Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Porsche Crest No spark sometimes no fuel.

I've been trying to get my 951 started for about 4 months since the time it didn't start in June. At first it wasn't sending power to the fuel pump, so I replaced the DME relay and fuel pump fuse. After that it still didn't run the pump. I tried using a jumper for the relay and it did run the pump, but the car didn't start. I checked the plugs and it was getting fuel since they were fouled and smelled, but they didn't spark even with a test light. I checked the ignition coil and it was getting 12 volts to all three terminals. I tested the resistance, and the black terminal + the green terminal tested only 0.1 ohms above spec, at 0.7 ohms. The green terminal + the output to the distributor was more than in spec at about 5800 ohms. Could this keep it from sparking at all? It seems like such a small amount out of spec that you would think it'd at least have a weak spark. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Are you getting a tach bounce? Is your battery fully charged? How old is the gas? Is the engine block grounded to the rest of the car? These are things I would check in this order. Keep us updated on your progress.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

There is tach bounce, the battery has been on a tender for months, the gas is only a few weeks old, and I don't know how to check the ground. The car has no rust, so I don't think the ground would just come off by itself.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Sounds like a computer issue, but you should really follow the DME test plan for your troubleshooting.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 10-17-2020, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

How would I go about doing that?
Old 10-17-2020, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Engine Starting and Running Troubleshooter
Old 10-18-2020, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

It's not a DME relay since I got a new one and tested both of them. It's not a fuel pump because it runs with a jumper on the DME relay. It's not a fuel pump fuse because I've replaced it with a known good one. I know it's not reference or speed sensors because I'm getting tach bounce. Although I'm not sure about the DME control unit, security system, or the ignition system. I think the security system is most plausible though since there is neither spark nor fuel, but I can't find the security module under the passenger side footwell. The plot thickens.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl2059 View Post
but I can't find the security module under the passenger side footwell. The plot thickens.
Mine was missing too but was replaced by a connector that jumped the wires to bypass the alarm. Unfortunately the spade connectors in the matting connector were crap and gave a intermittent starting. I got sick of that and just used nice sealing butt connectors and haven't had a problem in 3 years.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche_944_Turbo/36-ELEC-Troubleshooting_the_Alarm_System/36-ELEC-Troubleshooting_the_Alarm_System.htm

Mike G.

Last edited by Mike Goebel; Yesterday at 06:23 AM..
Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: