Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Turboman
Engine capsule

I am about to start some engine oil leak repairs on my 1991 964. "Lazy Boy"
After a good inspection, I found that the "heat barriers" noted on the PET as "engine capsule" (964 119 019 03 and 964 119 029 04) are in pretty bad shape.
Once, talking with Bruce Anderson, he advice me to get rid of the engine under cover, with the idea to make the engine run cooler.
It is possible also to remove the two "engine capsules" (heat barriers) or is better to buy and install new ones.
Include a photo of the engine capsule.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

J. FRancisco Oreamuno.
Montoison France

1991 Carrera 4 Cabrio. "Lazy Boy"
1970 914-6 "Tangerine"

Old 03-22-2020, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you are referring to the belly pans or trays, many here in the US remove them for better cooling.
'91 964 Targa guards red, cashmere
several 914's and loads of parts
Old 03-22-2020, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 914986 View Post
If you are referring to the belly pans or trays, many here in the US remove them for better cooling.
Thanks 914986 I am talking about the vertical heat barriers, between the heath exchangers and the valve covers. You screw the belly pan on them.
Francisco
Old 03-23-2020, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You could reline them with heat resistant material

Someone on here had for sale titanium shields that bolted onto the valve cover studs..
Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 964TargaC2 View Post
You could reline them with heat resistant material

Someone on here had for sale titanium shields that bolted onto the valve cover studs..
Thanks 964 Targa C2, seems to be the correct way. Have a nice day.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I think that these shields were more for sound control than a heat shield. Apparently, European legislation forced Porsche to take several steps to quiet the engine noise on the 964 and 993 cars, including the curved blade fans and the encapsulation of the whole bottom of the engine. I bought my 964 without the belly pan 16 years ago, and when I did valve adjustments and other work over the years, I put all the side shields up on the shelf in the shop. Much better access without them. OTOH, I do think Porsche was able to smooth out the under-car airflow by use of the belly pan and side shields, but I've never driven a 964 with all the under car sheet metal installed to see if there is a difference at speed.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoupe View Post
I think that these shields were more for sound control than a heat shield. Apparently, European legislation forced Porsche to take several steps to quiet the engine noise on the 964 and 993 cars, including the curved blade fans and the encapsulation of the whole bottom of the engine. I bought my 964 without the belly pan 16 years ago, and when I did valve adjustments and other work over the years, I put all the side shields up on the shelf in the shop. Much better access without them. OTOH, I do think Porsche was able to smooth out the under-car airflow by use of the belly pan and side shields, but I've never driven a 964 with all the under car sheet metal installed to see if there is a difference at speed.
Thanks for your advice, Red Coupe, you maybe right. My car is a Swiss version, for that market noise reduction is a issue. I am going to follow your advice, and remove them. Thanks. Francisco.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

There's a recent post on RL showing a Porsche document (in German) explaining that the panels are to reduce rear lift. They probably have secondary benefits such as sound control but the prime reason is performance/safety related. I will not be removing. If I lived in a really hot climate...maybe - but the "Swiss sound" purpose seems to be internet speculation vs. fact.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The main pan underneath the engine may well reduce rear lift. It would certainly appear to make a smoother path from bow to stern. However, the pan on my car was missing in action before I acquired my car, so I can't see the need to keep the side panels or the supports in place with a large gaping hole in the middle. I kept all the pieces, just in case. I have driven the car quite fast on occasion, and as long as the rear spoiler was deployed, the car was very stable. I have never driven my car with the pan in place, but My guess is that the air exit vents in the pan are adequate for proper cooling when running. I wonder if when stopped in hot weather after a long run whether the pan could tend to retain the heat more than without it.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
There's a recent post on RL showing a Porsche document (in German) explaining that the panels are to reduce rear lift. They probably have secondary benefits such as sound control but the prime reason is performance/safety related. I will not be removing. If I lived in a really hot climate...maybe - but the "Swiss sound" purpose seems to be internet speculation vs. fact.
Interesting DaBears, a clear point. Thannks
Francisco
Old 03-26-2020, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
In addition to lift aerodynamic drag was reduced from a Cd of .42 to .32.

From page 205 of Porsche 911 Story,
seventh edition by Paul Fre're

"Following extensive wind tunnnel tests - which indicated that minor retouches to the external shape, and with the addition of a smooth underpan, the drag could be considerably reduced - it was decided to retain the car's original shape."

On page 206
"The good Cd of .32 achieved by the 964 series Carrera 2 and 4 coup'es must be put to the credit of the smooth underpan, which extends over the entire length of the underbody and to the integrated bumpers."
2006 Nissan Frontier
1986 F250
Old 03-27-2020, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3. View Post
In addition to lift aerodynamic drag was reduced from a Cd of .42 to .32.

From page 205 of Porsche 911 Story,
seventh edition by Paul Fre're

"Following extensive wind tunnnel tests - which indicated that minor retouches to the external shape, and with the addition of a smooth underpan, the drag could be considerably reduced - it was decided to retain the car's original shape."

On page 206
"The good Cd of .32 achieved by the 964 series Carrera 2 and 4 coup'es must be put to the credit of the smooth underpan, which extends over the entire length of the underbody and to the integrated bumpers."
Ralph3 Appreciate your comment, "Lazy Boy" will get new capsules and the belly pan. Have a nice week end.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: