Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Manassas, VA

Garage
Porsche Crest Tie Rod Bellows

964 Friends,
After an enjoyable morning under the front end of my 1991 964 turbo, I noticed both of my steering unit bellows are trashed (split wide open near the steering unit). I see that the replacement bellows are available at Pelican for the reasonable sum of $6.50 each.
Now, the question is what is the easiest way to replace just the bellows. Must I remove the tie rod end from the wheel side? Is there a way to do this that will not require an alignment? Of course, I would prefer not to drop the steering unit. I remember the old 911s used a pin in the swivel with a cotter pin to hold it in place.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-06-2007, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Unfortunately, you will need to disconnect the tie rod ends, which will necessitate an alignment

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat
Unfortunately, you will need to disconnect the tie rod ends, which will necessitate an alignment
Not if you put them back the way they were. If you pay attention, it is possible to re-install exactly the way they came out. Just leave the retaining nut where it was and also measure with a caliper and mark things before disassembly and you'll be fine.

George
Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
I have a 12" caliper and I will give it a go. If it feels funny or pulls to one side, I knowhat I have to do.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-09-2007, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: