Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Turbo_ZA
Deutsch Nine Vents

What's the general opinion of the Deutsch Nine Turbo RS Heat Extraction Vents on the 952/951?
Both from a functionality aspect as well as the asthetic angle?

http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=porsche-transaxle&Product_Code=D9-944II951S2-EV&Category_Code=porsche-transaxle-944-turbo-s2-aero-dynamics
Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
They're okay. They make it unique, but other than that I don't think they really add much. You can see lots of pics of these at:http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/470610-deutschnine-christmas-group-buy-offer-limited-to-4-gts-headlight-kits-499-euros.html
1986 951 pic
Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The theory is that rather than attempt to force cooler air into the engine bay (which has nowhere to exhaust) these create a lower pressure over the vents due to laminar flow whilst in motion, and allow normal venting of hot air at rest through convection. Sounds logical and makes good sense.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

for that price, take the hood to a hotrod shop and have them make some louvres in the hood. you will have to repaint it anyway.

i like it, personally.

PPOT: the sound of one hand clapping.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
There's also going to be a few c/f or f/g hoods available soon that might incorporate some vents in them. I'd probably wait for these. D9 and CPR will probably have products in the new year.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I like 'em, I doh like 'em, I like 'em, I doh like 'em. I'm confused. I like the functionality aspect of it, but I really love the undisturbed lines of a 951. To each his own. If I had to vent, I'd go with the one between the headlights... IMPO
Old 12-20-2008, 05:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
The vented nose panel brings you back to forcing cooler air into the engine bay at speed only - does nothing to vent the hot air already there.
I am leaning toward combining the two solutions, so that at low speed or idle the rising hot air will vent upward and at speed cooler air forcing its way into the bay will push hot air out of the vents, helped by the lower air pressure created by air moving over the vents.
Anybody fault the logic?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_ZA View Post
The vented nose panel brings you back to forcing cooler air into the engine bay at speed only - does nothing to vent the hot air already there.
I am leaning toward combining the two solutions, so that at low speed or idle the rising hot air will vent upward and at speed cooler air forcing its way into the bay will push hot air out of the vents, helped by the lower air pressure created by air moving over the vents.
Anybody fault the logic?
I can't fault it. That is exactly my plan.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluciano View Post
I can't fault it. That is exactly my plan.
makes sense. Are they fiberglass or metal?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote "The air outlets are manufactured from FRP (Fibre Reinforced Plastic) and coated with high-quality white gelcoat on the top. They are 445mm long and 250mm wide, once installed they reach 9mm into the interior of the hood and the frame stands up from the surface of the bonnet 1.5mm. One air outlet weighs approx 200g."
Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
This is what I'm attempting to do, but a little more nicely finished with a c/f hood plus some extra hot air out vents if needed.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
That setup looks like it will certainly provide good cooling of radiator and intercooler but you would still need vents above the turbo and outlet manifold areas to have any effect on overall engine bay temp.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

They make good sense. I've installed them, and will be spraying the hood soon. I'm just waiting for the splitter and fixed dual light buckets to come in so we only have to mix the paint once.

I also have a large vertical front mounted intercooler and a vent in the nose. Noticed some issues with cooling and knew that if we properly vented the hood, we'd see much better air flow, hence cooler temps. We've done much else to keep things cooler, but this was integrated into the system. There is a 3.0 car that has some heating issues with a large front mounted intercooler. Hood vents lowered the temps considerably, and the intercooler and radiator have much more air flowing at speed than before.

Here is an article from European Car on my car. We have changed quite a few things since this article. The suspension has been completely updated with poly bronze bushings and a new KW V3 suspension. We also changed the turbo to a Precision billett 6262 with a .58 hotside. Can't wait to get everything back together in the next few weeks or so.

1989 Porsche 944 Turbo - European Car Magazine

George

3.0 six speed 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_ZA View Post
What's the general opinion of the Deutsch Nine Turbo RS Heat Extraction Vents on the 952/951?
Both from a functionality aspect as well as the asthetic angle?

Porsche Transaxle Deutsch Nine International GmbH: Turbo RS Heat Extraction Vents
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I see a clear example of them working all the time. I can see shimmering heat rising from them when I'm in my car. Our cars have a lot of underhood heat so anything to help excavate that is a good thing.
...excuse the mismatched wheels. Using the Black Enkeis all round now.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 04-02-2010, 02:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
patrick, where did you get that cf hood? does it have any visible seams on the top/outside?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
I see a clear example of them working all the time. I can see shimmering heat rising from them when I'm in my car. Our cars have a lot of underhood heat so anything to help excavate that is a good thing.
...excuse the mismatched wheels. Using the Black Enkeis all round now.

My first post here and you show me a beautiful hood with the vents that I've installed.

By the way, your car looks awesome.

G
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
patrick, where did you get that cf hood? does it have any visible seams on the top/outside?
It's a bit of a story. I bought it a few years ago from Van Zweden in Holland. Had it shipped down to Australia and when it go here I was disappointed with the finish. Some guy near the workshop spoke up about how he worked on boats and with c/f and he could finish it off and put some vents in. A year later and nothing happened so I found someone else who installed the D9 vents, finished off the hood and clearcoated it. It did look awesome but the sun has already created some rippling. Still looks very good and the vents do work well. I actually wanted a central vent like the 968rst but couldn't find one suitable and I got impatient and just wanted it back. So there are no seams. It looks very good, but the guy who finished it said that it had a couple of minor issues due to the manufacturing process. It probably weighs about a 1/3rd of the OEM hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George D View Post
My first post here and you show me a beautiful hood with the vents that I've installed.

By the way, your car looks awesome.

G
Thanks George. Good to see that you're going to use some vents too. I think they're a must for our cars, especially the seriously modified ones.
Here's a couple other pics. The car is running 10" all round with 285x18" on all 4 corners. Some minor rubbing at parking speeds on full lock. Car is running pretty well. GT3076 and the S2 ring and pinion make it pretty zippy.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: