Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Mind Boggling OBDII issue - will it pass emissions???

Just bought a 993 cab with 37000 miles on it. I love driving it and can't wait to leave my house tonight to drive some more.

I have an OBDII emissions questions:

I had a PPI on the car prior to purchase and the mechanic told me it came up with a secondary air intake fault code and told me it won't pass emissions in Washington state.

However, the car is not showing a check engine light and to my knowledge has "never" shown a check engine light in the past for this problem (assuming I trust the seller).

I bought a cheap ($70) obdii scanner. I plugged it in a bunch of times, and it shows that everything is ok. No faults or pending faults.

To sum up:
1. a mechanic has told me there's an SAI fault based on his professional obdii scanner
2. NO check engine light is on or has ever been on
3. Cheap obdii scanner says everything checks out.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Will it or won't it pass emission?
Appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited by p911enthusiast; 10-22-2012 at 05:37 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

if it does not show up on your scanner and no CEL, you should be good..... and HAPPY!

the only thing you need to worry about is to make sure the readiness codes have all cleared before the smog check.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Some codes are 2-trip or 3 trip codes meaning that the computer will hold them as a pending code untill the final failure will set the light. Some codes will fail only once and the car will have to go through a certain number of drive cycles (large number) with no failure for the pending code to be extinguished. The state scanner will pick these pending codes up and fail the car. I would have my doubts about a cheap scanner obviously because its cheap.
Check it with pst2 or piwis or autologic.
See also if the readiness flag has been set for the SAI. If it hasn't, it would imply that there is a pending code.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
obd

Does the CEL come on when you 1st turn on ignition, before you start the engine???> Make sure it works to begin with, if it does, try to have car inspected right away, before it goes on, then you will have at least a year of peace.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. The CEL does come on when initially starting but then goes off (verifying that the light itself is working).
My biggest concern is as Matt states that there could be a pending code that has not yet triggered the CEL, yet it will be enough to fail emissions. However, my cheap scanner is supposed to show "pending" codes and currently it does not. Perhaps, it does not show all codes that can are available.
I just found out that I don't need to do emissions testing until next winter. I think I'll enjoy driving for now and worry about it later. Procrastination is a skill of mine.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
It may be a readiness code that did not set. A cheap OBD won't show that. Many states check for it at time of inspection. Driving it will help and the code my be set by emission time.

G

Old 10-23-2012, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
obdii emissions