Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Nice work ! Who makes the short shift kit ??
Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I got the trans shift kit from only944.com

the shifter I got from Lindsey Racing.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

well.... where to start with updates.

got the car together and went to a DE last weekend. rain on Saturday so no good track time. Sunday was beautiful and the car did great.

drove the car, the alum racing seats with the foam padding I installed were surprisingly comfortable for the 2 1/2 hr drive. and the cruise control works.

now the driver needs to learn the car, after running a 85 911 for several years.

after trying a different known good gauge cluster, reached the conclusion there is some wiring issue to the TACH. so installed a little tach in front of the stock one. I had it with plans to put into my truck, but never did and that truck was sold. may get a bigger version of it ... may.

on the A pillar are the boost/vac and AFR gauges. and that little thing next to the AFR is a digital shift indicator. unfortunately have to pull out and send back to Autometer as is it not working correctly and they think something defective.

the concept is to set a shift point, and two threshold points below. turns yellow when you hit the first level, blinking yellow when you hit the second level, and blinking red if you hit the shift point.

lap timer on the steering wheel.

just had to push the shift boot down to display the wonderful Lindsey Racing shift lever. and the 'dial of death' just behind. so far running stock boost level. will begin to up the boost to a max of 15lb. at current boost the AFR was 10.5 - 11.5 range. good so far.

put on a new set of front rotors, as the old ones were just below 27mm. dang harsh HAWK blues. but they do work great.

Rennline gas pedal, made blip'ing throttle easy.

on track at Putnam Park west of Indianapolis, IN. car ran great and handled great. but never really pushed it hard as I need to take some time to learn the limits.

next event is MidOhio in June. so other than some followup maintenance, no major plans before then. so may not be any updates to this for a while. but eventually there will be. as far as I know, stock shocks/springs. I did install a set of M0303 sway bars. but as I learn the car and really push it, may find I will want to upgrade the suspension.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on Bob,great to see the car at the track where it belongs. I didn't know the hawk blues are so aggressive on the rotors. How do you like the air/fuel gauge.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

I like the location of the AFR as I can monitor. so far the AFR readings at various levels of boost look good.

I knew the Hawk blues are harsh, but I am finding I like the way they act. good on the street where other track pads I have run don't do very well unless hot.

speaking of which, now that I am driving the 911 some, need to put street pads back in.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

here is a pic on my way to MidOhio.

another great weekend at the track. car did great and the trailer worked great. put new street tires on the original wheels.

had intended to finish installing the AC but found one of the hoses had been hack sawed off. hope to get the AC finished next weekend.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

finally some updates.

Autometer replaced the shift light and now working as desired. don't even have to look down at the tach, just wait for the light to go from yellow to blinking yellow, and if aggressive shift when it goes red. usually I try to shift before it turns red at 6600 and my chip has rev limiter at 7k.

after Midohio, finished installing all the AC components. then noticed some noise and shifting feeling when in parking lot and doing hard right then left turns.

so get the lower A arm ball joint rebuild kit from Rennbay, and bushings. also a set of strut top mount monoballs. planning to do a full suspension upgrade at some point. but hoping this solves the noise/feel and I can finish the track season.

registered for MidOhio again in Oct, and hoping to make it to the new track at the Corvette museum in Sept .... hoping I can work that into my schedule.

just got the lower A arms installed and the strut momo balls. the plastic ball joint bushings were a little torn, but nothing looked really bad. so won't know about the noise/feeling until back on the street.

next up, retension TB. just got the little wrench and kricket tool.

and finally figured out my intermittent issue with cooling fans - it was the connectors on the fan. so got a set of replacement fans. reconnecting to the coolant thermostat for auto operation but also wired in the override switch so I can turn them on a soon as I head out onto the track.

last but not least. got all the AC stuff connected. so once I get everything back together, get it charged up.

and now for the obligatory pics.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Looking good, Bob.

Couple of points/comments if I may.

1) Some of the 944 Spec guys claim that running Delrin (nylon) bushings in the front can cause the bolt holes in the crossmember to oval out. The swing of the control arm is such that there needs to be some movement allowed. Polyurethane / Welts have been suggested to allow for that movement where Delrin doesn't.

2) Are you able to get enough negative camber without camber plates? I think that you can only get to around -2.5 at most -3 degrees without them. How are your tires wearing?
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 08-25-2015, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

had not hear your comment about the delrins. and hard to understand how they would cause the metal cross member holes to oval. I did not have any trouble moving the arm up and down during the work. firm but no problem

these monoball camberplates are a temp solution. planning for a full suspension upgrade, but today is not that day.

so far I was running just over 1 degree neg. but will have some more neg dialed in when I get it aligned again.

as usual, I found a lot of conflicting info on how much neg I should have.

still in the sorting out phase of this car.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on Bob. Do you find the shift light to be helpful and worth the investment. My brother is trying to convince me to get one. I keep telling him I don't need one but I'm contemplating on it. Cheers. Have you started anything on the 930.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Raymond,
I definitely like it. no need to look down at the tach.

just keep your foot in it until the light goes from yellow to blinking yellow. then depending on what is happening at that moment, decide if you keep in it util it goes red.

I have my redline (red) set at 6600. the chip has rev limiter set at 7,000.

just as I need to drive and tune more, I'll keep tweaking this over time. plan to tighten the deltas between yellow, blinking yellow, and red, but will probably keep the red at 6600.

I am almost ready to drop the engine/tranny in the 930. got everything disconnected and now need to remove the rear bumper/valance. and eventually I plan to install a similar shift light in the 930. came across a couple tachs for 930s that have a shift light built into it. but in both cases someone else got to them first.

but today, hope to finish the work on the 951. not long ago going off a steep curb, banged one of the brackets on the LR lower chassis brace. it bent the bracket and slightly bent the bolt.

as I was putting everything back together, one of the bolts on that side of the caster blocks would not torque correctly and stripped. need to drill / tap for the next size bolt.

ironically I have determined this is the cause of the noise / feel on hard cornering and not the ball joints or strut mounts. but having replaced them let's me know the status.

hoping next weekend attend an autocross to ensure the car will hold up for the DE at MidOhio in Oct.

so most of my time now will be focused on the 930.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

forgot the obligatory pics.

will eventually get a strut mount cross brace too, but will get that when I decide on the total suspension upgrade.

pic

here you can see how that chassis brace sits a little low.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Wow. I didn't realize those braces sit so low. You have to be very careful driving on the road.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Well.... after all the suspension work and the chassis brace work, still have the noise.

now suspecting the brake cooling ducting is binding. will remove the drivers side and test drive.

tried to have the AC charged, but there is some small leak. so filled with dye.

and finally put the carbon fiber wrap on the headlights and header panel. will replace as not totally satisfied with the result. still have about 6 ft to work with. and plan to warp the hood too. so far happy with the sunroof.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

well.... pulled the chassis brace and the left front brake cooling duct, and little noise still there.

had my mechanic friend look at it up on the lift with me. having to reach the conclusion it is some little shifting in the body panels.

finally finished applying a carbon fiber wrap to my sunroof, hood, headlights, and the LR header panel.

got the cheap stuff, $40 for a 5' X 10' roll.

good enough for this car for now. may get something better and redo, as the part I applied to the hood had what looked like some mfg flaws. and based on this learning effort, probably could do a better job next time.

and after driving over 2 hrs each way to a couple DEs without tunes, got this speaker to plug in my ipod. at the track, can just remove and save a couple pounds.

project car came without a radio. heading to MidOhio next weekend for last DE of the season.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to xsboost90 Send a message via Yahoo to xsboost90
hey bob- what you doing with the stock nose panel? i need one badly for a friends wrecked turbo...
xsboost90@yahoo.com

'64.5 mustang- protouring project
'08 Sierra 4x4 - daddy mobile
'13 Odyssey - mommy mobile
Old 10-16-2015, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

email sent
Old 10-19-2015, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on,great job Bob. Looks pretty cool
Old 11-09-2015, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

now that the 944S TB/WP, etc. etc project is done, doing a full suspension upgrade on the 951. by the last event of last year, was getting comfortable with the car and pushing it harder. that is when it became clear the stock suspension is just too soft.

INTRAX RSA from Lindsey Racing, along with lots of bushings, etc.

yesterday, got it up on jack stands, and to my surprise got both front struts on.

no doubt the rear will be harder, drop torsion tube to pull T bars as I am going coil over. and lots of bushing to replace...

before

after

Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

got the strut bar installed and started work on the rear....

Old 03-15-2016, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: