Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to black944 turbo
Can you here the fuel pump running when the ignition is turned to start? Is the tach bouncing as stated above? Speed and ref sensors are deffenately a week point on these cars.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
The DME computers are dying of old age as well.

Does it have a spark?
Old 02-15-2015, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I would like to see a lot of street performance as this may be a future project for me. I was just checking ebay motors for a 951 about an hour before I saw this.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
CMassler

Garage
Porsche Crest 944 Project Turbo Car

I have an '88 944 that I have had since new. 205,000+ miles. Original un-rebuilt engine with appropriate maintenance: timing belt; water pump; oil changes; etc. Runs well as my wife's daily driver, mostly around town. Once you get your car running, I will enjoy following your management of some of the interior issues, if you restore to stock: repair or replacement of cracks in the dash around the defroster vents; repair / replacement of dull instrument cluster light bulbs; repair / replacement of the digital clock light bulb, without clock replacement; working with the HVAC controller; recovering the leather steering wheel or replacing with a (for example) Momo; replacement of the interior door handle door openers; repairing inter-connected electronic window openers; sealing that huge rear window; plus the other niggling interior issues I may be forgetting. Thanks for taking on this 'classic' water cooled tourer as a project - a great road car project that will be interesting to many of us.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
In for updates!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I would check for spark next.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

These exact symptom happened to me 2 years ago..

It was the crank position sensors.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
First, do a compression check. If you have a problem, blown head gasket, holed piston, etc. You will have to redo everything you have done to present.
94 325ic, 73 3.0CS, 73 240Z, 74 260Z, 69 AMX, 97 SS Z-28,70 Bronco, 2000 ZR-2 Blazer, 2002 2500 Avalanche 8.1 ltr 4x4, 1984 928 S 5-sp, 94 K1100 LT Few more. Caution this person extremely addicted!!!!!
Old 02-18-2015, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Will be watching. Had fun with mine!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
The first thing should be to check the timing belts condition.
then diag no start condition
Old 02-18-2015, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Gunga Galunga

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hatch-cover end-cap repair
AC repair, seals in compressor
Heater-repair
Turbo-upgrade
No-lift camber-plates
Sunroof repair, microswitches and adjustment
Thanks for choosing these water-coolers Mark! Will your articles cover the other cars too (non-turbo 8V, 16V, etc)? There are a lot of 8V cars collecting rust or getting parted right now that would be great projects, if only there were interest...

I'm not a Turbo guy but I would definitely +1 the sunroof wizardry and maybe a DME logic diagram/flow chart. Also a detailed pictorial (like you do for the 911) of an engine drop would be really nice!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I want to see Super Pursuit mode, and a center console talking like William Daniels.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

My '86 951

Here is my project car.

I will post more picture and how-to later.

First, when I bought the car 3 years ago. Good looking but found some usual neglected maintenance...

Not bad at first:

Then, I started upgrades (I'm a big fan of Lindsey Racing stuff, very helpful people and prompt response to questions)

The MAF:

The A/C Delete:

Then, the fun begins; while changing the oil, this happened

What the heck is coolant doing there?!?!? Well, this means the oil cooler gasket is leaking and all the o-rings need to be changed. I'll explain later on this. I installed a Lindsey Racing oil cooler X3+ radiator.

Than, I found that the pre-owner did not tell me that he hit something on the right side... I found a bended tie rod and a damaged oil pan heat sink ( I had to change the oil pan gasket anyway...)

Used oil pan gasket, normal wear done by exhaust manifold:

Changing this must be the longest task to do... I'll explain later.

Before the BIG job:

After the BIG job with a new crossmember ( 3 pieces, easy to remove the oil pan with this)

Notice the new engine mounts available here

This is the limit of picture... (10 max) I'll upload more later..

Seeya!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

951 project

Thanks for doing a 951 project. I have a 1988 951 S model with about 98,000 miles but all original and running strong. I'd like to see a 951 done like Porsche would if they were building one today. All updated with modern updates like the Cayman S has. I think it would be the ultimate 951 and something we could all take ideas from. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Confirm spark before checking for fuel. "Way easier to confirm. Pull a spark plug and turn her over". I'm going to say this is going to be a bigger project then what you guys have estimated. I feel that a clutch and engine reseal with a water pump and timing belt are in order before you even considering mods. However for mods, I feel, rear coil overs would be an awesome first mod...
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

951 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
Confirm spark before checking for fuel. "Way easier to confirm. Pull a spark plug and turn her over". I'm going to say this is going to be a bigger project then what you guys have estimated. I feel that a clutch and engine reseal with a water pump and timing belt are in order before you even considering mods. However for mods, I feel, rear coil overs would be an awesome first mod...
Ha, Ha!

Coil over? Here they are(to be installed this spring, I'm in Canada... Winter means car in storage):

I will also reseal the engine, it leaks from everywhere...

Also bigger turbo, 4 " exhaust,lighter fly weel, new clutch, etc... Depends on my spring budget...
Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I agree with the sunroof adjustments, leaking/troubleshooting and repairs/maintenance
Old 02-18-2015, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Not complete without Seattle area folks on this thread

Mark,

I am thrilled you got this thread going and love the subject. Gotta say for the record that until the Seattle-area folks who have contributed jillions of posts on the P951 over the past decade plus weigh in, it just won't be right.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyy View Post
Are you guys wondering off the questions or what?

One step at a time..

start the car first then worry about the rest.
X2 on that ,a running engine will tell alot,my only caution would be the belts and associated parts,a good inspection there is important before starting.
I think Mark needs to give some history so some don't have him doing a nut and bolt stripdown of the engine
And Mark we need more updates,come on
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

951 resto

i am in - hopefully will get knowledge that will also apply to my 968 !
Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: