Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Cam tower , noise

After replacing all belts, seals, rollers, etc., there's a rattling noise around the front of the cam tower. I've been running engine at idle following reassembly to pump up the lifters and I'm puzzled about the noise over cylinder number one in the cam tower area. I'm running 20W50 engine oil with new filter. I'm considering adding some ATF to the oil to thin it some and release the lifters. Any comments?

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check clearance of distributor rotor to cap. I had one of attachment screws loose and it rotor wobbled enough to bang on posts inside cap.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I pulled the cam tower and did a check of the lifters and found a couple of suspects. After bleeding two of them in hot oil to get the bubbles out and re-pumping them while in oil, they are simply shot. The buttons go easily to the bottom with no resistance. So now I'm looking for used, good condition replacements from an 86 944 turbo. There appears to be some incompatibility issues using other years and basic models. If you know of anyone as a resource, I'd be happy to hear.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: