Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
If you are going torsion bar delete on the rear, you might consider some reinforcement plates on the body up in that region. Most of the guys who have done this delete do some reinforcement, sorry I can't give you any more details than that.

Yes the rear will be a LOT more work than the front.

Looking good so far!
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

got the torsion tube out yesterday. after an hour or so trying to figure out how to pry it past the flanges for the TT, finally got out the grinder and cut off about 1/2" of the tips, see last pic. dropped right out then.

taking it to a local shop Monday for sand blast and powder coating.

kdjones2000
I have been asking about that but no clear suggestions. I probably have a week or two in which I could still do that before it goes back together.. but I have heard the 951 platform can take the rear coil overs better than the 930.

I debated this as I know if going coil-over on the 930 would need a lot of reinforcement. so staying torsion bar on that project.

now for the fun job of cutting / burning off all the old rubber...

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

so I have heard you burn the rubber off the spring plates.

first I used a mallet and wood chisel to got most of the rubber off.

even with that, I think I spent over an hours with my little propane torch trying to burn off the last of it. and it seems like the less there was the less inclined is was to burn.

kept applying torch, wire brush, torch, wire brush, torch, blast cabinet, torch, repeat.

finally got them clean, take to powder coat tomorrow. also blasted the lower TT support.

now to clean up the torsion tube, and install the new support brackets today..

Old 03-20-2016, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

I have found the easiest way with minimal mess in removing the rubber from the spring plates is to use a 4-1/2 angle grinder with a stainless knotted wire brush, both available from Harbor Freight. I put the plate on a wood block and hold it down with my knee. You can direct the rubber bits coming off the wheel onto the ground. Really goes pretty quick and you're left with a perfectly clean surface that the new (I used Delrin) bushing slides right on.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

good progress yesterday.

so I get one arm off and on the bench. got the rubber bushing out and started beating on the inner sleeves. then I remember... I have an air hammer.

just a few min of that and the inner sleeves were out. used the air file to clean up the digs. and popped in the new bushing.

so did the other side on the car. a few min to get the rubber out and another few min of the air hammer and the sleeves were out. much easier than pulling that arm.

then got the new polybronze bushings in the torsion tube arms, and drilled/tapped the grease fitting.

and finally bonded one side of the bearing races to the spring plates.

so now contemplating what I'll get done this coming weekend.....

Old 03-22-2016, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
the new (I used Delrin) bushing slides right on
yep the polybronze steel races slide right on. interesting they make them a tiny bit large so you need to bond with JB weld. I forget where I read they do this so you do not force them on a irregular arm and distort them. they need to remain perfectly round to fit the bronze bushing.

forgot to say, I considered delrin, but put those on my front lower control arms and they squeak. so will replace with ER monoballs, sitting on the shelf for now. did not want to risk a squeaky rear end that would be much harder to replace.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

got the torsion tube back in. now down to bolting back on a few more parts, then go back over everything and torque to specs.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

work looks great. This can be removed though, right? and just beef up the springs/shocks?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

^^^^
not sure exactly what you are asking. but yes it would be reverseable.

in the process of getting the new coil overs installed, along with the sway bar and bolting the spring plates all back together. but now on hold until the weekend...

Old 03-29-2016, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

I think he asked about removing the torsion tube. I have ween threads where people tried to replace them with other constructions, but with mixed luck.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

hmmmm... now that is a project I don't even want to consider.

briefly toyed with the idea of rear coil-over on my 930 but after researching was way more work and bracing than I wanted to deal with.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

good progress, but required some fab'ing.

after hanging the shock on the passenger side, it would not fit between the swing arm and the tranny cooler lines.

exchange emails with manufacturer. they had never installed them on a 951 with trans cooler.

so piece of wood and small rubber mallet. got the cooling loop bent in about 1" and all good.

hoping I'll get her off the jack stands this weekend.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

got it off the jack stands and took for a short ride.

got my Longacre camber/caster gauge, now to sort out the alignment.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

WOW .... what a difference.

first DE last weekend with the new suspension. can only compare to the stock suspension, but I am impressed by this INTRAX kit from Lindsey Racing. will need to play a bit with the compression/rebound settings, now set about 3/4 firm. will try going softer and firmer at next event.

car handled fantastic. even after two days, I was still working at finding the limit. I KNOW there is more speed in this car, I just need to learn how to extract it.

now that I have a great suspension, can feel some little issues with the brakes, so will be checking that out before the next event. using hawk blues but may need to reconsider that.....

I did the alignment with my new tool. I set the rear camber when reassembling the suspension. maxed the eccentric and ended up with 3.5 degrees, set the fronts the same. A little toe out on front, a little toe in on rear.

part of my challenge is implied by the comment on the sign. back of one of the distance markers at the end of the front straight.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
less I know,more I learn

Garage
Right on. Sweet set of struts. Love the work you did on the suspension. With the torsion bar delete there was mention of reinforcent. Is it a must do for TB delete. Did you do any reinforcing braces Bob. Cheers
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Raymond,
I did not do any chassis bracing. I KNOW you have to do that going coil over on a 911. but per my discussion with another 944 racer and Lindsey Racing a 944 can handle it. hope they are correct.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

doing general maintenance before the next DE.

ordered a set of pads for the front, and then bleed 'em.

up on my new quickjack.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

needed an AC compressor for the 87 944S. realized I had a spare, but on the 951.

so now in the middle of AC delete using Lindsey Racing kit.

and met a Porsche master mechanic at Midohio recently. saw my tatto and turns out his daughter has one on her ankle. she works at his shop in the office.

anyone else?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

hmm just noted it had been over two years since I posted to this thread.

other than the increased boost level popped off the intake hoses ... twice .. different hose both times. car has been running great.

just registered for 944fest at Nelson Ledged in Aug.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Glad you revived this thread. It has been VERY helpful to me... Longtime 911 guy who found himself with a 951 in nearly identical condition to yours when you found it. I am about to embark on the same journey!

Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting so others can learn!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: