Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Got a line on a limited slip transaxle but...

Hey all,

Like most of us here, well all want a limited slip differential. I have a line on one, but it's an 8Q transaxle out of an '84 n/a car.

I know that the differential stub axles have a different spline count from a 1985.5-1989 n/a vs. a turbo car, but what I don't know is if there is any difference on the early cars?? I should just be able to use the differential stub axles in the 8Q transaxle, they should bolt up to the drive axle C/V's no problem...right?

I know the actual drive axles are different length, but that should not come into play, as I would not be using the older cars drive axles.

So...what pit falls am I up against here?? I thought about just swapping out the limited slip diff unit into my trans, but that seems like a boat load of work with special tools needed to set the ring and pinion contacts.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mark
Old 11-07-2017, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
You don't want to be putting an N/A transaxle into a turbo car. The gearing is very different, plus the R&P in the N/A is significantly weaker than the one on the turbo.

I am pretty sure that the LSD unit is the same, so you can swap that out and put it into your turbo transaxle.

I wouldn't do anything else, however.
1987 924S 944 SPEC racecar - '88 pistons/DME, short 5th
Old 11-07-2017, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise, I figured it would be a bad idea to just swap complete transaxles.

I've done several rear end set-ups on '60's American car rear ends, and that's no big deal, but the 944 transaxle is a lot more entailed, and requires tools/setting gauges that I do not have access to.

Paying a shop to do the diff. carrier swap is more $ than I'm willing to shell out in order to get a factory limited slip unit.

Guess I'll just keep watching for the proper LSD turbo or S transaxle to come up for sale.

The real pisser is that there are several decent looking proper transaxles for sale on evilbay...but they only sell them with local pick-up. They are on the east coast, I'm on the west coast....not going to happen.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 11-07-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

There should be a fellow Pelican on the east coast that can help to ship this for you if the seller won't.

I would if this trans is close by. I am in Tax-a-chusetts, but not for long if I have my way.

I have used the Large Reinforced "Hefty" brand plastic tote bins to ship 911 thru G50 trans without issues. Just place wood blocks inside to keep from moving around.

Len

Old 11-12-2017, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm not willing to go that far and bug anybody else to deal with pick-up and shipping, for a unknown condition Evilbay auction purchase.

Plus the $150-$200 cost of shipping, puts the value of the project in jeopardy.

I can get the complete 8Q N/A transaxle with the limited slip diff that's right here in town, for a mere $250-$300 bucks.

Then of course, I have to tear it apart, rebuild the limited slip unit, pull my transaxle, swap the diff carrier into my transaxle and then set-up the bearing pre-load and backlash for the ring gear. I can borrow the needed tools for the job, but it's still tons of work, not hard, just lots of time.

Not sure what I'll be doing just yet...maybe just wait for a proper trans to come available in my neck of the woods.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 11-12-2017 at 05:07 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: