked and was very careful, but the car was not drive-able after I put it back together. Had to do a "string" alignment
just to get it to an alignment shop.
Well I hardly drove it after the front suspension work because of a no-start issue that ended up being a bad ECU and KLR. $900 later to ECU Doc in Florida solved that. But when I put the coilovers in I set them to max negative camber (no idea where the toe was set) and actually it drove pretty well. Then I promptly took it back off the road for the rear suspension, since I want to corner balance and align it all in one shot.

Got one side of the rear suspension in yesterday and I'll try the other side today. Assuming I stop being a lazy ass and get off the internet! It's so much easier reading about other people doing work. But I'm nervous as a cat about the torsion bar indexing. We'll see...
Old 09-03-2018, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You will enjoy the blood sweat and tears
Question:
Did you send your non functional DME and KLR to the Florida guys ? If not can I buy them from you ?
Sox
Old 09-03-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this matters much (if at all) but the fat side of the Koni bump rubber tends to face the top of the strut; reverse of your picture.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnail View Post
You will enjoy the blood sweat and tears
Question:
Did you send your non functional DME and KLR to the Florida guys ? If not can I buy them from you ?
Sox
No sorry, they rebuilt my ECUs after I sent them in for testing. Expensive items even used!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz951 View Post
I'm not sure if this matters much (if at all) but the fat side of the Koni bump rubber tends to face the top of the strut; reverse of your picture.
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Probably won't worry about it for now, but plan to add camber plates at some point so I'll probably switch them then.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Got both torsion bars in now, but still need to raise the torsion bar tube in place and reassemble everything to check the ride height. In the meantime, I'll backtrack a bit.

When I first got the car, it wasn't boosting correctly. In an attempt to fix that issue, I started replacing parts, upgrading where possible. Suspecting the wastegate, I first tried shimming, no change. Then I got a good deal on a Tial 38 wastegate with adapters:
[IMG]20160223_183627 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Still no change! Suspected ECU chip, so I upgraded to Lindsey Racing Max Chips, 3.0 bar FPR, and Manual Boost Controller:
[IMG]20160327_194439 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20160824_200731 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Still no change! Installed new Rennbay fuel line for good measure:
[IMG]20160328_100944 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finally, beaten down, I took it a local shop, Performance Motorcars Investment. Prognosis, bad turbo. It just so happened that one of the mechanics had a 951 turbo track car that blew its motor, but had a K26-6, supposedly recently rebuilt by Lindsey Racing. I got a deal on the turbo and a complete Lindsey Racing silicone hose kit. Towed the car home and installed all that stuff, while detailing the engine:
[IMG]20160905_113619 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20160905_113613 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

For first time since I owned the car, it was finally boosting right, and with mods and 15psi, it seemed damn impressive! Such a cool car.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ok Thanks....
BTW on the bump stops here is how mine went (instructions from KONI).
Sox

Old 09-03-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

when building my 951, I called Dave Lindsey. told him I had good news and bad news.

good news, I expect to buy a lot of stuff from you. bad news, I'll be calling a lot and you will earn every penny.

Dave and Mike were a great resource.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
They are Dave has to be in the rite mood mike is the even keil guy to talk to for motor Q's They are currently building my 3.0 plus super motor for my 87. One of the motors they did four years ago just got running in Utah Dynoed for the first run les than five hours of run time 528 hp 586 tq 15 boost.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
when building my 951, I called Dave Lindsey. told him I had good news and bad news.

good news, I expect to buy a lot of stuff from you. bad news, I'll be calling a lot and you will earn every penny.

Dave and Mike were a great resource.
Yeah, I haven't used them much for advice, but I do love getting packages in the mail that say Lindsey Racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT951 View Post
They are Dave has to be in the rite mood mike is the even keil guy to talk to for motor Q's They are currently building my 3.0 plus super motor for my 87. One of the motors they did four years ago just got running in Utah Dynoed for the first run les than five hours of run time 528 hp 586 tq 15 boost.
I don't need to hear horsepower numbers like that when I trying my best to convince myself that my mildly modded 2.5 K26-6 will be just fine! But I'm sure eventually I'll end up with more. Just need to find that third job!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
A few pics of the 951 hanging out with my brother's E36 M3:
[IMG]20180211_105036 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20180211_105024 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

And a couple of small projects along the way. Weltmeister harness bar (I hear these will require the use of a Hans device starting next year, at least for PCA events. True?)
[IMG]20180506_224050 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Suede shift boot and aluminum cap, along with a Momo Competition wheel:
[IMG]20151003_075341 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-06-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
A little update on the project. I got the torsion bars in and the suspension reinstalled. Good news, I nailed the ride height at 25" from ground to the arches! Whew, I was really glad I didn't have to pull everything out to re-index the bars.

Here's the car out in the wild:
[IMG]20180923_081139 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Though I had my sights set on Potenza RE-71s for my 17x8.5 square setup, I just couldn't justify the cost. I ended up going with Federal 595 RS-RRs in 255/40-17, which are R compound with 200 treadwear. $478 for all four shipped.
[IMG]20180926_202245 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20180927_062848 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]

Off to the alignment shop for mounting, balancing and a track oriented but streetable alignment. Since I have to run small spacers on the front for the Boxster wheels to clear the hub, I'm getting a little rubbing on the driver's side front. Not enough to chew up the shoulder, but it definitely leaves a scuff mark. No matter, I headed to a Time Attack at Sandia Raceway last Saturday. The car is just fantastic! Balanced, grippy, and fast with good manners trailbraking into turns and boosting out of them. I need better brake pads since the initial bite is not confidence inspiring and they did fade some. So I'm considering some Hawk 170N HP Plus pads. Regardless, the car was 11 seconds faster compared to a time attack I did earlier this year before the mods and tires, and 4 seconds a lap faster than my Boxster's best time.
[IMG]20180927_192723 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20180929_115813 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20180929_115800 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-01-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: