Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
'86 951 <Lower> Air Duct

Our car was involved in a dog strike by a previous owner: I am troubleshooting a ‘quick’ left turn signal (like when a bulb is burned out - suspect a wiring issue as bulb change had no effect; old bulb did work). Today I removed the front bumper cover and found the lower air duct (951.575.133.01) to be in 4 pieces with portions missing and the A/C condenser coil to be compromised (heavy sigh). Porsche wants $513.40 for the air duct; two internet sellers (Einmalig, DC Automotive) want $35-$40 for the part. What gives? I wouldn't think there would be that much difference in part cost...

TIA
Peter

Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

since you are in NC try contacting Pelican users:

gravesjeg (Maryland)
kens_74_911s (Maryland?)
JoshB (Georgia)
plyhammer (Ohio)

all these folks part-out 944s and might have a good condition used air duct for a good price.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I called our local Porsche dealership parts department: air duct, p/n 951.575.133.01, is $37.18; headlight washer check valve, p/n 281.955.187, is $24.77. I cannot explain where $513.40 quote came from (local, independent Porsche tech looking part).

Turn signal problem ended up being a broken-off ground lug within the left front turn signal housing bulb holder - repaired.

Peter
Old 02-13-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
More Boost!

Garage
Porsche tax! People think just because you own one your going or willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money for parts or to have someone fix the car for you.

When I first bought the 944 turbo, I brought it to an independent porsche/euro shop and they quoted me $2800 to replace the timing belt and water pump. Needless to say, I bought everything, along with new front engine seals/races then did it myself for under $450.

Never went back to that shop for anything ever again.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiily View Post
Porsche tax!
Could be but I don't think so in this case. Shop did PPI on 951 in October for free and seems to be very reasonable on other stuff. (I provided the shop with some very-hard-to-find pieces for a customer's 1968 911 that the paint shop had lost.)

I must admit I am a little 'gun shy' working on the car: I am an air-cooled guy (2 '68 912's a coupe and a SWT); and all the plastic bits on the 951 seem to be old and quite brittle (no surprise). That said, I have gone after and fixed numerous smaller issues including those requiring R&R of dash (fixing the light pipes for the instrument display, dash LED bulb install), door panel (broken lock actiating rod). I have recently finished front bumper cover R&R to include replacement of headlight washer check valve and supply tubing and repair of cracked grill supports (epoxy/fiberglass).

Question: do you have the timing belt tensioning tool(s), just wing it or is there some other 'cool' way to check belt tension?

Thanks!
Peter
Old 02-21-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: