Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I know the PO occasionally tracked the car, so I'm going to bite the bullet and do it all. Sucks to spend all that on a car, and then almost all that again in maintenance - at least it will be dialed for use afterwards.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedg04 View Post
I know the PO occasionally tracked the car, so I'm going to bite the bullet and do it all. Sucks to spend all that on a car, and then almost all that again in maintenance - at least it will be dialed for use afterwards.
I sat down once a couple years ago and figured out that I had "bought" my 951 at least three times (that is, in the time I've owned the car I've spent double the purchase price in maintenance, so price + 2x Price = 3x Price). It's probably up to 4x total by now. Still, worth every penny.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Any idea why it seems to be always #2 bearing with the problem? Whats different with that crank journal.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
it has to do with the way the oil pickup/supply works. under extreme high-g prolonged left-turn cornering, all of the oil stays sloshed to the right side, the oil pickup can suck dry/air, which starves the #2 bearing the most.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
by the way, lindsey (and others) makes a one-way trap door oil pan baffle which prevents this issue. if you're going to remove the oil pan you may as well install this;
OIL PAN BAFFLE LATE 924S / 944 ALL from '87 / 968 at LINDSEY RACING - Your Porsche Performance Parts Center

Old 06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
by the way, lindsey (and others) makes a one-way trap door oil pan baffle which prevents this issue. if you're going to remove the oil pan you may as well install this;
OIL PAN BAFFLE LATE 924S / 944 ALL from '87 / 968 at LINDSEY RACING - Your Porsche Performance Parts Center

Are you supposed to weld where the red marks are made? So the bottom part of the baffle is what's free to move?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Super Moderator

Garage
yes.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Pulled my Bearings at 160k because the car's history was sketchy, and the Coolant tank looked WAY too clean. The Bearings were fine, [replaced anyway] however, I found many other items that needed attention 'while I was in there'. I'd say wait till Winter then pull the Engine out and get the nasties done all at once, you'll know a lot more by then.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin-951 View Post
Pulled my Bearings at 160k because the car's history was sketchy, and the Coolant tank looked WAY too clean. The Bearings were fine, [replaced anyway] however, I found many other items that needed attention 'while I was in there'. I'd say wait till Winter then pull the Engine out and get the nasties done all at once, you'll know a lot more by then.
I think that is more of the plan now. The car has an appointment just after the 4th to get the tb, water pump, misc oil seals, and cam tower gasket done. I just changed the oil in it, inspected it carefully, and cut open the old filter - no metal (not even shiny flakes as far as I could see). This winter she may get torn into more, but I'm not as concerned about the bottom end now.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

You might want to search gregbbrd on rennlist 928 forum. He has solved the spun bearing issue on 928's which is an even worse issue on the 8 cylinders than the 4's. He had a newly built 6.4 liter stroker on the dyno and was spinning it at over 6K for a lengthy period of time. Suddenluy the engine was spewing engine oil out both banks cylinder head breathers. Its some very interesting reading and he is considered by many to be the 928's best engine builder.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: