Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I also got a mail from the dealers today saying my abs bracket arrived from Germany

Does anybody have their front sctripped out ?
I need some info on what is under the battery cable cover .

Thanks
Ian
Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Itís a little bit cleaner under there now .
Should be a nicer place to work when I modify the suspension and brakes .
I will give it a more thorough cleaning when I do this .

Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I have been busy picking away at the front hood seal , an even though I was using plastic scraper there was still a couple of small scratches in the paint I wanted to touch-up .
The question was asked “why ? You’ll not see it when the seal is glued over it “
But If I didn’t do it , I’d “see” it evertime I opened the trunk !!!

then whilst giving the wheel-well another clean I noticed something on the grey sealer below the area I was working on ....

You can see in the last pics I posted , little brown circles where I scraped the brush-sealer off .
The camera amplified them so I scraped some more .
there was definately the beginnings of surface rust appearing at more or less every spotweld .
Only on the outside though , inside the trunk they had built the car properly .

Spent the most of last week preparing and acid treating , then today etch primer and paint .
I also did the same to the 2 horn-brackets whose surface rust I noticed straight away .
You can also see where the fender fixes on to the out-rigger poking out through the masking , work in progress that I’ll finish with an artists brush tomm0row as it’s such a small area and basically a bolt-on part that’s known to go bad .

I’m glad I spotted this now as it’s easily treated at this stage , but can’t wait to get this fender back on and move on with the project !!

I’m now hoping passenger side and front trunk will be complete and car moved to do same on drivers side by the time I go back to work on Tuesday ....

The battery cable cover and abs bracket arrived , so if anybody can use the old ones let me know .
I AM NEVER FITTING A GENUINE PORSCHE BATTERY AGAIN !!!
I’m honestly not sure it was the battery that sacrificed the bolt-on parts in the trunk , but it’s Sealed agm from now on for me .
Twice as expensive and not genuine , but the parts I just replaced would have made it worthwhile ...

Last edited by ian c2; 02-16-2019 at 07:09 PM..
Old 02-16-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Like the abs bracket , easily repairable ...

Clean .
Tig .
Grind .
File .
Tig .
File .
Tig .
File .
Sand .
Etch .
Paint .
Paint .
Sand .
Paint .

No thanks .
If these parts are still available from porsche , Iíll put a higher value on my time .
If they where nla anywhere , or nla at porsche but bad spurious copies available I would repair .
Luckily the 964 is still new enough that parts are available , even if theyíre a little tricky to obtain .
(Abs bracket fits all models but only listed for a c4 , is a good example I came across just hunting for parts to finish the truck )
Iím still searching for what plugs the hole under battery cable cover if anybody can help with that ?
Itís not the ďheadlamp drain tubeĒ that the rest of the holes have

Last edited by ian c2; 02-16-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Old 02-16-2019, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

After today’s garage time , I Just need to bolt the horns back on their newly painted brackets and the car is ready to receive its fender .
From what I can work out , fender was bolted on using Sealing tape , then wurth brush sealer applied to the joint from inside the wheel well .
I’ve got a head start on it , as I don’t plant to remove everything to get the big brush in later .
It will be a squeeze , but I practiced with an 1/4’ Acid brush and I think it’s doable....

Last edited by ian c2; 02-17-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Now I’m just having a quick beer watching the rain ruin my pool while the acid does it’s thing on the fender .
This is a bummer as I’m short of room and had planned on etching and painting the flange outside once the acid takes the rust off (2hours or so)

This body joint Is holding up well considering it’s a water-trap .
More rust than you might expect in California but it came via Texas , and it’s nowhere near what you might find on a uk car (the red photo) ..

Last edited by ian c2; 02-17-2019 at 02:30 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work,

The drivers side is a little harder to get off because of the fuel cover cable, looking good
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Thank you .
I manage to get the passenger fender flange cleaned , Etched , and painted yesterday before I rained again .
The plan was to put it on yesterday but my rubber buffer between fender and oiI-cooler didn’t come to dealers in time , and today I came home from work with a headache.
Maybe tomorrow...

But I have a shiney new factory oil-cooler sitting here doing nothing , so might hotbolt the fenders on dry with a view to installing completely and sealing when I have decided what to do with it .

It was bought years ago to install as a secondary cooler on a car in uk with no ac , this car has ac and I want it to keep it working without impeding it’s performance .

Last edited by ian c2; 02-19-2019 at 07:52 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Today was a working day , but relaxed and easy .
Ramping up slightly for the modifications stage , as when that happens it will be a little less relaxed and easy ....

Remember I busted off the pressed-in captive nut for the battery clamp due to a rusted thread ?

I had a plan , and we get this weekend off so I borrowed a tiny tig set from work (has to fit in the passenger seat of my daily boxster) and I also borrowed one of our appprentices Tyler as he has a gas bottle and truck and happens to love working on cars in his spare time ..

I have him a couple of m8 nuts and he took the zinc plating off while I went to Home Depot looking for the longest 8mm bolt I could find .

The nut was put on the end of the bolt and coerced through the hole before I flattened the metal that had “exploded” outwards as I fought to get the spinning captive nut out then started to tightening down the bolt so it hit the trunk floor so the nut raised to the metal before finishing the are to a standard Tyler was happy to weld .

The welding was done , weld flattened slightly with a flapper-disc, then the area was masked ready for primer .

I was wary of whatever caused the rust on the nut/bolt causing unseen damage within the cavity between the battery-tray and trunk floor so had previously masked and poured in rust remover .
Now it was time to do the same again with bare-metal primer , but instead of making a “bath-tub” of the area and pouring it in like I had done with rust remover and flush , I was going to use a cavity wand .

Once it was masked I simply inserted the wand wherever it would fit and hoped for capillary action.
If I didn’t see black primer coming from the seams between the spotwelds everywhere , I simply added more .
Then masked/stuffed with rags the obvious leaking areas , and added more .
Then added more .
Then ran the can dry and brushed around the seams with a 1/4” brush .
Then used rags to mop up the mess .
Needless to say , I’m confident there is no more rust and no bare metal anywhere in that area !!!

In the next few days I’ll be applying Shultz and finishing off the trunk .

Last edited by ian c2; 02-23-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Old 02-23-2019, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Old 02-23-2019, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Just been Out and removed the masking and wiped off any seepage still coming from the seams.

I think I am happy with this repair . ( And it is a repair not a restoration.. )
Things like this play on my mind and I normally end up taking it all apart a few weeks , if not days, down the line to replace the repair with factory parts.
But that would mean completely stripping the trunk and underside to spot weld in a new battery tray and then even then I would have to reinforce the nut with weld in case it seized again in the future ....

It’s a good sign , that looking at the pictures my eyes are drawn to the yellowing plastic on the fluid reservoir , the wrinkles in the tank hold-down strap , and the oxidized copper on the batter/chassis ground instead of the repair

Last edited by ian c2; 02-23-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Old 02-23-2019, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

FYI for anyone using a cavity wand , get a dust-buster can from staples etc. and attach the straw .
I acetone soaked my wand in an empty cat-treat tub (been saving them hoping for a use) , then inserted the straw that perfectly filled the wand , and blew it out with canned-air .
Allthough I was thinking the wand is an expensive consumable ($17) , I can now get at least a coat of paint on using it , and hopefully cavity wax too ...
Old 02-23-2019, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Managed to leave work a little early today to get to the paint store before they close.

Finished grinding the weld , then etch primer .
While this was drying I practiced on paper with the stone guard and got good results that would match factory finish .

Then masked the trunk and blasted some stone guard.

Unfortunately , shooting it down a funnel-shaped masking effort got not so good results

I decided to have a go at polishing a turd and removed excess and Leveled it with an acid brush , then about 10 minutes later removed masking and dabbed with an artist brush , then 5 min later went over it with a 4” foam roller .

I’ll dust the whole area with black paint tomm0row and see how well new blends into old ...

Last edited by ian c2; 02-25-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I visited the trunk again tonight .

The factory finish is much smoother , so I gave it a rub with 600 .

Looked better , so time for the test ......
Shiney black paint under bright white led light and a 2x12mp iPhone

Terrible ....

Old 02-26-2019, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

So I just went in again , and rubbed the shine down a little with 600 ....

Battery ships today from odyssey, but I forgot to order hardware to bolt it down .

so I guess I’ll have a week to either redo it or get it a mixture of grey , brown , and half-assed dull black just like the factory half finished trunk before the battery covers it all up

Last edited by ian c2; 02-26-2019 at 08:18 PM..
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Finally got a finish that works for now ...

I have decided I will be revisiting this as a rolling-repair in a few months once the car is back on the road
Battery clamp and battery ground cable is ordered and once fitted , everything in this area is now new so only real costs will be my labor .

Old 03-02-2019, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Notes from my experience for those that ever need to do this repair (hopefully you wonít ever have to) :

Donít leave your car unattended for years on end .

Squirt kriol or pbBlaster on battery clamp bolt before you remove it , and use anti-seize when you reinstall it ....

Jack up rear of car before using a turkey baster to put rust remover through bolt hole .

Be prepared to get into trouble for using turkey baster for car repairs .

If you donít have a hole at rear of battery cable cover , do not pick at it thinking there should be a hole .

If you do have a hole at rear of battery cable cover , good luck trying to find out what 6mm part porsche used to plug it .

If youíre not too bothered about originality , The 993 battery tray has holes in it and copying these would be handy to get a cheap phone-boroscope in to check for rust/paint coverage . And also to insert the wand . (Pic at end)

Muriatic acid will remove plating from 6mm nut so you can get a decent weld .

You could spent about $70 for a new battery tray if you are prepared to spot-weld it in and re-cover entire area in trunk and underneath . If my car had damage underneath I would have done this . You can also buy a new battery tray and section-in the nut area . (My option for the future)

Remember a 911 trunk is quite a small area when the apprentice youíre getting to weld it is built like a tank .

Insert the nut with the longest m8 bolt you can , then flatten tray with 1/2Ē chisel , before removing bolt and finishing with impact socket and 1/2Ē drive extension .

Dust-buster spray will fit in wand and can successfully clean it for future use .

Remember no matter how many times you practice to get a great finish with stone guard a mixture of beer , tiredness and rushing will result in an explosive diarrhea of the stuff all over your carefully masked area .
Either wipe it off and try the next day , or spend a week or so trying to make it look half decent .

It might be worth experimenting with brushable seam sealer and brushes , rollers , sex-toys etc. to replicate the texture of the factory finish .

The plastic cover thing at the front of the trunk should be fitted before you bolt down the battery cable cover .

The abs pump bracket is a pain .
Remove back relay to get 10mm ratchet wrench in .
Be prepared for a fight to reinstall it one bolt at a time to hold in place wile you wrestle the next one in .

The top cover will wobble around and look like it does in the pictures from an hour ago , until you realize the rear section clamps over a piece of metal on the tank support section .

If you get in trouble for using the dishwasher to clean car-parts , the small cover with ABS on it can be taken in shower and cleaned then wiped down with a white bath towel .

Be prepared for getting in trouble for having car-parts in the shower and ruining white towels .

An odyssey battery is a tight fit into the bracket at the rear .
It will fit in , but only if you slide it backward ad forward when holding angled towards the rear bracket.
Do this first and it will fall into place when installing permanently.

You might find it hard to get the right parts .
I moved on to Mac a few years ago and donít have PET again yet .
Iíve spent way too long searching American and euro PDFs to clarify part numbers , so Iíll post everything Iíve got upto now later tonight .

Hereís the 993 pic with handy inspection/maintenance holes .

Old 03-02-2019, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Yay !!!
The rain stopped

Getting a little ahead on some future work ...

You can do this the easy way .
Or you can do this the hard way .
Choice is yours .

Old 03-03-2019, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I’ve been Steadily cleaning away at the euro rear bumper reinforcement whilst waiting for today’s dealer parts ..

Hopefully , this will be a pile of empty bags and boxes tomorrow as the “while I’m in there” oil cooler work is done .

Found the Allen socket for changing the USA bumper mounts to euro mounts , but cannot Find my 1/2” drive ratchet

Tomorrow’s task might be delayed a little while I go buy a cheap ratchet from harbor freight, as I want to finish front bumper brackets at same time as fitting turbo S aux oil cooler .

If I have time I’ll also drill out the rivets holding the plastic euro rear bumper mounts from the aluminium , as the rs didn’t use them and I have both euro c2 and euro rs rear bumpers and I haven’t yet decided which I’ll run .
So I’m preparing the bumper aluminum for either scenario .

Last edited by ian c2; 03-09-2019 at 05:58 PM..
Old 03-09-2019, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Im part way through it ..

Remove fan housing with 4 m6 nuts , and place to one side .
Clean existing oil cooler connections with brush and carb-cleaner before disassembling .
Remove oil cooler and leave to drain whilst removing fan-studs and bottom rubbers .
Retire to house for beer and cigarettes whilst checking orders from yesterday as you can’t find and can’t remember if you even ordered a new temp sensor sealing washer .
Finish beer and cigarette with washer in hand .
900 123 007 30 for those interested .

Old 03-10-2019, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: