Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
Those Targa type stages are actually really dangerous. Trees right beside the track and then big drops should you run off. A split second from a nasty accident. Especially without much safety equipment from what I can see. No cage and uncovered skin. It's all fun until something bad happens. Be careful.

You also steer as if you're in a drift car. Is that for any particular reason? You shouldn't need to shuffle steer at all on that course. Having said that, you do quite well. It's just that in reality you shouldn't have to take your hands off the 10-2pm steering position at all on that course.
yes, hillclimbs are dangerous.
I have a cage, seats, hans going in this winter. ive seen plenty of accidents at them, ive been involved for the past 4 or so years and help run a few of them. this was the first year I got really serious about them and ran all the NHA ones, and I will continue to do so in the future. I used to only drive two of them.

I have always shuffle steered - its just the way I learned and have become comfortable with, and its worked well for me. youre not the first to comment on it - but the other train of thought is: if it works for you, do it. and it does and has.
I don't ALWAYS shuffle, but a majority of the time I do, and I don't even notice it until I watch videos, because it happens so naturally for me.

heres another one this year. it was my first time at this hill, and I finished in 5th out of 54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOoTlOvVL1k&t=3s

Last edited by PDX-944; 08-29-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah I get that. You will always be questioned on the shuffle. It's ok if it works but probably ultimately questionable against the 'correct' method. Having said that, as mentioned, this is how drifters tend to steer. But a different discipline for sure. Plus they have highly modified steering racks.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 08-30-2017, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I get that. You will always be questioned on the shuffle. It's ok if it works but probably ultimately questionable against the 'correct' method. Having said that, as mentioned, this is how drifters tend to steer. But a different discipline for sure. Plus they have highly modified steering racks.
if I had a quicker rack, Id be more comfortable not shuffling probably, but these racks are quite slow, and I find myself having to go more than a half to 2/3 rotation regularly. probably why I developed the habit.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
I used to think slightly along the same lines as I had struggled to keep the hands 'set' on one particular hairpin at our local track. However I found as I improved, I changed lines a little plus we improved the understeer, and then I am able to keep hands on the wheel in same position on all our tracks. Based on your video there is no reason for you to shuffle so much. You do it on really small turns too. In saying that, you've not crashed yet so who am I to say.

Youtube 333pg333

86 modified 951
Old 09-19-2017, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
I used to think slightly along the same lines as I had struggled to keep the hands 'set' on one particular hairpin at our local track. However I found as I improved, I changed lines a little plus we improved the understeer, and then I am able to keep hands on the wheel in same position on all our tracks. Based on your video there is no reason for you to shuffle so much. You do it on really small turns too. In saying that, you've not crashed yet so who am I to say.
im of the belief "do what works".
again, I didn't even realize I did it that much until videos like this - because its natural for me. and I place very well, only beat by a few v8s and an extremely built evo and sti usually... excited to see what the rebuilt motor holds for me next year!
I was in the top 8 again this last weekend and I didn't take all 8 of my runs. Between the motor cutting out and clutch slipping on hard throttle... I still am pretty happy with how I did. matched my previous best time on my second run. unfortunately I left my SD card at home and only brought the camera
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Apparently I cant edit the first post anymore..

NOTES:
I used Himni Racing GT to T Series Turbo Oil Return/Drain Adapter Flange Kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3A0JAU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This required making a sheet metal gasket between the factory mount with factory O ring, and the bottom of the above adapter plate which has an O ring also.

It also required longer bolts to mount the turbo. One of them I cut down and made, the other I ordered from Belmetric (website), and I ordered part number BSH8X140 - https://www.belmetric.com/8x125-coarse-c-6_339_62_956/bsh8x140-allen-socket-head-p-2137.html?zenid=2ho79057vpciej1m6t7oevr7b6
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: