Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Problem with Zimmerman rotors

I'm just wondering if others have ever had problems with Zimmerman rotors. I've been through a few sets over the years and have always found them to be a quality product.

I purchased a set of rears for my 91 964 and when I went install one of them it would not fit over the flange. It sort of seems the inner diameter had not been machined to the correct dimension. I pulled the other one off the car and it fits fine on either side of the car. Unfortunately I don't have a set of bore gauges for that large of a diameter.

Unfortunately, I painted the hats prior to install so Pelican won't take it back. Seems lame to me but according to them they would be out of business if they did stuff like this.

Figuring I have nothing to loose at this point I went at them with a Dremmel tool to see if I could get them to sit flush against the flange and still be concentric. I felt like I was successful in that I can't fit even my thinnest feeler gauge between the rotor and flange and the rotor is concentric as measure by a dial indicator.

I took the car out for a drive and all seems well. Unfortunately, at slow speeds with the window down you can here the periodic scraping of the rotor on the pad. I checked the axial run-out and it is about 0.012 in so that is a problem.

Obviously my solution is a new rotor but I just wanted to get this out there to 1) see if anyone has ever had quality problems with Zimmerman rotors and 2) let everyone know to test fit parts prior to painting them!

Ken
Old 06-22-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Maybe like every thing else... Zimmerman has out sourced their rotors to Mexico or China?
It wouldn't surprise me! Or maybe the Japan Go-no Go Gauge is out of speck from never being checked or Porsche is trying to save $ and just threw away the go-no go gauge!
Ron...
Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: