Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

anyone have experience with Pagid, Hawk, or Ferodo brake pads?

I have an 86 951 that I bought 3 months ago. It had Pagids all around, but the PO gave me 2 hawk and 2 Ferodo pads. I decided to take the Pagids off because I daily drive my 951 (PO used it on the track) and the Pagid pads were too noisy, and dusty. We put the Ferodos on the front (they had more compound) and the hawks in the back. The Hawks put much dust on the wheels (maybe they were adjusting to the grooves in the rotors). I still hear squeaking, but not nearly as bad as with the Pagids. Are my Hawk pads or Ferodo pads squeaking? If its the Hawks I'll probably order another pair of Ferodo to keep things quiet, and my wheels clean. I have slotted rotors if that does anything. Also, after replacing the Pagid pads I noticed I squeak a little when I let off the brakes, kind of like the calipers are sticking. I didn't use brake cleaner when replacing the pads. Should I remove the pads and spray the calipers with brake cleaner, or should I spray the calipers with brake cleaner with the pads still in? The caliper sticking is going away the more I drive, is it too late to clean the calipers? I don't want to take the pads out if I don't need to and they are already adjusted to the grooves in the rotors.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have Ferodo 451's and they squeek only very rarely (almost never), I use them for auto-x btw. If yours have been overcooked, that might cause squeeking in any of your 3 brands.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If the Hawk's are 9012 race pads, they will squeal most of the time and always get your wheels very dirty. Good track pad, however.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 06-22-2005, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've run Pagid Orange on my old '86 951 and been happy with them. I put the backing pads on them and they didn't squeak much at all. Cold braking performance was a bit exciting from time to time, but overall they were okay for the street, even tho I wouldn't recommend them for just street use.

Regards, ...Scott
'84 944 daughters car now...
'87 951 the Gen'l Sherman
'92 968 cab Garage Queen
www.kcws.org member
Old 07-23-2005, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hawk brake dust is also REALLY hard to get off.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i've tried all these pads and more, and i'm convinced that the best you can get by far are the porterfield r4-s pads for street/track use.

silent, amazing stopping power, zero dust, works well when wet or cold as well as hot, zero noticable fade (even at +140mph!), and very easy on your rotors (longer rotor life).

i'm surprised hardly anyone else even knows about these awesome pads.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html
Old 08-08-2005, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've used Ferodo DS 3000 on my other cars, had good results and was going to pick some up for the 951. Unfortunately the supplier was out fo the Ferodos and sold me a set of Pagid Orange. They sure do squeal!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I've had good experiences with Pagid Oranges as well, sometimes the slightest hint of noise on the street but overall excellent.

On cold mornings, just drag your brakes for the first block, then they're fine. Mine weren't bad without doing that either, but it can be unnerving to have to press the pedal so hard if you're not expecting it...
Ahmet
Old 08-17-2005, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i can guarantee if any of you try the porterfield r4-s on your street car, you'll never use any other pads again.

and no, i'm not connected to them in any way.

hasn't anyone here tried porterfields? i can't be the only one...
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

A lot of people who post on Ferrarichat use them on their F cars. They speak highly of them too.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 08-18-2005, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nize; I've used R4S's and R4s. The R4's are excellent for track use, but R4S's will get cooked in a day of lapping, I know because I killed a set (at Bremerton on a stock 951). I don't see any advantage over Ferodos (for $55ish an axle vs $110 an axle for the Porterfields) for street and autocross. I have a set of R4's on standby for lapping days, and Ferodos currently on the car. The R4S's worked great halfway through the day, -they looked like brownies that had been left in the oven too long, crumbly too.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

jimbilly, how is the dusting and noise on the R4's? I assume they have better fade tolerance than the R4S's?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The R4's and R4S's were similarly noisy and dusty (quite noisy, and fairly dusty too). The only difference I noticed is that the R4's are much tougher. The fade tolerance is better, I'd prefer to call it heat/abuse tolerance.
If I were to start 'lapping' again, I'd add some brake cooling ducting, I think that would help a lot, you could probably get away w/ the R4S's for moderate lapping use with some good cooling.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
jimbilly, i just noticed you're in seattle. come out for the local drive on saturday the 8th !
Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm out of town that weekend, but where's the local drive? Are you auto-xing on the 15th?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
local drive will be down south. check the regional forum on here!
Oct 8th drive ideas?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
i'm not autocrossing on the 15th, but i might autocross this sunday up at everett. i'm still getting used to the new car's slightly bigger boost kick, etc.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: