Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

and interested as well, acquired recently lovely 964 and want to be ready to take on this very project, ∑hich i wouldn't even consider trying w/o the brain trust available here...many thanks in advance, many Q's to come...ĦiĦi
Old 09-14-2016, 01:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
Oleg Perelet

Garage
Hello everybody. I finally figured out why pics from this thread disappear. I used dropbox to host images, and dropbox pulled out all public folders, so people cant share pics on internet. I can not edit my old posts here to fix image links either.

I created backup of this thread on my home server and all pics are hosted on my server also. It's maybe not fastest, but pics should show up:

http://perelet.com/cars/porsche/leaks_thread/1.html

Keep your garage floor clean!

PS. Over time I'll backup suspension thread and my bmw posts - all of them are affected by disappearing pics.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perelet View Post
Hello everybody. I finally figured out why pics from this thread disappear. I used dropbox to host images, and dropbox pulled out all public folders, so people cant share pics on internet. I can not edit my old posts here to fix image links either.

I created backup of this thread on my home server and all pics are hosted on my server also. It's maybe not fastest, but pics should show up:

964 Oil leaks & fixes thread. with images

Keep your garage floor clean!

PS. Over time I'll backup suspension thread and my bmw posts - all of them are affected by disappearing pics.

Thanks Oleg, I'm about to do a full reseal and will no doubt refer to these often.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Oleg, a question for you on the valve guides. Why did you have to thread one end of the guide and insert a bolt, when you appear to have pressed it out from the other end? Also, where did you source the guides?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Oleg Perelet

Garage
Here's factory recommended way - you need to machine down bronze till you see aluminum head.

Some machine shops machine step at valve guide top, so it will stop at correct distance. Problem with that - step will crack head and it's very hard to notice cause it's against head.

I used bolt as stop and press guide from chamber, it's not uncommon practice.

PS. As noted above most of pics in this thread will disappear sometime during Mar 2017
I have backup with pics here:
Old 03-07-2017, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Interesting info about your guide removal Perelet. It looks like you skipped the usual method of boring/drilling and opted to "pull" them out. These heads require unusual practices to remove the guides. This is why you should send your Porsche heads to someone who knows the methods. Otherwise, you get cracks in the valve guide boss-
1997 3.6 L varioram in the Engine Hospital - needing Diagnosis

Last edited by nickd; 03-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Initially mis-read
Old 03-10-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Oleg Perelet

Garage
Gordon, thanks for thread link. That's exactly what I meant and had trouble illustrating. Here's pic from that thread. IF one will push that guide from cam side - machined step will crack the head. Exactly what happened to the person in that thread, cause some reputable shop applied press from wrong side to Porsche guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd View Post
This is why you should send your Porsche heads to someone who knows the methods.
That is always an very valuable option.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Oleg Perelet

Garage
Pics from beginning of this thread are gone, dropbox pulled out public links.

Link to backup thread with pics:

Last edited by perelet; 05-14-2017 at 02:06 PM..
Old 03-22-2017, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

thank you for pics Perelet !
Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
Sucks this thread has lost almost all of its good pictures.
2001 996 Turbo - ~42k miles
Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone have a pdf saved of the photos that are missing?
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: