Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Stroker/Dry Sleeved 3.25T - Borg Warner EFR-7163

I had started another thread a while back about this build, but it was more related to planning, and went through a lot of different ideas and stages.
Things are finally coming together in one state (literally, things are getting here to Oregon now... ha)

The car is an 88 Turbo S Silver Rose (or was). Now has Broadfoot flares, runs 295 Hoosier A7 in front on 18x10 MY02 wheels and 315 in the rear on 18x12 MY02 wheels (widened from 8").
The ECU I run with is what I bought the car with - Wolf3d V400, which is versatile, but old. Hard to find a tuner excited to work with it, but PRE Racing here in Portland will work on it for me.
I run the car at hillclimbs and autocross, and building primarily for corner exit up hills.

Where I am at:
- 94mm offset grind crank
- Dry sleeved 105mm bored S2 block, balance shafts deleted
- A/C deleted
- Borg Warner EFR-7163, V-band in and out, internally recirculated, not internally wastegated
- Custom JE Pistons
- Mitsu 4g63 bearings
- Eagle 4g63 rods
- Head work done by Michael Mount:
-- Int Valve: 48mm
-- Exh Valve: 40mm
-- Springs: 130# on seat (Porsche outer, MM inner)
-- OK for cam up to .515 lift
-- Combustion chamber: 62.7cc
-- Surface cut .004
-- Competition valve job
-- Intake and exhaust ports shaped and optimized.

I have all the main parts now, I just have to get them to the machine shop for boring and short block assembly now.

Good times ahead!

Last edited by PDX-944; 03-15-2018 at 09:34 AM..
Old 03-15-2018, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Dropped off the block, crank, pistons, rods, bearings, and head at M and B Cylinder Heads this morning. Found I don't have the 6 and 8mm hardware for the crank girdle, which is pretty essential to make sure things line up and clearances are good... I haven't gotten my old motor all the way out yet so im going to have to source some hardware to get to him asap.
Should be a few weeks until hes done with the boring, decking, gapping, clearancing, and shortblock setup. gonna order the turbo later this week, then continue disassembling the old motor to get ready
Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
This build is going a bit slow -
I have the short block assembled now.
I have a modified oil pickup tube.
Converted to manual flip up headlights.
Ordered a catch-can setup.
Have my new power steering lines.
Got my quick release and Momo wheel installed.
Havent put the new seats in 100% yet, nor harnesses.
Weld in cage from 944cage.com is on its way - they made adjustments because my classing requires me to keep basically full interior. I've taken out most of what I can take out - rear seats, stereo, spare, headlight mechanisms, replaced front seats, AC delete, washer reservoir deleted... Not a lot I can do. Then I put in the cage and it will be back right where I started!
Ill also be using an 044 Bosch pump, and upping my injectors in size again.

I'm also in the middle of building a garage next to my tiny attached garage - not to mention every weekend im out of town at events. Hoping that if I get this motor mostly assembled that will get my butt in gear to get the rest done. Ive pretty much come to grips with the fact that I wont likely be driving it this year at any events...

Im looking into aero as well - Nine Lives Racing has a proven wing - and I have a local shop that will help me fab up some mounts for it that meet class requirements.
I'll likely go with the wood splitter in the front, as I'm guessing I will go through them more often than preferred... The hills occasionally have bumps and things - as well as some of our AX sites. And getting it on the trailer will be fun... Have to rig up some serious ramp extensions.

But, its coming along bit by bit!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Looking good (and expensive!)
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 07-19-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
Looking good (and expensive!)
this has been insane for what I normally do.
But once the car is down and apart, it becomes just another few hundred... and another few hundred... might as well do this while im apart....
Old 07-19-2018, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
started assembly. realized I had the wrong head studs, ordered up some from ARP, and now I think I have everything except time!
if I can take a day, I can probably get the motor mostly together
Old 08-16-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
Got my ARP studs that are the correct length for a 3L with 8v head (not marketed for the 944).

Welded up the balance shaft drains, had to cut the lower cover to keep the ability to mount the PS pump.

I've gotten the front of the motor together, timing belt in place, but I forgot to order an idler roller and pulley for the tensioner, so waiting on those.

Ordered a new 4an line for the oil feed which is tapped directly to the block where the feed would have been for the balance shaft bearing.

Got the turbo on for mockup, all looks good.

Also got my new semi solid mounts in the mail and picked up my parts dash to fill the cracks and flock with burgundy flocking.

Not sure if I mentioned I ordered a wizard radiator.

I DESPERATELY need to remember to tap for the "steam vent", which I keep forgetting to do.

Here's a pic before I got it all together:

Old 09-05-2018, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: