Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Ok now y'all have me wondering...
Will look again when I have the car up.If so I apologize for disparaging the auto shop. I am sure they did some thing else that I have not found yet. ( That is what they used to say at the school I went to when handing out punishments )
Sox

Old 02-18-2020, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

KD you are correct it is the fuel vapor hose.
Second question:
Is it possible to get dot 4 fluid in a color different then pale/clear yellow ?
Thanks Sox
Old 03-02-2020, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

If you can find it, ATE Super Blue Racing fluid is not yellow. Unfortunately, it doesn't meet the DOT specifications for brake fluid because of its colour- the DOT requires that brake fluid be yellow or clear. I think ATE stopped selling it in the USA around 2013 because of this. However, if you Google it, you can still find it being sold for motorsport use only.

I used to use it in my street cars - pretty good fluid for street use. I would alternate between Super Blue and ATE Typ 200, which was the same fluid but coloured yellow and DOT approved. Made it easy to see when the old stuff was fully flushed out.

For track use, I like to use a fluid with a higher boiling point, like Motul RBF660.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

ATE Type 200. 1 Liter $16.95
Dry Boiling point minimum: 536 degrees F
Wet boiling point minimum: 388 degrees F

RBF660. 1/2 Liter $25
Dry Boiling point minimum: 617 degrees F
Wet boiling point minimum: 400 degrees F

So for a street car the wet boiling points are pretty close.

I did find this for the RBF660. Is this a legit site?? $13.99!!!
https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/motul-racing-brake-660-500ml/137053914/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&i d_producte=8097300&country=us&gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBR BxEiwA-EECLFZ5sD03s9TfN_UsXU1G5Gu-Y0vF629LZO77mzBhoJvUWxtH524sXxoC8DQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc =aw.ds

Mike G.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Next question:
Is there a sieve or a particle trap filter in the rubber flexible brake lines for the front of the car ?
Thanks Sox

Old 03-04-2020, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goebel View Post
ATE Type 200. 1 Liter $16.95
Dry Boiling point minimum: 536 degrees F
Wet boiling point minimum: 388 degrees F

RBF660. 1/2 Liter $25
Dry Boiling point minimum: 617 degrees F
Wet boiling point minimum: 400 degrees F

So for a street car the wet boiling points are pretty close.

I did find this for the RBF660. Is this a legit site?? $13.99!!!
https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/motul-racing-brake-660-500ml/137053914/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&i d_producte=8097300&country=us&gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBR BxEiwA-EECLFZ5sD03s9TfN_UsXU1G5Gu-Y0vF629LZO77mzBhoJvUWxtH524sXxoC8DQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc =aw.ds

Mike G.
A brake fluid's wet boiling point is measured after the fluid has absorbed 3.7% water by volume, which is quite a bit of water. If you change your brake fluid regularly and more frequently than the service intervals in the manual, the dry boiling is probably more important. If you're looking to fill your brake system, and leave the fluid for 2 years, than the wet boiling point is much more important.

If I were doing a lot of track days, I would use a good fluid and change it every six months or so - if I get brake fade because of fluid boiling, I would either change it more frequently, or go to a higher boiling point fluid, or both. For the race cars I work on, most of the time I use the Motul RBF660, and change it out before each race. I usually also do a bleed between qualifying and the race, too...

That price on RBF660 that you found is incredible, if it's a legit site. I wonder how much shipping is from Spain, though...
Old 03-04-2020, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O. View Post

That price on RBF660 that you found is incredible, if it's a legit site. I wonder how much shipping is from Spain, though...
10 bottles plus shipping is $200!!!

Mike G.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Ordered two rubber brake hoses, going from the hard line to the caliper. Mine are kind of blocked and crumbly.
Sox
Old 03-06-2020, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnail View Post
Ordered two rubber brake hoses, going from the hard line to the caliper. Mine are kind of blocked and crumbly.
Sox
I also decided on new factory rubber hoses F/R. I can't believe there is something actually inexpensive on these cars!!!

Mike G.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

The only thing inexpensive on these cars is your time and labor
Old 03-07-2020, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Any reason not to use DOT 5 synthetic ? it not hygroscopic and can get it in other than pale yellow color. My car does not have ABS so that is not an issue.
Sox
Old 03-10-2020, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

From what I've read it looks like the system needs to be really well flushed with alcohol before DOT 5 can be used. Second its very difficult to pour without creating air bubbles which are a PITA to get out of the fluid later. This is why I suspect some say that they have a soft pedal feel after using DOT 5.

Mike G.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Had pagid blacks on a set of brand new Zimmerman front rotors it are them in weeks. Put on new rotors and went to ebc red stuff good street strip pad need a couple bumps when cold. Going to try yellow stuff next.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT951 View Post
Had pagid blacks on a set of brand new Zimmerman front rotors it are them in weeks. Put on new rotors and went to ebc red stuff good street strip pad need a couple bumps when cold. Going to try yellow stuff next.
Either you are a worse speller than me or drink more than me.

Mike G.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: