Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to nnniiiccckk Send a message via Yahoo to nnniiiccckk
Porsche Crest Black Smoke when Accelerating

My 87’, 951 just started to produce black smoke about 3k RPM’s when I accelerate hard It also produces a bad smell… It seems to run fine if I’m not pushing it hard. It also seems to want to stall when in neutral; like it is not idling properly. Harder to start lately too. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions welcome. Not a gearhead so please take it easy on me.
Thanks,
nick
Old 07-26-2002, 07:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It happens to my car about every six months. Mine has a MAF unit and the plug in connections oxidize. They are in the front of the car and can also get wet. Try cleaning off your plug in connections at your intake. Also, clean your connections where the magnetic pickups come out of the top of the clutch housing at the firewall. They go about a foot, then they plug into another wire that goes to the engine control unit. On mine, those have gotten dirty also and made it hard to start.

It could also be a broken vacuum line somewhere. Follow the little lines around checking for cracks. The lines control fuel pressure among other things.

It is probably something simple.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Smile

Lawrence, thanks for the previous seggestions on my problem. I took the car into the Certified Porsche Mechanic. He said that my fuel injectors were dirty. I should buy some fuel injector cleaner and dump it into my tank for about three tanks worth... (never done that before) I'm a little worried about it... Does anyone have suggestions on a good fuel injector cleaner?
Old 07-31-2002, 06:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had this problem. I was hesitant because Porsche "Does not recommend the use of..." injector cleaners, etc etc etc. I ended up just grabbing some STP and the problem actually went away for $3.50
Old 07-31-2002, 06:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Techron is good stuff. It is made by Chevron and is recommended by Mercedes Benz for their cars. This winter I removed all my injectors and blew a mixture of Techron and gasoline through them using a compressor and so forth.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks to all.... I pick car up tonight... then on my way to the nearest autozone.... I hope this fixes the problem... If it doesen't I sure you will all know about it!!!

Thanks Again..

Nick
Old 07-31-2002, 10:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 07-31-2002, 10:19 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: