Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

964 Warning lights and intermittent surge

Hey, so I’ve had my 91 964 C2 for about a month. I got the “Christmas tree” effect with the lights and the warning horn. I changed the wires, distributor caps, plugs, coils, DME and unplugged and replugged the ECU. It seemed to have gone away, but now all my warning lights will come on but I don’t get the warning horn anymore.

I also get an intermittent surge in power while driving, like it wants to cut out(feels jerky). I replaced the fuel filter but that didn’t fix the problem. It idles fine and runs smooth other than the intermittent surge, I let off the throttle and it goes away.

Any recommendations or suggestions, it’s fun to work on these cars but can be frustrating when you think you have the problem fixed but returns.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Look at dry solder joints behind the instruments in the dash .
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If you havent, check the earth strap betweeen the battery and the body and betweeen the gearbox and the body . The latter Will corrode w time and cause intermittent loss of contact.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the cleaning of connections and clock soldering doesnt work I would get rid of the Bosch Silver coils, I had them fail within minutes of installation. They bench test ok but when they get warm they cause issues

Best option at present is switch to the 993 coils
Old 06-09-2019, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the recommendations! I am going to check the grounds and the back of the instruments today. I just changed the coils a couple weeks ago, but maybe the 993 swap is the way to go. Does anyone know of a company that sales a plug and play kit? I know the wire ends are different between the 964 and 993.

Any suggestions on the surges in power while driving?
Old 06-09-2019, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! I am going to check the grounds and the back of the instruments today. I just changed the coils a couple weeks ago, but maybe the 993 swap is the way to go. Does anyone know of a company that sales a plug and play kit? I know the wire ends are different between the 964 and 993.

Any suggestions on the surges in power while driving?
The grounding strap from my transmission to the body is missing. I just put one on order, can anyone explain the location on the trans and body that I need to bolt it to?
Old 06-09-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
1. Starter fixing bolt on trans. 2 There should be a threaded hole in a groundplate at the base of the body om the rhs.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy View Post
If you havent, check the earth strap betweeen the battery and the body and betweeen the gearbox and the body . The latter Will corrode w time and cause intermittent loss of contact.
+1 Even if the ground cable (strap) looks okay, check its resistance on a low resistance scale on a multimeter. It should be virtually zero. Once when I was having issues with my 964, I measured 700 ohms on the main battery ground strap. A new cable fixed everything.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Swapping to 993 coils fixed the problem.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: