Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trouble with 964/993 gauges...any VDO wiring diagrams?

Hi all,

I have a 1988 911 that was updated to 964/993 gauges by a previous owner. They didn't have the OE 964/993 pigtails that snap on the back of the gauges, so they soldered small female bullet connectors on the 1988 harness to connect into the back of the 964/993 gauges. It sounds sketchy but they did a nice clean job with shrink tubing and it doesn't look about to burst into flames. I did add the fuse for the unfused gauge lighting just in case.

Im having trouble getting the oil pressure gauge to read properly...just pegs to the high side when the ignition is switched on. Does anyone have a diagram from VDO of the oil pressure gauge that identifies the pins on the back? Or know which pin gets the signal wire from the oil pressure sending unit?

I have factory workshop manuals for 964/993 but they don't detail the gauge pins. Here is a photo of what I need.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Jay,
I have a 97 993, and would be happy to try and get you what you need. I was curious if the problem you have is recent, or something that was a problem when you bought the car. I unsure if you have the dual sensor that is for the oil gauge, and the idiot light, but they could be reversed causing the problem you have as well. I have the Bentley manual for the 993, and would be happy to send you pictures of the electrical diagram, with the pin numbers of the gauge. The plug you do not have has those numbers on them, and I could pull mine out and take pictures of that for you so you have a reference as well. I hope my earlier thought takes care of things for you, and if not, let me know what I can send to you that will help. Steve
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your offer steve! Someone just came forward with the pigtails for a reasonable price so hopefully I will have my hands on them soon. I’ll keep you posted.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Did the gauge work when you bought the car and this happened since? Could be poor connectors at the sender on the engine or a failing/failing sensor that is the problem. If you are happy with the gauge wiring and the problem persists, one simple sender test, it should meassure 9,5 ohm att zero bar.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: