Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Waking up MadDog

Well guys its been two whole years....Finally I am done with all other stuff that kept getting in the way of what I really like doing, working on Maddog. ( For those that were not here 10 years ago, he is a 1986 951. Also more than likely one of the oldest single owner cars in this group. I have had him since he was less than a year old.)
I am looking forward to becoming a part of the pelican community again. I did make an abortive attempt about 3 years ago.... but life got in the way.
Any hoo Maddog has been sitting in my garage for the last 3 years with an occasional drive of a few miles.
So today I decided to see what shape he is in.
He drives fine and gets about 11 psi of boost, so far so good. So I figured I would do the timing belt, balance belt, rollers and the water pump. They were done in 2006, but only about 30k miles ago.
I took the usual bits and pieces off. When I took the bolts out of the manifold 2 of the holes had coolant come out of them.
So a leak somewhere in the water jacket (its been a while and I am rusty on the terminology ).
See pic below.

So question :
take the valve cover off and look or ??
Second question :
While doing the timing belt etc I need to fix a big oil leak he seems to have developed so seals and gaskets on the front tower?
Ps. As usual when I tried to drain the coolant to start this job Maddog rewarded me with a 'golden shower' luckily it's phosphate free
Thanks in advance as usual and I am now available to answer electronic questions etc.
Sox
Old 04-02-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello Sox,

There is NO valve cover, what you have is a cam tower. This contains the cam and lifter buckets.
Removing that requires removal of the timing belt, dizzy, front covers, etc., etc.
No need to go down that path...although the coolant from the intake bolt holes is disconcerting. Maybe that is normal and the bolts simply need to be sealed with silicon upon re-assembly???
I was about to pull my intake to address a oil weep in the turbo area....now maybe not!
Mark
Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello Sox,

I'm thinking that at sometime in the past, somebody installed intake bolts that were too long and they simply bottomed out in the threaded holes, and then popped thru into the water jacket when torqued down.
Hopefully others will chime in and clarify this for you.

Mark
Old 04-03-2018, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Mark
Thanks, but as stated above I have owned the car since it was less than a year old...so I doubt a long bolt was used. The bolts I took out are all the same 45 mm long. I have also had the manifold on and off a lot of times (not recently though).
I have to change the timing belt and water pump so I will have to " go down that path"
Hopefully in this brain trust some one will know.
Sox
Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Further...
Took a bunch of stuff off and took a look at the timing belt, it looks like there is paint on the pulley !!
I thought it was rust but it is more yellow and soft. It comes off easy and feels like putty ?
I have never done the belt on my car (went to the dealer or an indy ) so first time looking in there.
any clues anyone ?
Thanks Sox

Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
I have seen rebuilt WP's that have their hub painted, which I think you are referring to here.

Did it leak? If not, then it worked as intended...
1987 924S 944 SPEC racecar - '88 pistons/DME, short 5th
Old 04-06-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

kdjones2000,
Thanks,
maybe....You are correct it is paint but it is on the pulley and some on a roller. how would it get there?
BTW yes that is a reman water pump in there from Zimm's in Dallas, last place it was done.
Another subject for history fans:
Back in 2005 when I had more time than money I fixed my cycling valve (still works). just took it off and took some pics. Note the brass replacement for the broken plastic nipples and the JB weld holding them in there. Also the whole thing is sealed with JB weld and the terminals soldered rather then slip on connectors.
Ah the things one did
Sox

Old 04-06-2018, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

First leaking spot appears to be the gasket in the valve cover. There is oil on the top side of the exhaust manifolds, right under the gasket line.
So will replace the gasket, any thing else to look at while have the valve cover off ?
Thanks Sox
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
That's a pretty basic fix; just put it on dry after cleaning the surfaces up.

One thing I would recommend is to have the injectors cleaned and flowed. Put the highest flowing injector in #4.

If you really want to go OCD, get the '88 oil restrictor for the head, and replace yours with that one. One of the oiling fixes Por$che put in later was to reduce the flow into the followers to try to keep #2 from spinning.

You would have to drill yours out (I think), and you need to be careful of the metal bits.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but you asked...

Last edited by kdjones2000; 04-08-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

kdjones2000
Thanks, will do and no won't do the '88 fix.
I am trying to come up with a list of parts I need to order from our hosts here so may post the list to see if some one spots the one part I need that I have missed. Always happens....
Sox
Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

To replace the gasket in the cam shaft cover and the front/rear oil seals in it, plus the accessory belts I have this stuff ready to be ordered.
The timing belt/water pump is a separate issue to be done.
If I need something else to be added could y'all clue me in ?
Thanks as always Sox.
Ps. I did not find the "crush ring washers " for the cap bolts in the cam shaft cover, should I reuse the old ones?

Part Number Description Qty

944-105-199-03-M17 Gasket - Camshaft Housing to Cylinder Head Brand: Victor Reinz , 1986 Porsche 944 Coupe 1
999-701-602-40-M17 Camshaft O-Ring (5 X 50 mm) Brand: Victor Reinz , 1986 Porsche 944 Coupe 1
900-117-073-00-OEM Camshaft Woodruff Key, Brand: Genuine PorscheBrand: Genuine Porsche 1
999-113-349-40-M17 Camshaft Seal (32 X 47) Brand: Victor Reinz , 1986 Porsche 944 Coupe 1
928-105-184-00-M260 Camshaft Housing Seal (Front) Brand: O.E.M. , 1986 Porsche 944 Coupe 1
928-105-189-02-M17 Gasket for Cover Plate on Camshaft Housing (Rear) Brand: Victor Reinz , 1986 Porsche 944 Coupe 1
999-192-299-50-M21 Belt - Alternator & A/C - 6K X 1000 Contitech, 6K X 990 Dayco Brand: Contitech , 1986 Porsche 944 Coupe 1
999-192-236-50-M21 Belt - Power Steering - 10 X 950 Contitech Brand: Contitech , 1986 Porsche 944 Coupe 1

Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
You might want to buy a spare camshaft bolt, unless you are confident that you can remove / install it without stripping the 12 point internal head. Not sure how much they are...

What about intake manifold gaskets, injector seal kits, etc.? Also any of those vacuum hoses under the intake manifold, plus the ICV rubber mounts.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

you are correct I should try to get one of those bolts and the "thin clear O ring/washer" too.
I already have the gaskets for the intake manifold, and will be ordering the stuff to do the items you mentioned. I was just taking it one at a time and the last post was to just do the cam shaft leaks.
I appreciate you talking the time to sanitize my list and keep remind me to not forget the other parts of the car that need fixing
Sox
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

1 Pan head screw M10 X 65 Part # 999-510-022-08
6 Sealing rings Part # 900-123-140-30
1 Gasket Part #944-105-321-00
On the list.
Sox

Last edited by soxnail; 04-09-2018 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: wrong part number
Old 04-09-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Finally the fly wheel lock....now to get to work.
Sox
Old 04-25-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Taking off the starter to install fly wheel lock....
This was relatively easy, but there are a couple of things that I had to figure out as I had never taken it (starter) off before.
To remove the heat shield the 2 bolts that attach it to the housing have to be loosened. You can't take them off as the cross pipe is in the way but loosening them is enough as the heat shield has 'U' cuts in it to slide it out from under the bolts. See next two pics.

Next remove one nut as shown in the next pic and loosen the one next to it. When you loosen the second nut the arm holding the heat shield can be rotated counter clock wise to release the shield which can now be taken off.
See pics

Now the process as explained in the tech notes at Pelican can be used to remove the starter.
Sox
Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
LOL, looks like your heat shield is broken, or "modified".

That piece you are rotating is part of the heat shield, plus there is ANOTHER mount up to the *&@))$ bolt on the torque tube that you need to use Houdini Magic to get to normally.

Ah, the joys of Turbo ownership....
Old 04-27-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Yah I was being facetious ....it was broken
Sox

Old 04-27-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

so got the car to TDC (PIA to do alone)...
Checked 3 ways
1)Notch on flywheel to the tab on the side of it.
2) Notch on the distributor sprocket to cut in the side of it.
3) Cylinder # 1 ( closest to the front of car) at it's top. Used a plastic knitting needle (note to self replace before wife finds out).
Question:
Before I remove belts. The notch on the flywheel moves a bit when I put in the lock. It is at the leading edge of the tab when I start position 1 in pic, but it moves to the middle of the tab when I install and tighten the flywheel lock position 2.
Is this acceptable? or am I doing some thing wrong.
See pic.

Second question:
The flywheel lock came with no hardware, I believe I should use the 2 bolts that hold the starter to the body, but only 1 hole is threaded and I do not have the right sized nut to go on the other one, is this OK or should I go out and buy the right sized nut and put it on?
See pic.

Finally I welded the broken heat shield. Won't break there again

As always Thanks for y'all help.
Sox
Old 04-28-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Just how much torque does it take to loosen the crank shaft pulley bolt (24mm socket) ?
Don't want to bend or brake anything.
Sox
Old 05-02-2018, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: