Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Engine Fire

Sad day 1991 targa went up in flames , should I try and save it? From the back of the doors forward no damage. All the damage is located from firewall back. All the structural areas seem to still be very solid and intact. Looks to be that the fire spread to the fiberglass deck lid. Hoping the car can be saved.

Last edited by Sbf302; 04-07-2021 at 05:45 PM..
Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm sure it can be fixed, but at but at what cost? Hope you have replacement value insurance.
Decide between getting a replacement and repairing. Not sure which would cost more.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'll buy it back from insurance as a project.
Good luck on your claims.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sorry to hear about your loss. Any idea what caused the fire? Fuel line leak? Any prior warning? Maybe you can prevent somebody else from losing theirs. Best of luck to you and yours.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Fuel lines wear all replaced in 2016, Ive heard a few different cause, electrical or oil fire.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Well, those aren't great pictures to make a determination on.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by group911@aol.co View Post
Well, those aren't great pictures to make a determination on.
ok
Old 04-09-2021, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If it was me, I would buy it from the insurance company, assuming it's an good deal, and you don't have to split the engine case. To get a good deal, you probably have to negotiate with the insurance company, but that's very normal, from my experience. From the pics, I am assuming the fire was limited, as the colored wires are not completely cooked. If you are handy, what's the worse that will happen? You buy new harnesses, sensors, new bits that were near/in the fire and swap them. Buy a bore scope and inspect the internals.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSny View Post
If it was me, I would buy it from the insurance company, assuming it's an good deal, and you don't have to split the engine case. To get a good deal, you probably have to negotiate with the insurance company, but that's very normal, from my experience. From the pics, I am assuming the fire was limited, as the colored wires are not completely cooked. If you are handy, what's the worse that will happen? You buy new harnesses, sensors, new bits that were near/in the fire and swap them. Buy a bore scope and inspect the internals.
Will need paint and body work, rear window and then the mechanical items.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Absolute horrorshow, thats why I carry fire extinguishers in all my vehicles

Please note the seal for the rear window is no longer available
Old 04-11-2021, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964TargaC2 View Post
Absolute horrorshow, thats why I carry fire extinguishers in all my vehicles

Please note the seal for the rear window is no longer available
Fire extinguisher was in car, it was no match for the fire.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I have a deck lid and rear bumpers. Don't think I have a good set of lights. Maybe some of the harness stuff.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Very sad to see the car. Sounds like everybody is ok, that's most important of course. Looks like a a fair amount of work. It would be nice to hear from somebody who has had experience w/thermal events. Maybe post something in general 911 forum, if you are thinking about repairing it. - you can use this information w/the insurance company. Do as much investigation as possible on potential pitfalls.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: