Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

964 running rich

I have a freinds 1989 964 c4 that came in the shop this week. , His complaint is that is that the car ,under light throttle, after it is warm, will fall on its face, and nearly stall. I had it running yesterday, and although it reved ok, it idled terribly, this morning, it would not even start, sounded like only a couple cylinders were firing, I pulled the plugs, and they are black and sooty, I will change them in the am, and hopefully it will run again,. There is black soot all around the tail pipe area of the bumper, so I am assuming that it is running rich. He said that the car ran real well until it has been running for about 30 min, and then it would act up. Since I cannot scan this car , I will have to check all the senors manually , so any tips that could save time would be helpful. I have verified that fuel pressure is 51 psi.. I will monitor 02 sensor operation , and air flow meter readings once I get it up and running again. I am thinking temp sensor, O2, or afm, any other thoughts???? He says that the car pulls like a frieght train under full throttle, and that it only acts up under light throttle , at cruise speeds on the freeway. I mostly play with older porsche, and unfortunately Porsche and Volvo are the only two cars that I do not have acces into their computers. ( time to upgrade)
Thanks
Fred
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm betting that he has a sticky injector or two.

Put a noid light on the injectors and see what kind of pulse you are getting. I've seen a few with bad DMEs that kept the injectors open for excessive periods of time that had symptoms similar to this.

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: