Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
Dash lights

Do I have to pull my steering wheel to access the back of the guage cluster, my lights are dim and I want an easy fix. Also my volt meter seems go top out at the top of the gague and it jumps down, bad gague?

Old 10-30-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
17 looks, 0 answers, hmmm...
Old 10-31-2020, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
'86 usually don't require you to pull the steering wheel, but it's easier to do so.

Airbag cars need the wheel removed.

Who knows about your gauge, could be bad connections, broken flex PC board as well.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 10-31-2020, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
'86 usually don't require you to pull the steering wheel, but it's easier to do so.

Airbag cars need the wheel removed.

Who knows about your gauge, could be bad connections, broken flex PC board as well.
Thank you for the response kd! Yeup ill put in some new bulbs, its an 86 951 and it gets pretty dark and night. Ill check out the wiring on that gague. I reads full blast, then it dropps to below 10, sometimes I get that warning light but it come on and goes off. Its a night mare to replace the alternator as you know. So as everybody with issues, I hope its the easy fix.Thank again1
Old 10-31-2020, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i don't think it's a bulb; the 951 has some silver foil paint on the back that helps the fiber optics reflect light so it's brighter, and that paint degrades over time. i recall reading a how-to instructions on fixing it yourself, but don't have the time to dig it up right now. you might want to try googling around and post what you find here.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Check out the lights section in this thread....
Sox
Couple of helpful hints
Old 10-31-2020, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, thats pretty cool, Thanks gang....
Old 10-31-2020, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
i don't think it's a bulb; the 951 has some silver foil paint on the back that helps the fiber optics reflect light so it's brighter, and that paint degrades over time. i recall reading a how-to instructions on fixing it yourself, but don't have the time to dig it up right now. you might want to try googling around and post what you find here.
Should I paint the silver foil part? Silly question, but i drive with my dome light on, LOL!
Old 11-10-2020, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy 944 View Post
Should I paint the silver foil part? Silly question, but i drive with my dome light on, LOL!
I went through this process a couple of years ago and found helpful info (I cannot provide links to original sources). I did the following:
  • Clean the light pipes of all old coating using acetone-free nail polish remover. It's a PITA but it works without damaging the plastic; acetone will damage plastic.
  • Wrap the cleaned light pipes with self-adhesive aluminum tape (used for HVAC duct work; this is my mod).
  • Install LED bulbs.
I do not recall which LED bulbs I purchased or what modifications were needed to install them in the bulb holders. (Bulb p/n's/links added below) Another issue is that the bulbs I installed were not dimmable but I do not mind:

There are two other areas where LED bulbs are a dramatic improvement. Engine bay:

...and courtesy light (main cabin and luggage compartment - this is an LED festoon bulb):

The dash photo is the only one that seems to do justice to the actual lighting. I hope this helps!
Peter

Found the bulb orders:
Dash LED bulbs: 74-CWHP3 Cool White *IIRC, I added solder to LED connection pads to make bulb holder electrical contact.
Courtesy Light Festoons: 6451 LED Bulb
Engine Compartment bulb: 67 LED Bulb
2013 Cayenne Diesel

Last edited by Peter Graham; 11-10-2020 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: LED p/n's added
Old 11-10-2020, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Peter, ill try Ace hardware for the tape..
Old 11-10-2020, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
regarding the dimmable option, i found on long drives through dark roads if the dash light is too bright it messes up your night vision, so it's helpful to be able to dim the dash for those situations. heard this was a long-haul trucker's trick and found it works.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
regarding the dimmable option...
I was wrong (again): checking the specs, the dash lights are dimmable; they just don't dim that much (but still might make a difference on a long night drive). Here's a side-by-side comparison photo; fully dimmed left, fully bright right:
2013 Cayenne Diesel
Old 11-12-2020, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I bought this kit from somewhere else and it was only $29. But looks like they are no longer in business. And I think I actually used Acetone to clean the old stuff off!!! Just need to wipe in one dir quickly.

Reflective stuff kit

Mike G.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Graham View Post
I was wrong (again): checking the specs, the dash lights are dimmable; they just don't dim that much (but still might make a difference on a long night drive). Here's a side-by-side comparison photo; fully dimmed left, fully bright right:
1970's porsche techonology! Lol! mine look like a match in a deep dark cave thats going out. LOL! Once I get some time off, hopefully they will keep me out of the dark..
Old 11-12-2020, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Maybe take a look at the wiring connections at your headlights. Apparently they are on the same circuit.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfassett View Post
Maybe take a look at the wiring connections at your headlights. Apparently they are on the same circuit.
Back of the bulbs? They are pretty bright, Ill have a look see, Thanks bubba!

Old 11-15-2020, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: