Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
probably too late now for a crank scraper and oil pan trap door baffle.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
yeah it was considered, but not done =/ costs had to be cut somewhere. i guess we will see... ha
Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
took the day off work yesterday to take my car in to a friends shop to do some exhaust work and make a splitter. fumbled around all day and it went poorly.
need a flex joint for the up pipe, need a new BW v band flange for the downpipe, and decided to just redo the whole downpipe instead. didnt have any correct size piping for the f46 wg, so going to hack out the original setup and just run the f46 size to a new spot on the exhaust.
sigh. though now that im ordering stuff anyways, might as well get the size adapter to use the factory section... hmm

the splitter i started on, then got distracted. ill have to do some cleanup on it, then some finish work, and then make the mounts - going to drop down from the tow hooks in the rear, and prob 4 turnbuckles in the front, maybe 5.

class rules are up to 6 inches from the bodywork as viewed from above.

will make it removable so i have even a semblance of hope getting it on the trailer...

picture looks angled weird, the sides run parallel to the car

Last edited by PDX-944; 04-02-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
cage is in the process. a few struggles due to keeping the interior in tact - the main hoop was too tall which led to other things being off a bit after adjusting, but its getting there.
nascar bars make it impossible to keep the armrest and door pulls.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
well, the cage is 95% there - the guy putting it in had his baby early, so i had to go get the car. i have another friend that is going to finish the last welds - its all tacked in now, and some of it is fully welded.

the dash is all back together - took a little cutting and adjustment to fit but not too bad! the vents will still work too! though a little bit of air will leak, most should come through.

once the welding is done ill modify they pillars and stuff to go back in - i did one partially to see how it will fit. it wont be perfect, but racecar...
the cage is touching the A pillar for about 5 inches, so along the top i can leave the pillar trim normal, then about halfway down i have to skin it from the metal and foam so it can fit the small gap between the cage and the pillar, then further down i have to split the material to go on either side the bar where it touches.

the door panels are easier than i expected. i removed the speakers, arm rest, and pull, which leaves an unsightly area that has been covered for 30 years. i will cover that with a piece of abs plastic sheeting. then i ordered some rs style door pulls that will attach by bolt at the top of where the original handle was. class rules allow for modification of this stuff to facilitate fitment around the cage.

i repainted the flares and hood vents as they were pretty faded. as i typed this i realized i covered part of the cage with the dash, which was not painted, and apparently is not going to be painted because i sure as hell aint going back through that... LOL

ground controls first struts were too short, these second ones were too long (actually the sleeve just needs to be moved), but the remedy is simple - 6 inch springs instead of 8 inch. should be perfect.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
So, the shift rod is suddenly rubbing the top of the tunnel - more specifically, the brake line that crosses over it.
Im guessing between new semi solid motor mounts and solid trans mount, it all sits higher.
Problem is, it cant come out to be bent downward a bit without dropping the trans, MAYBE just dropping it a little down and i can slide it out... not sure what ill do yet.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Garage
i ran into a similar problem with the shift rod rubbing the top of the tunnel after i had my tranny rebuilt (new limited slip clutches). i thought the same thing until i re-examined the shift linkage at the transmission and realized i had re-assembled it incorrectly because it can be assembled two different ways (high and low) and the logical position isn't the correct position. re-check yours and it should re-alight the shift rod to the correct height.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
i ran into a similar problem with the shift rod rubbing the top of the tunnel after i had my tranny rebuilt (new limited slip clutches). i thought the same thing until i re-examined the shift linkage at the transmission and realized i had re-assembled it incorrectly because it can be assembled two different ways (high and low) and the logical position isn't the correct position. re-check yours and it should re-alight the shift rod to the correct height.
interesting. I did not remove or adjust the shift linkage at all On the trans and it was okay before. But I will check and see if there's any other adjustment that can help in this situation.
Otherwise I think I can probably pull the rod back through the trans to stick out just enough to get a tiny bit of Bend in it to lower the center of the rod and not have any negative effects
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
check this image for the correct shift linkage position:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-944 View Post
interesting. I did not remove or adjust the shift linkage at all On the trans and it was okay before.
did you disconnect the shift rod from the transmission? when you do, the linkage assembly 'drops down' because of gravity. you have to manually hold it back up when re-connecting the rod to the tranny to get it in the proper alignment.

do not bend the shift rod, there's plenty of clearance when it's aligned correctly.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
I will verify. My only thought is that the new super mounts in front and rear solid kokeln mount have Lifted the whole thing up some. But I will check it out tomorrow hopefully and confirm before anything else
Old 06-06-2019, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
hmm, it could be the mounts also. maybe time to get an adjustable short shift kit?
https://www.only944.com/partscatalog/only/shortshifter/
Old 06-07-2019, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nize View Post
hmm, it could be the mounts also. maybe time to get an adjustable short shift kit?
https://www.only944.com/partscatalog/only/shortshifter/
I mean, why do I need another?
I don't think it will adjust that height though.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
I have oil pressure!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
So I had a welding teacher friend of mine do 90% of my cage, but then he had his baby, so i had to take it elsewhere to wrap up the last of the welds. I was stupid, and trusted a fellow racer that is well known in the community here, who said he was capable of completing the last welds.

Long story short, I cut my brand new cage out of the car yesterday, and ordered a new one. probably a $3000 mistake trusting that friend. new cage is about a month out. cancelled pretty much the rest of my hillclimb season because of it. cant put a windshield in until the cage is done.
in the meantime, ive dropped it off at the tuner for a tune, align, mount the wing, etc. I love working on cars, but i love racing more. im tired of working on it, and im to the point that i just want to pay and be done with it.
i MIGHT risk putting the windshield in with just the corners glued, so that i can autocross it, but its unlikely, as the cage will only be a week or two out by the time i get the car back.
sigh.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
So I had a welding teacher friend of mine do 90% of my cage, but then he had his baby, so i had to take it elsewhere to wrap up the last of the welds. I was stupid, and trusted a fellow racer that is well known in the community here, who said he was capable of completing the last welds.

Long story short, I cut my brand new cage out on tuesday, and ordered a new one. probably a $3000 mistake trusting him. new cage is about a month out. cancelled pretty much the rest of my hillclimb season because of it. cant really put a windshield back in until the cage is done.
in the meantime, ive dropped it off at the tuner for a tune, align, mount the wing, etc. I love working on cars, but i love racing more. im tired of working on it, and im to the point that i just want to pay and be done with it.
i might autocross it without a windshield, just because i can and want to shake it down. but we shall see... i considered just gluing the corners of the windshield to get me through an autocross or two as well.
sigh!

Last edited by PDX-944; 06-21-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
ouch! how frustrating. i hope your friend is at least covering the cost of the replacement cage.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
noooooope.
a huge expensive bummer.
after i confronted him about the job and the lack of response/apology, he said he would cover what he could, but i dont think its much, and at this point, why put more issues between us. we arent close friends, but we get along, and i run the club, so i WILL be seeing him around. id rather just let it lie and move on.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Fired up and ran briefly yesterday! Dyno next week
Old 07-09-2019, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
a few things happening right now...

Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: