Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

87 951 - New swaybar bushings - vibration

Hello there,
I have a 1987 Turbo. I recently replaced the swaybar bushings and noticed that the steering is now vibrating at 60 mph.

It happened this morning on my drive to work.
I stopped on the side of the road to check the lugnuts and the tire pressure. They checked ok.

What may be the source of the vibration? it was fine before the bushings.
Do the swaybar links need re-tightening? Could I have installed the vertical center supports backwards?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Raul

Old 09-15-2020, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Re-check the fastening bolts/nuts. We're talking the rear swaybar, right? Did you loosen or remove anything else during this process?

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Hi there mytrplseven.
I am referring to the front swaybar bushings. The vibration is on the steering wheel.
I checked the bolts and the links at the control arms, they all appear to be tight.
I will check tires and wheels next. The tires are 3 to 4 years old and are "summer compound".
I wonder if dryrot is setting in and they are losing flxibility.
Thank you for your help
RG
Old 09-17-2020, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
How old are your caster blocks? Vibration was reduced once I replaced those.

Replacing your sway bar bushings may have increased the linkage from left to right, which may be causing more steering wheel vibration.

Your control arm bushings may also be worn, which can cause vibrations.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 09-17-2020, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
3-4 year old tires shouldn't be dry rotted to the point that they're falling apart and causing a vibration. If they're that bad, you would expect to see visual cracking on the sidewall or between the treads. Losing a wheel weight would cause this though.

I'd echo the others and say check the front suspension. Lift the front and give the wheels a shake test top to bottom and left to right, and see if anything is loose. Definitely go back and recheck your work, and especially the torque on your lug nuts.

Also, did you go back with rubber bushings, or to some sort of urethane?
'17 F150
Old 09-18-2020, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
re-balance the wheel+tire.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: