Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Where did you guys source the flares? I'm curious to see how "oem looking" the duraflex parts will look once painted. Great work so far!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanh View Post
Where did you guys source the flares? I'm curious to see how "oem looking" the duraflex parts will look once painted. Great work so far!
We originally sourced the flares from Eckler's Automotion - (automotion dot com)

The front flares were ordered, however the rear were B.O. After looking around for about a month I got an e-mail stating that the rear flares were shipped. So in the end Eckler's.

Also we are using 930 flares and not 965 styling flares.

As to the Duraflex I'm curious as well, as I would have rather have gotten the kit from a tried and used source. But what the hell.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Sub'd. I love the make shift garage. Your Dad reminds me of my Uncle. Lol. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVI_Porsche View Post
We originally sourced the flares from Eckler's Automotion - (automotion dot com)

The front flares were ordered, however the rear were B.O. After looking around for about a month I got an e-mail stating that the rear flares were shipped. So in the end Eckler's.

Also we are using 930 flares and not 965 styling flares.

As to the Duraflex I'm curious as well, as I would have rather have gotten the kit from a tried and used source. But what the hell.
The flares have the exact same shape so your good there. I don't know who else makes a quality kit besides finding the factory parts.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanh View Post
The flares have the exact same shape so your good there. I don't know who else makes a quality kit besides finding the factory parts.
I've saw a few European manufacturers... Names aren't coming yo me right now. But I've read in their installs and pretty much are installable out the box.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

If you come up on those names, shoot me a pm.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
I've saw a few European manufacturers... Names aren't coming yo me right now. But I've read in their installs and pretty much are installable out the box.
Nice build! - and weather, grrrr - you're not thinking of FVD Brombacher in Germany are you? Cargraphic are another one, or Manthey, RS Tuning....

ETA - if you want a great source of reference, have a read through RobT's epic 964 rebuild over on Rennlist (although there's a few hiccups with photo links in the earlier pages)
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here...now more than just a simple EFI conversion ---> http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-mbe-engine-management.html
....and also now on Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_porsche #spennybengineproject

Last edited by Spenny_b; 01-20-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Old 01-20-2015, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenny_b View Post
Nice build! - and weather, grrrr - you're not thinking of FVD Brombacher in Germany are you? Cargraphic are another one, or Manthey, RS Tuning....

ETA - if you want a great source of reference, have a read through RobT's epic 964 rebuild over on Rennlist (although there's a few hiccups with photo links in the earlier pages)
I am referring to those names actually... I apologize for the brevity and typos in my last post. I'm travelling and rushed that post before push back. And once I land again I will definitely look at your link. And yes the weather in the BVI is great, but I do miss living in Nova Scotia, was up there for a few years at university.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Hi Guys I'm thinking about dropping my engine so I can fix my clutch, it's slipping under high revs but there's no shuttering therefore I think I'll only need A clutch plate (disc) I've been told the rest presure plate & fly wheel should be ok as it was only fitted 20,000 miles ago do you think that sounds right? Also can you please tell me roughly how long it takes to remove my engine? it's the same model as yours A 1990 although its A C4
Cheers
Gus
Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzygus View Post
Hi Guys I'm thinking about dropping my engine so I can fix my clutch, it's slipping under high revs but there's no shuttering therefore I think I'll only need A clutch plate (disc) I've been told the rest presure plate & fly wheel should be ok as it was only fitted 20,000 miles ago do you think that sounds right? Also can you please tell me roughly how long it takes to remove my engine? it's the same model as yours A 1990 although its A C4
Cheers
Gus
To be honest I'm not entirely sure about your situation, however, it does sound as if it is only the clutch plate.

Ours is actually a C4 also, and these engines aren't complicated to take out. Think it took my dad roughly 1/2 day to pull the engine out, granted that was pulling it out from the wrecked body. Sorry I can't offer more help.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2015, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Wheel sizes...I know that this may have been answered numerous times before, but I can't find much info.

We are using 930 steel flares on the car to widen it. I heard I should be running 18x11 Rear and 18X9.5 front? We are with stock Narrow body trailing arms, and also not sure of offsets.

18X11 seems to be a hard to find wheel, so we were thinking 17x10? As we'ld run spacers, and drop down to 17's so that we can get some decent profiles.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
A mate's 964 turbo is running Brombacher wheels of 18x8.5 ET54 with 235/40 tyres on the front. Rears at 18x10 ET47 with 275/35.

NB railing arms might well change things though.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV911SYDNEY View Post
A mate's 964 turbo is running Brombacher wheels of 18x8.5 ET54 with 235/40 tyres on the front. Rears at 18x10 ET47 with 275/35.

NB railing arms might well change things though.
Brombacher has some nice wheels, I'll have to send an e-mail to seek offsets etc.

I managed to find a post where some one with a WB conversion ran:
Front - 18x8, ET 38, 6.5" Inner barrel, 1.5" outer lip, 7/8 front spacers
Rear - 18x10, ET24, 6.5" inner barrel, 3.5" outer lip, 1.25" rear spacers

Thing is on the roads down here, spending anything more than $500 per rim is just ludicrous.

However, it seems as though the 5x130 pattern is a hard to find (specific obviously) wheel.
So I was thinking maybe using wheel hub adapters with the specified spacings, to go from a 5x130 pattern to a more generic 5x114.3.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
Quote:
it seems as though the 5x130 pattern is a hard to find (specific obviously) wheel.
yep, really limits your options
Old 02-16-2015, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Update: Duaraflex and more...

Hey guys,

So I owe some of you a progress update. As it stands now, the engine bay, underside of frunk/hood and hinges have been primed, and will be sprayed in the Indischrot Red later on today. We were halted due to the fact that our auto-store no longer had the paint in stock. However, we managed to get them special ordered. For those who are wondering, the paint is PPG brand, Indischrot Red based on Porsche color code. (Update: Have been sprayed)

Also, the Duraflex kit that was ordered was sold as a ‘turbo look’ and thus the rear bumper had a single cut out for non-turbo 964’s. So we had a shop that operates in the marina cut out the outlet for the left side and glass the lip in. This done, as we were going to have a custom exhaust system fab’d here, however the Fabspeed Performance package with DME chip is pretty enticing. We had the fabricator, fiberglass an extended lip in the bottom side of the front bumper, as it wasn’t lining up to be screwed in.

In relation to wheels, they are currently being shipped, thus I have no actual pictures other than the ebay listing. I managed to find a pair of (17x8 and 17x10) 3-piece speedlines in Puerto Rico with a winning bid of $1000. They seem to be in relatively okay condition, with one needing a bit of refinishing, however, they will all be refinished in bronze, so no sweat. I figured we will just use spacers, and if not, we can find outer lips online and swap it.

We have started installing heat/sound-deadening foam inside the car. Carpet will not go in until after a full respray, then the car will spend some time with our upholster. All glass will go back in after, as he also has to install the headliners.

So far the dash has been coming together, we have sprayed the gauge bezels in red, to play around with colour options. However after the car is complete, gauges will be sent off for a refurb. Oh and the mileage (102811 Miles) on the speedo is actual mileage on the engine... Gauges matching numbers to engine.

Apart from trying to get painting done this weekend, as here in the BVI is was a 3 day weekend, (Monday - today was a holiday as well as next Monday) I have had some bad luck. My parents both have JDM vehicles. However, my mother relocated to the US, and left her vehicle with me as I sold my personal car before I went to University. Some idiot decided to crash into my mothers vehicle in it's own parking lot in our neighbourhood. Took me three months to receive payment from him as he did not want to go through insurance. In the process of fixing the vehicle on our own, my dad and I had to remove the hood latch to align the hood properly, but that evening I forgot to put it on and I drove down the road and the hood smashed the windscreen, that was in Dec. I went through a dealer to get a new hood and windscreen in Jan, and he said I'd get my parts 1st of Feb. But he called on Saturday to inform me that the windsheild had arrived. When I went to receive it on of his workers hit it and broke it. So now I am stuck with out a ride for I don't know however long again. But here in the Caribbean, hitching a ride isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited by BVI_Porsche; 03-02-2015 at 07:16 PM..
Old 03-02-2015, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Update:

So fitment picture, and yes that is a non-functional brakeduct which was ordered from Porsche Shop UK.

Me installing insulation.

Frunk as stands right now, complete with some OJ & Vodka

Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Update: Flares

So this weekend was quite productive. We managed to get the front flares welded to the fenders. We had to trim the flares back a little, so that we could weld based on the cut. The cut followed the mounting bracket that bolts up under the wheel well.

Also the wheels came in! Pretty great shape. The front wheels are perfect fit. However we are on the edge about ordering a lip that is 1" more than the current outer lip for the rear, or just run 1" spacers.

Also, went to check on the interior upholstery, and it's going along pretty well!

Welding complete, and rust lock on. The flares were tack welded whilst on the car. Afterwards we took them to my dad's workshop to continue welding and panel beat, as we did not want to annoy neighbours.

Completed and back on car.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Liking the progress my friend. Keep it up!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Update: Rear Flares, Rear Bumper, Etc.

Between throwing my dad a huge 50th, graduation and having family down, we have not been working on the car for at least a month. That being said, I have also been delaying my posts.

Anyway, so we welded the rear flares sometime ago, and well, the right side came out a little rough as it was the first time my dad welded in over 25 years. So yea.
The left came out really well however.

The rear bumper (also Duraflex) had some fitment issues, as it would warp when being aligned with the mounting points, so we had our fabricator do his thing, to rid the bulges, and ease any tension that could potentially start cracks.

Today we worked on the side skirts. We were looking into purchasing Gruppe 2 sideskirts, however, it is a little pricey. Turbo rear sill covers are bloody expensive as well.

The Duraflex kit does not come with the rear sill cover. So my dad came up with an idea. He wanted the skirt to be flat at the top and come off the car about 2 inches at the rear. So he had the fabricator mold a rear piece in, and today we did the templates to make the lip. I will post pictures on this tomorrow, hopefully.

I have also been busy degreasing the underside. I have gone through 3 gallons of degreaser, and I haven't even gotten to the front end as yet. But, slowly and surely.

Oh! And we got our Fabspeed exhaust + Chip shipped in (excited to hear this baby roar).

Enjoy the pictures!

So this is how the entire rear underside looked.

After one hour on the right side, compared to the top picture.

Also, can someone tell me how to rotate pictures after they have been posted. the pictures are the correct orientation when uploaded, but haven't figured out why it is rotating afterwards. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
964 , budget , build , carrera , porsche