Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Calling ALL Turbo Owners

I need some help.

I didn't pass emmissions due to the Huntley Racing Chips installed on my car.

I have the stock chips...but they are not labeled KLR or DME chip and they look identical.

I am wondering if any of you know which one is which. One has part number 1267355235 and the other is 1267355138. The Huntley Chips are marked inside the computer...but these aren't!!

Any help or references would be a great.

87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 01-13-2004, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

the 38 chip is the KLR the 35 chip is the DME..
I think it should have passed anyway, might be another problem.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just went thru the same thing in the ATL with my 1989 951. First we (my mechanic as I watched) put the stock chips back in. Helped with hydrocarbons, still failed on CO, badly.

This was in July, around my birthday. Yet the car had passed in December when I bought it....mmmmmm. The shop owner started talking burnt catalytic converter from running too rich, the Protomotive chip just dumped tons of fuel in there, I often was smelling unburnt fuel in the exhaust. If you haven't checked, a new cat is $1200, although I have seen reconditioned ones for under 500 with exchange.

Well, long story short, I rode out the fall with an expired tag, waited for the first day in December below 50 degrees ambient - IT PASSED!! Smog testing is a sham. State law allows me to test anytime within 365 days of renewal, so I have another test to get before warm weather returns.

I am told that, in proper tune, the 2.5 L turbo motor can pass with no cat........but talk is alot cheaper than my mechanic!

I have lost the link, but there is a long story on the net from a guy in VA that struggled hard to pass their test, even fooling with settings in the DME. Way over my head!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thats why I love NC....Even when they start testing my county, it will be OBD-2 vehicles only so I'm exempt
Old 01-14-2004, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
Passed this morning after removing HR chips for factory units and changing the oil

First test ran 46 HC limit being 20....this test ran 12 HC!!!

Thanks for the help guys

87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 01-16-2004, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: