Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Anyone ever converted a Carrera 4 gearbox for use in a Carrera 2

Hello all,

Has anyone ever converted a Carrera 4 gearbox to be used in a Carrera 2 or older 911 g-series car.

I have been offered a Carrera 4 gearbox and am considering it as an option as I cant find a decent 911 3.2 Carrera g50 gearbox or 964 G50 Carrera 2 gearbox here in SA which is exactly what I actually need.

Can one convert a Carrera 4 gearbox if so is it a big job and what parts are required.

thanks in advance for the help

911 RSR Jagermeister replica

1987 944 Turbo cup
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
Hello all,

Has anyone ever converted a Carrera 4 gearbox to be used in a Carrera 2 or older 911 g-series car.

I have been offered a Carrera 4 gearbox and am considering it as an option as I cant find a decent 911 3.2 Carrera g50 gearbox or 964 G50 Carrera 2 gearbox here in SA which is exactly what I actually need.

Can one convert a Carrera 4 gearbox if so is it a big job and what parts are required.

thanks in advance for the help
The issue w/ 964 g64 is the concentric output shafts one goes forward and on back. It may be possible to remove the forward one or cut and weld. These transmissions are the red headed step children in the Porsche transmission world, not too much has been done w/ the them.

I'd keep looking for a g50 myself
Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks appreciate the advice

1987 944 Turbo cup
Old 11-22-2013, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gearhead

What Bill said. Not even the gears are interchangeable with other g50s and the two wheel drive conversion is darn near impossible.

A couple months back there was a member in la with a nice g50-03 that he couldn't give away. I didn't understand it. People could even drive the gearbox in the car.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys appreciated the feedback guess it sounds like a really bad idea so back to the drawing board hunting for a standard 911 3.2 Carrera G50

1987 944 Turbo cup
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Oleg Perelet

Garage
Porsche 911 964 993 G50 64 Transmission 5 Speed Adjustable LSD | eBay

And because ebay listing will expire and disapear, here's ad paste. Pretty interesting:

Quote:

Brand:
Porsche
Warranty:
No
This is a Porsche G64/00 transmission that has been converted to 2WD for track application.
I bought this gearbox with another identical one 3 years ago, for $3500 each. The first one went on my car, this one has been seating in my garage since.

It follows the G50 specs (mounts in place an fits exactly - at least what happened on my 1992 964) however it's got a couple nice features:*
- short ratios of the Carrera 4
- internals that are said to be stronger than on the G50 (but I've never heard of a fried G50)
- the real advantage of this box is the adjustable LSD that can be controlled 0-100% from the cockpit (or more simply with a bolt or a screw that allows to statically adjust the LSD - that's what I had on my car).

The only downside of these gearboxes is that it's said they are hard to re-gear (I don't know why, but that's what the mechanics told me when I bought them). But honestly I've never had to re-gear a Porsche box so that didn't really matter.

Ratios:
Reverse: 2.857:1
1st: 3.500:1
2nd: 2.118:1 (vs.*2.059:1 for Carrera 2 G50)
3rd: 1.444:1 (vs.*1.407:1)
4th: 1.086:1*
5th (OD): 0.868:1
Final drive: 3.444:1 (vs.*3.333:1)

On picture #3 the hydraulic actuator that controls the LSD can be seen, it can be replaced with a simple bolt that would exercise more of less pressure, or some use high pressure brake fluid from the brake booster and a valve on the dashboard to dynamically adjust the pressure sent to the LSD thus changing its setting from 0 to 100%. I heard this is what the computer does on the Carrera 4 to control the traction.
On my 964, my mechanics had setup a bolt that was easy to setup. I knew that 90 degrees on the bolt would adjust the LSD from about 20% to about 85%. On fast track I'd go 80%, on slow tracks and road I'd be more around 30%.

Please note: NO WARRANTY - NO RETURN - NO REFUND.

Please note that I'm no expert at all and have no idea about the internal condition of this gearbox. It was said to have low mileage after the conversion. Everything spins and shifts smoothly. But please note that it's sold as is, no refund possible, I need the funds to buy a set of wheels. There might be a couple accessories missing, like the clutch fork or whatever it's called as well as a small cover on the rear left of the box, the selector rod can be seen inside.

SHIPPING : NO SHIPPING but I can HELP with FREIGHT.
I won't have time to manage shipping and will encourage local pickup however I'd be happy to help a driver load the gearbox on a palette if buyer manages shipping via freight at its cost.

Thank you for taking the time to watch my auction. I've sold my track car and still have a few parts that could be of interest. Feel free to ask. I can create a listing to make the part available on eBay if you need.

Priced to sell fast at $2750! Don't wait, it could be gone before you take it!!

Last edited by perelet; 12-02-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Old 12-02-2013, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks. I've heard of it being done but this is the first I've actually seen. Matt or Bill, any comments on the internals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by perelet View Post
Porsche 911 964 993 G50 64 Transmission 5 Speed Adjustable LSD | eBay

And because ebay listing will expire and disapear, here's ad paste. Pretty interesting:
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Oleg Perelet

Garage
Looks like bolt mentioned in the ad is plain jane replacement for porsche special tool 9514, mentioned in repair manual:

There's another adjuster for front to back split, see manual.

C4 LT used manual (aka "bolt") adjusters instead of "sputnik" auto system used in C4's. Circled in red in pics below.

PS. I wish somebody can build real C4, but looks like most of C4 owners are busy saying how "good" and "reliable" sputnik system is

Last edited by perelet; 12-03-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

trying to use the G64/00 for a mid engine race car. need to convert this to 2wd. any help?
I have heard of a coupling that was built but where do you buy one? or can the clutch pack be welded to do the same thing? or do I return this thing and save for the right one?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: