Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cooling system

Guys, my 1986 951 has started spewing coolant out after driven. It's not running hot (yet). I can't really see where it's coming out, possibly the overflow tube from the expansion tank.
Once I shut down after driving, it really comes out. As far as I can tell, I'm not losing while driving or at idle.
Where to start??

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
1) Check your coolant cap - Mine was bad and it did that (Cheap things first)
2) You could have a bad headgasket - Check if your radiator hose if very stiff while the engine is running

There are others, but I'll let other chime in on those.

Good luck, Keith
1987 924S 944 SPEC racecar - '88 pistons/DME, short 5th
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on the coolant cap, had the same experience, the source eluded me, finally found that it was the cap. Check the rubber for tears, that would be the obvious indication. The second possible point of failure in the cap is that it bleeds coolant at lower pressures than it should.
1986 951 pic
Old 02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, guys. I think I have found the problem. The plastic timing cover is missing a bolt... the back cover where it screws in has cracked. There is coolant coming out of the bottom edge of the cover where it is separated, so that means water pump, correct?
If so, should be a warranty repair since the shop I use recently replaced the water pump when the timing belt was done.
I'll have it towed over there; hate to drive it thinking the water pump could go completely...

What do ya'll think? Is my assessment correct?

Bill
Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have you looked at the turbo cooling pump? Had the same problem and that was it. Spewed only after car was turned off.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbill View Post
Thanks, guys. I think I have found the problem. The plastic timing cover is missing a bolt... the back cover where it screws in has cracked. There is coolant coming out of the bottom edge of the cover where it is separated, so that means water pump, correct?
If so, should be a warranty repair since the shop I use recently replaced the water pump when the timing belt was done.
I'll have it towed over there; hate to drive it thinking the water pump could go completely...

What do ya'll think? Is my assessment correct?

Bill
Towing it might be extra, extra cautious. You can probably just top it off and drive it in. The temp gauge will warn you if you'll put the engine in danger. Since they were messing with the whole front end by doing the timing belt and water pump, I would take it straight to them regardless, because even if it's not the water pump and you work on it now, then there is the possibility that there could be a problem related to the water pump or something they touched later on, and then they probably wouldn't claim full responsibility since someone else was in there.
1986 951 pic
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: