Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Emission test tube???? where is that on a 951?

I got a suggestion from a rennlist member to hook up a pressure guage to my emissions test tube on my 87 951. The reason is that we think my wastegate may be bad. I have closed off the line from the CV to the WG and I still get intermittent boost problems and only around 1.4 bar absolute pressure MAX (0.4 bar boost) and I can feel the car trying to make more power but it just stumbles... so now we know my electronics and vacuum lines are not the problem and that it is something mechanical (wastegate or turbo.. or maybe the TPS).. my question is, where is the emission test tube where I can hook up some extra hose and measure the pressure while I drive around?

special tool, if you see this, I am posting on here because rennlist is not coming up and has been up and down all week for some reason... thx for the help

Old 03-17-2005, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
YOu are either............

1. Builiding no boost......... check the fins on the turbo (worst case scenario a bolt thrashed it

2. Wastegate is shot. Not holding any boost whatsoever......

The emissions test tube should come up the side by the header. In some cars its been plugged up.
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-18-2005, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Measuring exhaust-pressure in the crossover pipe won't tell you anything. It's this pressure that spins up the turbo.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

alright... update: I am getting full boost when I clamp off the wastegate line from the CV.. so now I am getting some things checked out, like the CV and the injectors to see if they are okay.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Might be your knock sensor.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

"alright... update: I am getting full boost when I clamp off the wastegate line from the CV.. so now I am getting some things checked out, like the CV and the injectors to see if they are okay."

This would be an indicator that your CV isn't working. By default, the unpowered CV state is to let all pressure from the banjo-bolt through to the wastegate, which then dumps boost. This is a failsafe default mode if the CV was to fail. Then under normal operation, the KLR sends a duty-cycle signal to the CV. It then pulses on & off like a fuel-injector and when it's ON, it diverts pressure from the banjo-bolt back to the turbo-inlet, away from the wastegate. This then allows the car to build boost.

Sounds like you need a new CV. Actually, make sure it's getting power. Unplug the 3-prong connector from the CV. Then the key to ON and measure power at each of the three pins. One of should have a +12v reading.

Old 04-26-2005, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: