Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 964 & 993 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1990 (964) Build Thread..

Hey guys,

This is our (my dad and I) build thread for our 964 Porsche. This one might be pretty lame compared to the "RS-4" thread, but thought I will share none the less.

So here was the old 964, which sadly we wrecked.

Picture from previous owner at time of sale. Through the help of you fellow enthusiasts, I followed a lead from M. Bruns, and found this roller in Florida for $8000. The car has a salvage title, however, here in the Virgin Islands, DMV doesn't really look at that sort of stuff. However, the body was in decent shape for what we got it for.

Hi for the forum dad!

I skipped a whole lot in us taking out the fenders, but they were a PITA to get out, from the layers of undercoating and manufacture glue. but it came out eventually. So we decided to go with a change of paint, and since this is all being done on a budget, we decided to do the inside painting ourselves, to save time and money also.

Anyway, now that I have started this thread I will be sure to keep posting once I remember to get pictures. Currently we are waiting on parts to arrive. I will post more pictures this afternoon of our make-shift garage and where the car stands right now.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This looks like a great project and you will have a load of fun driving her !
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
subscribed

you wrecked the old one pretty thoroughly!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What an awesome project! Good luck! I'm sure it's gonna turn out great! Keep the pictures coming!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Great stuff & good luck your project

Cheers,
Paul
Old 12-02-2014, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sub'd. Can't miss this one..
Old 12-02-2014, 11:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Update: Our "Garage"

Hey porsche-philes,

So I thought I would share with you guys our garage. We are in the process of building our house, and we are currently living in a townhouse. So we have had to deal with current situations. Plan is to get this car back out before my dad's 50th birthday.

So a little back story on the old car:

The car belonged to a friend of my dad's. He's a Corporate Lawyer. Anyway my dad was the mechanic on this car. He owns a marine repair shop down here in the British Virgin Islands, and is also a car mechanic, but prefers to keep to boats, and work only on our cars. However, my dad was entrusted with the task of taking care of the mechanicals of the 1989 964, as the owner could not trust anyone else here to drive or work on his car. Of course, my dad's dream car has always been a late 70's 930 Turbo, but a Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche.

Being a lawyer he travelled quite a bit, however, he never really drove the car. So whenever he went away, my dad got the car to drive around and make sure it was running great.

Well one day **** happened and now the car is like this. We were overtaking at an S turn (which one is able to see all the way through, so not much of a hazard, and is a well used overtaking spot, as we have single lanes each way here) and lost control of the car, clambered 10ft up into a hillside and came back onto the road hitting the vehicle that we were overtaking. Anyway needless to say the car broke itself to save us (German Engineering at its finest), and the other car came out of that accident with a scratch and cost us $200 to repair. SO YEA! It did not hinder their relationship, as to compensate, my dad paid the owner (friend) out the full price that was paid for the car.

Anyway, the car has been sitting there, and we had been looking for about 7 years for a rolling body to transfer interior and engine etc. and finally get my dad his compromise dream car back.

So I will stop the re...Enjoy some pictures!

Our makeshift garage:

Some glam shots (we rolled it out so that we could clean the 'garage' floor):

We have installed some of the front end units, using parts that was sent with the body and that we stripped from the old body. We got as far as we could, as we are waiting for parts.

Last edited by BVI_Porsche; 12-04-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Old 12-04-2014, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Update Cont'd

My laptop has been on the fritz lately...Thus the double post...

Continuing from where I left off...

Equipment need to get some love also:

Rust cut out and welded back in. We have yet to file it down and smoothen the area:

WAIT! Ass shot...Sorry I had to. We are going to widen the rear and front for the turbo look, however the rear flares were on B/O.

Christmas came early!! To save the shipping expenses, we ordered parts and had them sent to family in NY, then had them send it all in a big ole' crate:

Mixture of parts from Pelican, Eckler's Automotion, Duraflex (Yes we went that route, and we are quite aware of the work involved, but why not):

Old 12-04-2014, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Flares are steel:

We sent the leaking heads and cylinders out to Ollie's in Arizona to be machined to be adapted for use with seals:

Engine tins and Valve covers sourced from LA Dismantlers; Caleb was really helpful! And the parts are actually in a much better condition that was described:

MOAR parts!:

Our welcome pack from Pelican Parts! JELLY BEANS ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED!!

Last edited by BVI_Porsche; 12-07-2014 at 06:35 AM..
Old 12-04-2014, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
We got some interior materials. We have decided to change the tan interior to black with red accents. So we sourced the headliner material, vinyl, and Hide:

That's it for now! The car will be going back to stock, as we need to get it drivable again. Any upgrades will come in the form on suspension, brakes, cage, etc., but at a later date.

So I was driving around the other day and I stumbled upon this 930! My dad and I have always heard about this one here on island, but we never knew if it was true. Anyway I did not find the owner, but I spoke to someone about it, and basically the owner has run low on funds, but he just bought a 3.6 engine for it. The car is in immaculate condition, but the interior could use some TLC. My dad and I have our sights set on this car once we have completed or current.

EDIT: It is not a 930. It is 1982 911 SC (CS?). I've yet to locate owner.

Last edited by BVI_Porsche; 01-06-2015 at 05:34 PM..
Old 12-04-2014, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hey guys,

We have been looking for rear turbo (steel) flares online to no avail. Do any of you have any links or know where I'd be able to find a decent pair from?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVI_Porsche View Post
Hey guys,

We have been looking for rear turbo (steel) flares online to no avail. Do any of you have any links or know where I'd be able to find a decent pair from?

Did you try Restoration Design? They have 930 flares, which you can make work on a 964. But, if you want real 965 flares, I think you'll need to go to a dealer.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

nice work!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalracer View Post
Did you try Restoration Design? They have 930 flares, which you can make work on a 964. But, if you want real 965 flares, I think you'll need to go to a dealer.

Actually. No we haven't. Most of my search turned up on ebay or Automotion. We have the 930 front flares, so no need for a 965, I'll checknout Restoration Design to see what I can get
Old 12-08-2014, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Always great to see these cars alive again. Keep us posted on the progress.
77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 12-13-2014, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Update: Working with Duraflex kits.

Happy New Year to all!

So we have been very busy lately at work, thus we haven't been able to do much on the car. We wanted to start reassembling the engine, however, we forgot to order bearings.

This past weekend we decided to at least get things going again by working on the front bumper. The Duraflex front bumper has been designed to incorporate the guards underneath. However, there is quite a bit of work invilved in making it functional as you will now see through pictures.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
Coming along nicely

There is only one thing better than getting a box of parts...getting a crate of parts!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

What a story!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Update: [Working with Duraflex] F Bumper install

Hey guys,

so over the past two evenings, my dad one and us both tonight, managed to get the bumper aligned and top lip mounted on.

The lip on the underside doesn't quite match up with the mounting point on the undercarriage. However, some fiberglass work would clear that up. Just that the lip is just an inch too short. There is a quite a bit of work involved, but, some elbow grease and patience will be just fine.

I did not get much of the process in pictures, but I got some after wrapping up tonight. So completed the bumper, we just ordered Brake Ducts out from Porsche Shop based in the UK. Hopefully we can complete the front bumper by the weekend.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Nice progress. Keep up the good work! By the way, are you looking for any oem parts? I have a few parts that I took off of my car when I upgraded. Sway bars, rear center and left center section for the rear bumper, rear axle, front cover piece that goes under the bumper like the one in your pic above. That's what I can remember off the top of my head. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
964 , budget , build , carrera , porsche