Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

First Porsche, 'New' 951... First off, belts!

Hello everybody, first time Pelican poster but long time lurker. I'm very excited to be picking up my first Porsche, an 87 Silver 944 Turbo with 133,000 miles this Saturday in San Antonio, and though I want to immediately drive the **** out of it, I feel like I have to do the belts first. They only have 3000 miles but are 4 ISH years old, and I don't know if the PO re tensioned at the proper 1500-2000. I have done belts before, and I have picked up the Arnnworks belt kit with 902X, and belts from our host. So first of many questions in this forum is this, can the belts be done from above only if I do it in the hotel parking lot (before driving back to California Sunday morning), knowing that I will not be locking the flywheel or pulling crank pulleys? I plan on removing the spring tensioner for the installation, and I think that should give me enough room to get the timing belt on without pulling pulleys. My worry is de tensioning alt/ps/AC belts from above, and lower balance shaft alignment. Has anyone pulled this off?

My other option is use a DIY garage with a lift the day I pick up the car, but I couldn't start until at least 2pm, and the garage closes at 9pm (it's closed on Sunday), so I'm worried the block will not be cool enough to tension properly by the 6 or 7pm 'time to put things back together' deadline. Anyone have experience with how long it takes for the 951 engine to completely cool?

Thanks for the time reading this and very excited to have a real reason to be on Pelican!!!
Old 09-22-2015, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's very difficult to get to the tensioning arms for the PS and the AC alternator belt from above. The airbox and coolant cross pipe are in the way. I would bring a small Jack and remove plastic tray to access from bottom. No problem without flywheel lock but you really need access to the bell housing inspection hole for flywheel TDC. Not worth extra effort and worry to not lift the car.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
3000 miles / 4 years isn't enough that I would worry unduly about your belts.

That is assuming that the car has been used over those 4 years and not just sitting.

If it were me, I would first check the tension on the belts, and if good just drive it back and change the belts afterwards.

YMMV
1987 924S 944 SPEC racecar - '88 pistons/DME, short 5th
Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
3000 miles / 4 years isn't enough that I would worry unduly about your belts.

That is assuming that the car has been used over those 4 years and not just sitting.

If it were me, I would first check the tension on the belts, and if good just drive it back and change the belts afterwards.

YMMV
I agree with you.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm on the fence, there's many horror stories.

The car has been used since the belts, not sitting so that's good.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi, what is the best way to check the tension, does the belt cover have to come off to do so?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Yes.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Drive it. It is fine. My belts are 3 years old and have 4 thousand miles on them. I make sure I hit the Rev. Limiter regularly.

Matter of fact I just got back from a spirited drive!

Good luck
Old 09-23-2015, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteThink View Post
Hi, what is the best way to check the tension, does the belt cover have to come off to do so?
Yes the belts cover has to come off. That's the only way to get access to the long runs of the belts and check/adjust the idler clearance. There's precious little that you can do on this car without dismantling 1/2 of it just for access

All this just for two $4 AOS seals.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
Yes the belts cover has to come off. That's the only way to get access to the long runs of the belts and check/adjust the idler clearance. There's precious little that you can do on this car without dismantling 1/2 of it just for access

All this just for two $4 AOS seals.

You have to go deeper than that to replace those AOS seals. The turbo/crossover pipe need to come out, which means all of that exhaust.

If it were only an NA...
Old 09-23-2015, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok, I'm going for it. I'll inspect car on DIY lift, check timing belt tension with arnnworks tool, adjust as needed, check all fluids, and hit the road for 1400 miles back to LA.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Kid's right. I decided that since I have to pull the turbo, which also requires pulling the power steering rack, I just kept changing things while I was in there. Looks like I'll be firing it up tomorrow (hopefully). While it was apart, I pulled the intake manifold and replaced all the sensors underneath, new plugs, intake gaskets, vacuum lines, idle stabilization valve rubber mounts, flushed the intercooler (oil inside from the AOS seals that were leaking), installed an air fuel ratio monitor system, had the turbo completely rebuilt and installed new power steering rack and tie rod ends.

Nothing's ever simple, is it?

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
951 , balance belt , timing belt