Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
A "mature" version of a 951

I might get "flamed" for this post, but here goes!

I love my '72 911 and '86 951, but I decided I wanted to get something "fun", that was new, that I could drive everyday, and occasionally drive to the track. I just can't get my head around spending $60K for a base Cayman. The WRX is ugly, and the BRZ is anemic. This led me to do something I have never done before...I bought an American car (gasp!). I picked up a new 2018 Mustang Ecoboost w/ Performance Pack, 6spd. Not sure if you've read much about these cars, but the current generation is a thoroughly modern chassis, and with the turbo four, actually reminds me of a "mature" 951 (including the extra bulk that often comes with maturity). This car stickered for $29,890 and sold for $25,400. 310hp and 350lb/ft, large Brembo 4 piston calipers on 14" rotors, stiffer springs, sways, shocks, strut brace, etc. It's just crazy value at that price. Would I rather have a new Cayman? Sure, for maybe $40K. Hell, I'd rather have a BRZ...if it came with the WRX engine! But it's hard to find new "performance car" value that's better than this. (and with a little tweaking, these things are over 400 hp and 500 lb/ft!)

I put this post here because I honestly don't think I would have considered a Turbo Mustang had it not been for my experience owning the 951. The 951 really opened my eyes to the performance potential of a 4 cyl turbo in a front engine, rwd platform.

'12 VW CC VR6
'18 Mustang Eco PP
Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have wondered about the new turbo mustang, every thing you read is great, especially with that track pack. I Love the new(er) gen mustang and that Blue you picked.

did you consider a camaro? recent articles about the turbo 4 and the V6 with the LE1(I thiink) rave about performance/handling. but from one limited experience riding in one I do not like it. like being down in a tank peeking out gun slits. I like the styling and ergonomics of the mustang sooo much better than the camaro.

I am finding myself in a similar situation. now have 4 old Porsches, 3 in great running condition, plus the 944S I resurrected and sold to my brother who expects me to do all the maintenance.

they are all drivers and all get driven frequently. so there is always something one of them needs, if only normal maintenance. I do all of the wrenching on them. just getting too much to keep up with.

that is why I am on yr 3 or is it 4 on my 78 SC/930 conversion.

I LOVE all of my Porsches. and except for harsh winter weather drive one of them as frequently as possible. and do not expect to be without at least one.

but with the growing $$$ demand of the 930 project and not enough time to devote to it, suspect it is time to sell one or two of them and the motorcycle.

but a new car with comfort and performance at a reasonable price? that mustang does sound like a deal. for me maybe a convertible if I end up selling the 85 911 targa.

like you, would LOVE a new Porsche, of maybe a MB SL. but unless I win the lottery, those wont happen now that I retired.

will look forward to further posting on your experience. keep it coming.

congrats and enjoy.

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
"I Love the new(er) gen mustang and that Blue you picked."

Well, I didn't have a lot of choices. I wanted a base Ecoboost, 6spd, and Performance Pack. There was only two within 100 mile radius of Chicago equipped like this. The other one was black. Considering that EVERY other new car I have bought, from a Miata to a Q7, has been black, I went with the blue one. I actually bought it sight unseen, since the dealer had to trade for it. I do like it though. Very nice in the sun.

"did you consider a camaro?"

A little. I read a comparison in Motor Trend of a turbo Mustang vs a turbo Camaro. They liked the Mustang a little better, especially on track (Randy Pobst was driving). But what they really liked better was the brakes with the Perf Pack. Add to this the fact that a comparably equipped Camaro lists for over $3K more. A dealer inventory search showed 0 cars in Chicago equipped the way I wanted it, so I would've had to order it, which means minimal discount, and a potentially long wait. Hello Mustang!

I think another thing that has taken the luster off of new Porsches for me, is the experience a buddy had with his '06 Cayman. The IMS bearing failed last year at Road America and he had to junk the car. He hadn't done that many track days, with it. He always changed the oil, and really was not a hard charger on the track. It still irks me that an entire generation of Porsche engines was designed with this fatal flaw. I used my '72 911 with it's original 2.4L engine as a track car for a dozen years. Mileage was unknown, but it was well over 100K. Zero mechanical problems. I used to say that I was hoping the motor would give, so I could rebuild it to a higher spec. Never did. Finally got tired of waiting and I swapped it for a 3.2.

As I said, I still love my older Porsches, but I don't see a new one in my future anytime soon.
'12 VW CC VR6
'18 Mustang Eco PP
Old 03-07-2018, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: