Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Belt shims

Does anyone know how many shims the factory put on the pulley's for the belts. I called the dealer today and they say it will take up to six of each. The 1990 964 I just put a new alternator on only has four each. The fan is still hitting so I think the new bushing that I put on the old alternater has been eaten up by the bent shaft. I hope I can fix the problem with more shims. I also think he will be buying a new bushing to fix the problem. He's cheap and getting him to spend money is like pulling teeth.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If memory serves, they came with 5 each.

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If we're talking about fan belt pulley shims, probably 6, but that shouldn't affect fan blade clearance, only belt tension, right?

If the fan is hitting the housing(?) then the alternator may not be mounted properly in the fan housing.

These comments based on having just replaced the alternator on my 82SC, so may not apply to your situation.

Paul
'2018 Volvo V60 Cross Country for being an adult
'96 993 cab (gone, oops); '82 SC (gone, rear-ended)
Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: