Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

subscribed

kewlhunter.com
Old 02-19-2015, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

You can make a small tester with 3 led and some resistor that goes across injectors, fuel pump,and coil power and crank the engine if the light turns on you have power, you can use this to find intermittent i have used this for days or weeks or more ( bring the led inside of course) good luck
Old 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

noobe - with dreams of a 944 project - will follow with great interest.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Subscribed
Old 02-19-2015, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Re no start. Also check to see if distributor rotor spins on its shaft. Pin in flywheel that triggers reference sensors has been known to fall out/break off.

Change rod and main bearings at least every 100k miles, more often if tracked. Repair shift linkage pivots. Check/repair clutch throwout arm and bleed system. Add additional oil cooler. It will run 250F + in summer traffic on the stock one. Check/replace vacuum hoses.

Ed B
86 944T
Old 02-19-2015, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to will944
3 pages in and only ONE person has mentioned the speed and reference sensors? Really???

Located behind the intake manifold next to the fire wall. Unplug them and plug them back together. I have to do this to my car every few months....it'll spin and spin but not fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black944 turbo View Post
Can you here the fuel pump running when the ignition is turned to start? Is the tach bouncing as stated above? Speed and ref sensors are deffenately a week point on these cars.
87 951
C3 Stingray
Old 02-19-2015, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Have to confirm spark/fuel before going on a wild goose chase! 😜 ^^

+1 to whoever said check belts before attempting to start. N.A. Guys have toasted a head on the "just had her running and broke the timing belt"..

But seriously though, less high jacking, and more tech!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Just mt 2 cents;

As with any 944 with unknown history, I would never run it without checking the belt and tensioners. (If the timing belt and water pump don't look brand new I would replace them and the oil collars once I knew the motor was good)

After these have been checked and found to be okay,

2) Check for spark.
3) Check for fuel pressure.
4) Check injectors are spraying fuel.
5) Check compression.

All simple tests and from there it should be easy to tell what is not correct and work out why it is not running.

This is my standard procedure for both the N/A and the Turbo as the turbo will run even with a blown turbo, wont run well but will normally fire up. Also usually a blown head gasket wont stop it running unless all four cylinders have no compression.

I would get it running and road test it to check for engine leaks, overheating, transmission, clutch, brakes, suspension and electrical components.

Once you know what works and does not then there is a place to start.

When it is up and running well I'd like to see it on a rollling road and then use it as a test bed for performace parts to see what improvements you can actually achieve per product. Also you could give reviews of these products based on the ease of installation and results.

This would be good info for people thinking about buying Pelican products to improve their car.

On a personal note I bet it would run better with nicer rims on it ;-)
Old 02-19-2015, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Steve Sims

Garage
Sub'ed
Old 02-19-2015, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

weight loss winner

...always like to see weight loss ideas..tks
Old 02-19-2015, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
The Feb Issue of 911 & Porsche World has some sort of 'ultimate' 951 build in it. Maybe there are some ideas in there of things to do. I am debating selling my 1986 951 so maybe this thread will motivate me to keep it. Surely the 944 turbo is the next big thing for collectors, right? Ha ha ha.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Sub'd
Old 02-20-2015, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Engineer of profanity

Garage
From easiest to hardest. DME relay is good but i would jump it anyway. That way there are no possible failing components compounding the no start issue. Also jump that stupid worn out factory alarm if the car has one. Check for spark. Check to make sure air flow sensor is plugged in. Check timing belt by loosening the top two cover bolts and pulling the cover back a little bit. Look for broken teeth, broken belts, belt tension good, etc. If it has one and it looks fairly new bump the starter over and check for teeth all the way around it. Test the coil, if you have power to the coil test for spark from your coil wire into a spark plug. Trying a different DME before the speed and reference sensors is easier if you have access to another DME unit. It's just under the passenger's footwell and is an easy unplug, plug in affair. If still no spark then the work begins. Remove spaghetti wiring, vacuum hoses, and heater valve from behind the oil filler tube at the back of the engine near the firewall. Stand on your head, no better yet, get hoisted to position yourself right over the rear of the engine. You will be there for a while. Inspect the speed sensor bracket for cracks (it happens) and speed sensor/ reference sensor for looseness. Trouble shoot them by just getting two new sensors. They are both the same sensor. Don't cross the connectors. New ones are longer. Pray that the sensor bracket is not broken because it is a real PITA to get out. The 9mm Allen bolts are usually tight, and easy to strip so lubricate them with PB blaster. This is where a shamu whale hoist is good to lift you over the engine so you can attempt to put a short socket wrench in there and actually have leverage. Lol This is how you adjust the sensors by loosening the bracket bolts, and moving the right side of the bracket up or down. It should be where the top of the bracket (just above the bolt) overlaps the right bolt washer by maybe 1mm. Or you can do the old glueing washer trick and risk losing a washer in your clutch. You can just move it down to where it hits the flywheel, and then do a small lift and tighten. If it's too close the car may fire twice though.
I have some suggestions. Build a 185mph 951 like Auto Haus did back in the 1980's. Put a big Turbo in it. Show us how to fix a delaminated rear glass. That's a problem in 80% of 944's.

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 02-20-2015 at 02:56 AM..
Old 02-20-2015, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Be nice to see a big turbo.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

If pelican cannot make this car running in a few days i will never buy parts from them again .
Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Triple_T said it ! Thanks for choosing a 944...every time I research a task, I'm lead down the 911 road. The poor man's Porsche needs more press!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

951 project

We're going to assume there is fuel in the tank!
First thing to try is replacing the DME relay (AKA fuel pump relay).
Second is to check the connections on the speed and reference sensors. If the tach doesn't jump at all when cranking, it may be a bad connection at one of the sensors.
At this point, see if you have spark and fuel.
After that look at the connections to the ECU and the KLR boxes. If connections are OK, then try swapping the boxes (one at a time) with known good ones. Be sure to mark each one so they don't get mixed up!
Good luck. I'll be interested to see what you find.
ybslo.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by will944 View Post
3 pages in and only ONE person has mentioned the speed and reference sensors? Really???

Located behind the intake manifold next to the fire wall. Unplug them and plug them back together. I have to do this to my car every few months....it'll spin and spin but not fire.
Yep and funny how there are so many repeats of previous info.....over and over,but this is the key point...now i will put out there ,like a Q&A ,which one causes no tach bounce out of the 2 sensors,see how we go on this one.
Have been to sensor hell myself.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
On Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetub View Post
Yep and funny how there are so many repeats of previous info.....over and over,but this is the key point...now i will put out there ,like a Q&A ,which one causes no tach bounce out of the 2 sensors,see how we go on this one.
Have been to sensor hell myself.
No idea why everyone is repeating what i've said. It's been said once. Just add to the list, no need to repeat. just makes a useless thread...
Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Perhaps the timing belt is broken. If it just slides and does not crank upon starting, then it's the timing belt. And the more you attempt to start the more likely to cause damage.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: